Kindness

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2003
      Kindness

      Concerning kindness, St. Nilus of Mt. Sinai writes: "My son, always strive
      to be simple and kind. Do not have one thing in your heart and another
      thing on your tongue for this is a ruse and a lie. Be truthful and not
      false for falsehood is of the evil one. Do not return evil for evil but if
      someone does you evil, forgive him so that God may also forgive you. If you
      are tormented by the remembrance of evil thoughts, pray to God for that
      brother [the evil doer] with your entire soul and the remembrance of evil
      thoughts will flee from you." It is told how a young man decided to serve a
      very eccentric old man so that God would forgive him of his sins. He
      endured twelve years in this most difficult service and presented himself
      to God. A great spiritual man saw the soul of the young man in Paradise as
      he was praying to God for the evil old man: "Lord, as You had mercy on me
      because of him, have mercy on him according to Your great goodness and
      because of me Your servant." After forty days this eccentric old man died
      and, again, that spiritual man saw the soul of that old man reposing in the
      Kingdom of Heaven. What a most beautiful and miraculous kindness of this
      patient youth in truth, miraculous!

                                                              Prologue of Ochrid