Alexis Khomiakov

  • jsomers11
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      Hello,

      Does anyone know if any of Khomiakov's writings have been published
      in English? I have read "The Church is One", but am interested in
      reading other things he wrote. Any suggestions?

      Thanks in advance. :)

      -John Somers
    • Philosophios
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
        There is an excellent book that I picked up a couple of years ago on amazon.com called "On Spiritual Unity A Slavophile Reader." It contains writings by Khomiakov, Ivan Kirevsky, Nicholas Berdaev and Paul Florensky.
        Does anyone know if any of Khomiakov's writings have been published
        in English? I have read "The Church is One", but am interested in
        reading other things he wrote. Any suggestions?

        Thanks in advance. :)

        -John Somers

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Priest David Moser
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "jsomers11" <jsomers11@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Does anyone know if any of Khomiakov's writings have been published
          > in English? I have read "The Church is One", but am interested in
          > reading other things he wrote. Any suggestions?

          I don't know about other publications, however, there is planned a
          conference with a series of lectures on Khomiakov this fall (first
          weekend in Oct, iirc) at Jordanville. Given your interest in
          Khomiakov, this might be something you would be interested in
          attending.

          Pr David Moser
        • frmichaelc@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2003
            In a message dated 7/3/2003 11:51:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            jsomers11@... writes:

            > Does anyone know if any of Khomiakov's writings have been published
            > in English? I have read "The Church is One", but am interested in
            > reading other things he wrote. Any suggestions?

            Dear in Christ John,

            "The Church is One" has seen a few editions, but his work "On the Western
            Confessions" was published in the anthology "Ultimate Questions" published by SVS
            press (A. Schmemann, editor).

            There is also a book, out of print for about 100 years, called "Russia and
            the English Church" or something like that, which includes the then-famous
            Khomiakov/Palmer correspondence. Palmer was an Anglican and member of the Oxford
            Movement. In his correspondence with Khomiakov, which was undertaken in English,
            he expresses an early version of the branch theory. Khomiakov charitably but
            firmly responds to this, asserts the unity of the One Church, and encourages
            Palmer to join it.

            He almost succeeded. Palmer ultimately became a Roman Catholic instead,
            citing Orthodoxy's 'internal inconsistencies' as an insurmountable obstacle to his
            conversion. (Khomiakov, following contemporary Russian practice, had told
            him he would be received by chrismation; when Palmer inquired of the the Greek
            Church, they told him that he would need to be baptized. Palmer saw this as a
            difference in theology rather than in church discipline.)

            I imagine you are mostly interested in Khomiakov's religious works. He was
            knowledgeable in many disciplines and was much published.

            priest Michael Carney