Re: [orthodox-synod] Catacomb churches

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9 3:56 PM
      Dear Dimitra

      Regards the Catacomb Church in Russia it has always been somewhat unclear
      about numbers in
      general, the priesthood etc - initially they were mostly underground,
      although some on occasion had contact
      with the soviet MP. ROCA of that period had little contact with the
      "Catacombniki" but they recognised each other as
      being part of St Tihon's historical Russian Orthodox Church. In recent
      times they too, as ROCA itself, have splintered - some
      are in the ROAC , others with the Greek old calenderists, with Archbishop
      Lazar & Bishop Benjamin & their group - a minority
      remains with us & some who have not recognised anyone at all are on their
      own.

      Some "Catacombniki" have never recognised MP mysteries others came from the
      ranks of the MP to join them, so again
      there is no clear answer to cover all of them. Although the "Catacombniki"
      may constitute not large numbers nor a single
      point of reference nonetheless our ROCA hierarchy always considered them to
      be part of the historical pre-bolshevick Russian Orthodox Church. There are
      some ROCA publications published by Jordanville that may give you more
      information but I hope this is of assistance to you.

      unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra

      "ochichernie2" <dimitradd@...> on 10/07/2003 02:08:51 AM

      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Catacomb churches

      Can anyone out there tell me what is our connection to the
      Catacomb churches in Russia? What ones have joined ROCOR? WHat ones
      support ROCOR? What bishops and clergy do we have in Russia? Do any
      Catacomb churches recognize MP mysteries as valid, with or without
      being in communion with MP? Everyone always talks about issue of
      reunion with MP, but it's really reunion of *whole Russian Church*
      including Catacombs. I've even heard the statement, "There is no
      more Catacomb Church"! Do they worship opnely now?
      Also, if anyone could point me to a clarification of ROAC
      events. It looks like we lost a lot of parishes in Russia to them?
      I found some posts on the subject, but no real articles.
      Any info would be appreciated. Thanks as always!
      Dimitra

    • ochichernie2
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10 8:05 PM
        Thank you very much for our information, Fr. Basil. It's sad the
        Catacombniki are split amongst ROAC, Greeks, independents, and least
        of all, ROCOR.

        But there was an encouraging prophecy about a pious Tsar from the
        East gathering up the splinters again, and uniting the Church. If
        only it would be so!

        In Christ,
        Dimitra
      • byakimov@csc.com.au
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10 8:39 PM
          Dear Dimitra

          Yes, if such a pious Tsar were to come & gather all the brethren of
          our historical Russian Orthodox Church & much suffering land - indeed it
          would be
          a glorious & salvic time for Holy Russia. Lord let it be so!

          unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra

          "ochichernie2" <dimitradd@...> on 11/07/2003 01:05:45 PM

          To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Catacomb churches-Thank you Protodeacon