Re: [orthodox-synod] English Apostolos

  • Symeon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
      "Steve Liabotis" <s.liabotis@...> writes:
      > I have compiled an Epistle book in English....

      This sounds like just the thing. Actually, I'm using something along
      these lines now, but I don't know where the samizdat came from. I've
      been halfway considering putting such a book together myself, for my
      own use, but you've already done the work.

      I'll be in touch.

      For reference, I've listed the candidate publications I've found so
      far at <http://www.noon.org/apostolos.txt>. The one with the most
      "votes" (granted, a tiny sample!) has been the St. Tikhon's text,
      although the chads haven't sounded especially enthusiastic. I believe
      this uses "you/who" English, which isn't my preference, but might be
      fine except that the other material we use from Jordanville,
      Tennessee, and such use "thee/thou" English and it would be
      inconsistent.

      /Symeon
    • batushka@msn.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
        Father Stelian

        Christ is in our midst ! You should speak to Igumen George at Monastery. It might be something they would consider printing, or he could probably lead you to the right source.

        In Christ, Father Basil Grisel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2003

          Subject: Re: English Apostolos

          I have compiled an Epistle book in English, but lack the funds to professionally
          publish it. I have however found a source that can bind this book using a
          pressure spine. It is actually very good.
          I have used the King James version and the prokeimenon and alleluia translations
          are mostly taken from Fr. Lawrence's vigil service book. For the rare
          prokemenon I have used the psalter that Boston put out years ago.
          For the most part, I have kept the exact same format as the slavonic Epistle
          that we use. I have added some of the newer saints ie St. John of Krondstadt
          etc.

          I would be willing to send you a copy if you wish, but the printing costs are
          not cheap. It costs me almost $50.00 just to copy and bind the book.

          Priest Stelian Liabotis
          London Ontario Canada
          <<

          Dear Father,

          Is this compilation a file in a standard word processor or publishing program
          format? If so, you might look into the possibility of burning some CD's with
          the file (much cheaper than paper and ink printing) and market the CD's -
          allowing the purchaser to print and bind his own copy at his own expense.

          Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
          Boise, Idaho
        • Fr. Gregory Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2003
            >What Epistle lectionaries are available in English, suitable for a
            ROCA parish? (E.g., Slavic usage, probably HTM-style Psalter
            translations for prokeimen/allelulias, etc.) ...

            >I know that St. John of Kronstadt Press was going to publish one a
            few years ago (I pre-ordered one), but it seems nothing came of it.

            Thanks.

            /Symeon

            With apologies to you and all others, our Apostolos project was stalled (but
            not abandoned) by a desire to regularize the translations used in liturgical
            texts published here. The Apostolos presents a number of thorny issues, so
            is likely to be stalled quite a while longer. Anyone who has a backorder
            for this item and would prefer to abandon it in favor of a credit (or
            refund) may certainly do so.

            Fr. Gregory+
            St. John of Kronstadt Press