Re: [orthodox-synod] Alexis Khomiakov

  • Philosophios
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      There is an excellent book that I picked up a couple of years ago on amazon.com called "On Spiritual Unity A Slavophile Reader." It contains writings by Khomiakov, Ivan Kirevsky, Nicholas Berdaev and Paul Florensky.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "jsomers11" <jsomers11@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Does anyone know if any of Khomiakov's writings have been published
        > in English? I have read "The Church is One", but am interested in
        > reading other things he wrote. Any suggestions?

        I don't know about other publications, however, there is planned a
        conference with a series of lectures on Khomiakov this fall (first
        weekend in Oct, iirc) at Jordanville. Given your interest in
        Khomiakov, this might be something you would be interested in
        attending.

        Pr David Moser
      • frmichaelc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
          In a message dated 7/3/2003 11:51:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          jsomers11@... writes:

          > Does anyone know if any of Khomiakov's writings have been published
          > in English? I have read "The Church is One", but am interested in
          > reading other things he wrote. Any suggestions?

          Dear in Christ John,

          "The Church is One" has seen a few editions, but his work "On the Western
          Confessions" was published in the anthology "Ultimate Questions" published by SVS
          press (A. Schmemann, editor).

          There is also a book, out of print for about 100 years, called "Russia and
          the English Church" or something like that, which includes the then-famous
          Khomiakov/Palmer correspondence. Palmer was an Anglican and member of the Oxford
          Movement. In his correspondence with Khomiakov, which was undertaken in English,
          he expresses an early version of the branch theory. Khomiakov charitably but
          firmly responds to this, asserts the unity of the One Church, and encourages
          Palmer to join it.

          He almost succeeded. Palmer ultimately became a Roman Catholic instead,
          citing Orthodoxy's 'internal inconsistencies' as an insurmountable obstacle to his
          conversion. (Khomiakov, following contemporary Russian practice, had told
          him he would be received by chrismation; when Palmer inquired of the the Greek
          Church, they told him that he would need to be baptized. Palmer saw this as a
          difference in theology rather than in church discipline.)

          I imagine you are mostly interested in Khomiakov's religious works. He was
          knowledgeable in many disciplines and was much published.

          priest Michael Carney