Re: [orthodox-synod] English Apostolos

  • Steve Liabotis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
      I have compiled an Epistle book in English, but lack the funds to professionally publish it. I have however found a source that can bind this book using a pressure spine. It is actually very good.
      I have used the King James version and the prokeimenon and alleluia translations are mostly taken from Fr. Lawrence's vigil service book. For the rare prokemenon I have used the psalter that Boston put out years ago.
      For the most part, I have kept the exact same format as the slavonic Epistle that we use. I have added some of the newer saints ie St. John of Krondstadt etc.

      I would be willing to send you a copy if you wish, but the printing costs are not cheap. It costs me almost $50.00 just to copy and bind the book.

      Priest Stelian Liabotis
      London Ontario Canada
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
        "Steve Liabotis" <s.liabotis@...> writes:
        > I have compiled an Epistle book in English....

        This sounds like just the thing. Actually, I'm using something along
        these lines now, but I don't know where the samizdat came from. I've
        been halfway considering putting such a book together myself, for my
        own use, but you've already done the work.

        I'll be in touch.

        For reference, I've listed the candidate publications I've found so
        far at <http://www.noon.org/apostolos.txt>. The one with the most
        "votes" (granted, a tiny sample!) has been the St. Tikhon's text,
        although the chads haven't sounded especially enthusiastic. I believe
        this uses "you/who" English, which isn't my preference, but might be
        fine except that the other material we use from Jordanville,
        Tennessee, and such use "thee/thou" English and it would be
        inconsistent.

        /Symeon
      • batushka@msn.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
          Father Stelian

          Christ is in our midst ! You should speak to Igumen George at Monastery. It might be something they would consider printing, or he could probably lead you to the right source.

          In Christ, Father Basil Grisel

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2003

            Subject: Re: English Apostolos

            I have compiled an Epistle book in English, but lack the funds to professionally
            publish it. I have however found a source that can bind this book using a
            pressure spine. It is actually very good.
            I have used the King James version and the prokeimenon and alleluia translations
            are mostly taken from Fr. Lawrence's vigil service book. For the rare
            prokemenon I have used the psalter that Boston put out years ago.
            For the most part, I have kept the exact same format as the slavonic Epistle
            that we use. I have added some of the newer saints ie St. John of Krondstadt
            etc.

            I would be willing to send you a copy if you wish, but the printing costs are
            not cheap. It costs me almost $50.00 just to copy and bind the book.

            Priest Stelian Liabotis
            London Ontario Canada
            <<

            Dear Father,

            Is this compilation a file in a standard word processor or publishing program
            format? If so, you might look into the possibility of burning some CD's with
            the file (much cheaper than paper and ink printing) and market the CD's -
            allowing the purchaser to print and bind his own copy at his own expense.

            Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
            Boise, Idaho
          • Fr. Gregory Williams
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2003
              >What Epistle lectionaries are available in English, suitable for a
              ROCA parish? (E.g., Slavic usage, probably HTM-style Psalter
              translations for prokeimen/allelulias, etc.) ...

              >I know that St. John of Kronstadt Press was going to publish one a
              few years ago (I pre-ordered one), but it seems nothing came of it.

              Thanks.

              /Symeon

              With apologies to you and all others, our Apostolos project was stalled (but
              not abandoned) by a desire to regularize the translations used in liturgical
              texts published here. The Apostolos presents a number of thorny issues, so
              is likely to be stalled quite a while longer. Anyone who has a backorder
              for this item and would prefer to abandon it in favor of a credit (or
              refund) may certainly do so.

              Fr. Gregory+
              St. John of Kronstadt Press