Holy Transfiguration

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2003
      Holy  Feast of the Transfiguration of Our Lord Jesus Christ

      Troparion

      You were Transfigured on the Mount, O Christ God, Revealing Your glory to
      Your disciples as far as they could bear it. Let Your everlasting Light
      shine upon us sinners! Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Giver of
      Light, glory to You!

                                       [IMAGE]

      Kontakion

      On the Mountain You were Transfigured, O Christ God, And Your disciples
      beheld Your glory as far as they could see it; So that when they would
      behold You crucified, They would understand that Your suffering was
      voluntary, And would proclaim to the world, That You are truly the Radiance
      of the Father!

                       THE TRANSFIGURATION
      OF OUR LORD GOD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST

      In the third year of His preaching, the Lord Jesus often spoke to His
      disciples of His approaching passion but at the same time of His glory
      following His suffering on the Cross. So that His impending passion would
      not totally weaken His disciples and that no one would fall away from Him,
      He, the All-wise, wanted to partially show them His divine glory before His
      passion. For that reason, He took Peter, James and John with Him and, with
      them, went out at night to Mt. Tabor and there was transfigured before
      them: "And His face shone as the sun and His garments became white as snow"
      (St. Matthew 17:2). There appeared along side Him, Moses and Elijah, the
      great Old Testament prophets. And, seeing this, His disciples were amazed.
      Peter said: "Lord, it is good for us to be here: if You will, let us make
      here three tabernacles; one for You, one for Moses and one for Elijah" (St.
      Matthew 17:4). While Peter still spoke, Moses and Elijah departed and a
      bright cloud overshadowed the Lord and His disciples and there came a voice
      from the cloud saying: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased;
      hear Him" (St. Matthew 17:5). Hearing the voice, the disciples fell to the
      ground on their faces as though dead and remained that way, lying in fear,
      until the Lord came near to them and said: "Arise and be not afraid" (St.
      Matthew 17:7). Why did the Lord take only three disciples on Tabor and not
      all? Because Judas was not worthy to behold the divine glory of the
      Teacher, Whom he will betray and the Lord did not want to leave him [Judas]
      alone at the foot of the mountain so that the betrayer would not, by that,
      justify his betrayal. Why was our Lord transfigured on a mountain and not
      in a valley? So as to teach us two virtues: love of labor and
      godly-thoughts. For, climbing to the heights required labor and height
      represents the heights of our thoughts, i.e., godly-thoughts. Why was our
      Lord transfigured at night? Because, the night rather than the day is more
      suitable for prayer and godly-thoughts and because the night, by its
      darkness, conceals all the beauty of the earth and reveals the beauty of
      the starry heavens. Why did Moses and Elijah appear? In order to destroy
      the error of the Jews, as though Christ is one of the prophets; Elijah or
      Jeremiah or some other that is why He appears as a King above the prophets
      and that is why Moses and Elijah appear as His servants. Until then, our
      Lord manifested His divine power many times to the disciples but, on Mt.
      Tabor, He manifested His divine nature. This vision of His Divinity and the
      hearing of the heavenly witness about Him as the Son of God, should serve
      the disciples in the days of the Lord's passion, in strengthening of an
      unwavering faith in Him and His final victory.

                                      HYMN OF PRAISE

      THE TRANSFIGURATION OF OUR LORD GOD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST There, where
      Israel defeated Sisar There also condescended, the Heavenly King Prayer, to
      go and to nightly vigils, The glory of His Transfiguration, to manifest,
      And the faith of His followers, to confirm In the eternal victory of Him
      the Victor. There, divine light from Himself, He released Dispels the thick
      darkness, and illuminated Tabor; The Light, for a long time, which in
      Himself contained From which, to the world, a little at a time dispensed
      Abundant rays, now released, Jubilant rays, sweet rays. The glow of
      humanity, to reveal to heaven, To earth and to men, the Divine Truth. Let
      the firmament, its Representative see, Let the earth recognize God, the
      Savior.

      REFLECTION ON THE FEAST

      Why did our Lord not manifest His divine glory on Tabor before all the
      disciples instead of before three of them? First, because He Himself gave
      the Law through the mouth of Moses: "At the mouth of two witnesses or at
      the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established" (Deuteronomy
      19:15). Therefore, three witnesses are sufficient. These three witnesses
      represent three main virtues: Peter Faith, for he was the first to confess
      his faith in Christ as the Son of God; James Hope, for, with faith in the
      promise of Christ, he was the first who laid down his life for the Lord,
      being the first to be slain by the Jews; John Love, for he reclined on the
      bosom of the Lord and remained beneath the Cross of the Lord until the end.
      God is not called the God of many but rather the God of the chosen. "I am
      the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob" (Exodus 3:6).
      God often valued a faithful man more than an entire nation. Thus, on many
      occasions, He wanted to destroy the entire Jewish nation, but because of
      the prayers of righteous Moses, spared that nation to live. God listened
      more to the faithful Prophet Elijah than to the entire unbelieving kingdom
      of Ahab. Because of the prayers of one man, God towns and people. Thus, the
      sinful town of Ustiug was to be destroyed by fire and hail had it not been
      saved by the prayers of the one and only righteous man in it, St.
      Procopius, the "fool for Christ" (July 8).
                                                              Saint Nikolai
      Velimirovic