Struggle

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2003
      Struggle

      He, then, who knows what is to his benefit should struggle to acquire this
      virtue [patient endurance] before anything else, according to St. Basil the
      Great. For St. Basil advises us not to fight against all the
      passions at once, since if we are unsuccessful we might turn back and no
      longer be fit for the kingdom of heaven. Rather we should fight the
      passions one at a time, and start by patiently enduring whatever befalls
      us. This is right, for the person who lacks patient endurance will never be
      able to stand fast even in an ordinary battle.

                                       St. Peter of Damascus