Re: [rocaclergy] 2003.08.20 NG-Religion: What Should The Church Be Like Today

  • boulia_1
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2003
      Talk about getting emotional...
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "frpeterjackson"
      <frpeterjackson@y...> wrote:

      > Finally, I find it outrageous when anyone suggests that everyone
      > should "just learn Slavonic". Tell that to St. Stephen of Perm who
      > translated our texts into Permian, or to St. Innocent of Alaska
      > (Aleut) or St. Nicholas of Japan. None of them advocated imposing
      > Slavonic on converts. ... They just wanted people to understand,
      plain and simple.
      > Nowadays, we want to prevent people from understanding the
      services.
      > God forgive us.

      Was someone here advocating "imposing Slavonic on converts"? I recall
      that, in this thread, several people have said that the native
      language instead of Slavonic (or greek) is ideal for nonrussians.

      To repeat myself, the question of Slavonic vs. English (or German in
      Germany, French in France, etc.) is A DIFFERENT ISSUE than Slavonic
      vs. RUSSIAN. And i believe the latter question was the focus of this
      thread, begun with a posting of an interview, where an MP Bishop
      suggested that Russian should substitute for Slavonic.

      My take, for what it's worth (not much): I am a first-generation
      American and a Russian speaker and, yes, understanding the Slavonic
      requires an extra effort. I am glad to make that effort: I find it
      edifying and intellectually enriching. The texts often are multi
      layered in meaning anyway, so even understanding the WORDS doesn't
      guarantee understanding the text. (That's why we hope our spiritual
      fathers -- the clergy -- can help enlighten us, with well put
      sermons, discussions, etc.) I would hate to see Slavonic dropped,
      yes, partly because it's what I heard when I was in church with
      my "Babushka" (who, incidentally, contributed to the church
      literature extensively, composing IN Slavonic, not translating from
      some other language). But also because it is a beautiful, churchly
      language that crosses political Slavic boundaries.

      With all due respect, the problem often arises when converts enter a
      community (say, the Russian-speaking emigre community...) and then
      impose THEIR wishes and will on them, demanding change. Ultimately,
      I believe, the English speaking Orthodox community needs to be
      organized separately from the parishes that serve the emigre
      communities. I disagree thoroughly with the "English is the language
      of our country, learn it and expect to hear it in church" argument
      that has been put forth. If one learned the creed in Greek, or
      Slavonic, or Rumanian, one finds comfort in hearing those words in
      Greek, or Slavonic, or Rumanian when one goes to church. As a nation
      of immigrants, the U.S. in particular will always have people
      wanting --needing-- a church that they can feel at home in.
      Naturally, the English speakers need that too. Why can't there be
      both??

      in Christ, elizabeth