Re: [rocaclergy] PYRRHIC VICTORY OF ORTHODOXY

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2003
      JRS: In response to this posting, let me say the following:

      During my years in Chicago, I became interested in the parish baptismal
      register.

      To be sure, we have no such "scientific polls" for the Church Abroad as
      they do in Russia, but we do have records of infant and other baptisms,
      and I began trying to find what had become of those who were baptized
      in our church.

      There were several hundred whose names were in the register, but on any
      given Sunday, either none of these people were present, or perhaps one
      or two, who were more or less regular churchgoers.

      But, unlike the people in the Russian poll, more than 80% of whom
      considered themselves Orthodox, unfortunately a large number of those I
      was able to trace at all, had become involved in other denominations.

      So, if this article is supposed to make us "think twice about
      normalizing relations with the Church in Russia", we had best take a
      serious look at our own flock first...

    • Hristofor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2003
        That actually would coincide with the breakdown of worshippers at our,
        and proabbaly most other, parishes:
        1) Attends almsot every Liturgy
        2) Attends most Liturgies (2-3/month, plus a festal All-Night Vigil)
        3) About once a month
        4) Christmas and Pascha

        I do wonder about the validy of the articles, only because I beleive
        that "Sovershenno Sekretno" (Top Secret) is akin to such American papers
        as "The Enquirer" or "The Star". (though even the "New York Times" has
        lost some crediability in America, finally, after all the years of
        "Orthodoxophobic" reporting.) The name alone is somewhat dubious. In
        recent issues, there are articles such as The Furher's Persoanl
        Rasputin, The Curse of the Grimaldi Family, and Who Lost Stalingrad?

        Hristofor