Catacomb churches

  • ochichernie2
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2003
      Can anyone out there tell me what is our connection to the
      Catacomb churches in Russia? What ones have joined ROCOR? WHat ones
      support ROCOR? What bishops and clergy do we have in Russia? Do any
      Catacomb churches recognize MP mysteries as valid, with or without
      being in communion with MP? Everyone always talks about issue of
      reunion with MP, but it's really reunion of *whole Russian Church*
      including Catacombs. I've even heard the statement, "There is no
      more Catacomb Church"! Do they worship opnely now?
      Also, if anyone could point me to a clarification of ROAC
      events. It looks like we lost a lot of parishes in Russia to them?
      I found some posts on the subject, but no real articles.
      Any info would be appreciated. Thanks as always!
      Dimitra
    • byakimov@csc.com.au
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2003
        Dear Dimitra

        Regards the Catacomb Church in Russia it has always been somewhat unclear
        about numbers in
        general, the priesthood etc - initially they were mostly underground,
        although some on occasion had contact
        with the soviet MP. ROCA of that period had little contact with the
        "Catacombniki" but they recognised each other as
        being part of St Tihon's historical Russian Orthodox Church. In recent
        times they too, as ROCA itself, have splintered - some
        are in the ROAC , others with the Greek old calenderists, with Archbishop
        Lazar & Bishop Benjamin & their group - a minority
        remains with us & some who have not recognised anyone at all are on their
        own.

        Some "Catacombniki" have never recognised MP mysteries others came from the
        ranks of the MP to join them, so again
        there is no clear answer to cover all of them. Although the "Catacombniki"
        may constitute not large numbers nor a single
        point of reference nonetheless our ROCA hierarchy always considered them to
        be part of the historical pre-bolshevick Russian Orthodox Church. There are
        some ROCA publications published by Jordanville that may give you more
        information but I hope this is of assistance to you.

        unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra

        "ochichernie2" <dimitradd@...> on 10/07/2003 02:08:51 AM

        To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: [orthodox-synod] Catacomb churches

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2003
          Thank you very much for our information, Fr. Basil. It's sad the
          Catacombniki are split amongst ROAC, Greeks, independents, and least
          of all, ROCOR.

          But there was an encouraging prophecy about a pious Tsar from the
          East gathering up the splinters again, and uniting the Church. If
          only it would be so!

          In Christ,
          Dimitra
        • byakimov@csc.com.au
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 10, 2003
            Dear Dimitra

            Yes, if such a pious Tsar were to come & gather all the brethren of
            our historical Russian Orthodox Church & much suffering land - indeed it
            would be
            a glorious & salvic time for Holy Russia. Lord let it be so!

            unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra

            "ochichernie2" <dimitradd@...> on 11/07/2003 01:05:45 PM

            To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
            cc:
            Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Catacomb churches-Thank you Protodeacon