Lessons Learned.

  • lochmatow
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
      At the age of 12, my saintly spiritual Father, Archimandrite
      Kiprian of Jordanville taught me a lesson I remember to this day.
      I expressed to him my indignation over the fact, that one
      hieromonk had received a " nagrada" that day, while my favorite was
      overlooked. I protested. Father Kiprian turned to me and said,
      " ZABILI TEBYA SPROSIT ".

      I am truly grateful.

      sinful deacon victor
    • Symeon
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
        Sorry, but this lister doesn't grock Russian...

        "lochmatow" <lochmven@...> writes:
        > " ZABILI TEBYA SPROSIT ".

        Babblefish renders this as:

        " CLOGGED TEBYA IT WILL ASK ".

        Somehow I think this isn't close.

        /Symeon
      • cantor71
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
          Ha!

          It means, "We forgot to ask you."

          George

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Symeon <fyh@n...> wrote:
          > Sorry, but this lister doesn't grock Russian...
          >
          > "lochmatow" <lochmven@n...> writes:
          > > " ZABILI TEBYA SPROSIT ".
          >
          > Babblefish renders this as:
          >
          > " CLOGGED TEBYA IT WILL ASK ".
          >
          > Somehow I think this isn't close.
          >
          > /Symeon
        • boulia_1
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
            Or "THEY forgot..."

            ... And I'm sure anyone who has known O. Kiprian can HEAR him saying
            this pearl of wisdom... In its cutting conciseness, it's classic!!

            ---Elizabeth

          • frvboldewskul@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2003
              This reminds me of another Fr. Kypian story. As many know, Father
              Archimandrite Kyprian was the spiritual father for thousands of Orthodox Christians
              during his life, and was the spiritual father for scores upon scores of seminarians
              who became priests. His iconography (and the school he established) make him,
              in my view, a theologian. His icon of the New Martyrs of Russia has become
              the symbol of the Russian Church Abroad in Russia. Archimandrite Kyprian was a
              true authority throughout our Church.

              In the summer of 1990 (when I was still a seminarian), a monk from the Pskov
              Percherski Monastery, Fr. Anastasius, was visiting Holy Trinity Monastery in
              Jordanville. I had met Fr. Anastasius the previous summer when I was in Russia.
              He was extremely helpful to me. Not knowing that he was in the Monastery, I
              was walking back to my room to the Seminary building from the Monastery
              printshop when I saw him in the reception room, through the window. He was talking
              to Fr. Kyprian. [Vladyka Laurus was away for several weeks (I think he was in
              Jerusalem) and Fr. Kyprian was in charge of the Monastery during Vladyka's
              absence.] As I looked through the window, Fr. Kyprian was showing so much
              kindness and joy. When I walk in and greeted Fr. Anastasius (or rather, interrupted
              their conversation) Fr. Kyprian rejoiced that he saw two friends saying hello.
              He treated Fr. Anastasius with love, respect and honor. He never said that
              "you can't serve here," because he knew Fr. Anastasius knew that already. I
              was "ordered" by Father Kyprian to take good care of our guest, and every day
              he asked "how is Batushka, does he need anything." What Fr. Anastasius saw
              that week in Jordanville was the true Russian Church Abroad. He encountered our
              Church's anchor and roots.

              Some have asked "why the rush to dialogue." Dear Orthodox-Synod list
              members, the process began no later than that summer day in 1990. It is true that
              that spirit was not followed up by others, even in the Monastery, but I have no
              doubt that Fr. Kyprian is rejoicing as he watches his spiritual children lead
              our Church back, as Vladyka Kyrill noted, "by miraculous means," ..."to its
              original path, the path of its founders." Last Monday would have been Fr.
              Kyprian's name's day. May his memory be eternal!

              In Christ,
              Priest Victor Boldewkul