Possible Virus

  • Rdr. Paul Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2003
      There is a possible virus which appears to be very prolific. I have received
      6 of these today.

      They appear as a "September 2003 Cumulative Patch" update from Microsoft.com
      and contains a very real looking page purporting to be from microsoft and
      there is a ".exe" attachment. Each of these that came in had the same
      visible page with an attachment with with the identical message, but with
      different names on the .exe file, but had the same size (106)kb.

      Sometimes the From name was recognizably Microsoft, but other times it was
      garbaged up. I did *not* open or execute any of these and I do not recommend
      that anyone do so. As far as I know, Microsoft never sends out e-mails with
      patches but relies on their web site for all updates.

      My Norton did *not* recognize it as a virus, however, so if it indeed is
      one,then it appears to be brand new or an unrecognized variant of another.

      Paul