[orthodox-synod] monastery prisons? was: blanco - my final words

  • emrys`nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 1999
      Rev'd. Fr. Hierodeacon Symeon
      <frsymeon@...> wrote:

      >>But secular counsel, in the face of the secular trial,
      >>had obstructed Church justice. If an ecclesiastic
      >>court found a monk or clergyman guilty of immorality,
      >>then I can understand the plaintiff taking criminal
      >>and civil action.

      Dear Father,

      I am not wanting to offer any contribution at all to the Blanco affair,
      but I have to say that the concept contained in your above sentence is
      extraordinary, although admittedly it was the practice in Catholic
      Europe in the Middle Ages when clerics were left to the ecclesiastical
      courts for judgement.

      But I cannot see how this would operate under modern systems of justice
      anywhere in the world. Just one example - should a clergyman accused of
      murder stand trial in a church court and only proceed to a civil trial
      if found guilty. And if acquitted by the church court, should the civil
      justice system then accept this verdict and leave him in peace.

      Is your own Synod capable of such legal work? I doubt it. And some
      Synods have an unfortunate proclivity to prefer to avoid this type of
      responsibility. It can be messy. Look at the reluctance of the Russian
      Church to take action on the matter of the recent moral charges against
      the Bishop of Ekaterinburg.

      But if you wish to return to the Church its medieval rights as judge and
      jury for clerics, then you'll have to advocate for the return of
      prison-monasteries also! Would your monastery in Texas welcome such a
      role? Why! you could be flooded by priests wanting to serve their
      sentence there and avoid the cold northern winters!!

      Fr Ambrose