English Apostolos

  • Symeon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
      Dear Listers,

      What Epistle lectionaries are available in English, suitable for a
      ROCA parish? (E.g., Slavic usage, probably HTM-style Psalter
      translations for prokeimen/allelulias, etc.) The only possibility
      I've run across (on the Web) is the one published by the Holy Apostles
      Convent <http://www.buenavistaco.com/GOC/HRDPUB.HTM#Service-Books>.
      Does anyone have any experience with this edition? Any others to be
      recommended?

      I know that St. John of Kronstadt Press was going to publish one a
      few years ago (I pre-ordered one), but it seems nothing came of it.

      Thanks.

      /Symeon
    • Steve Liabotis
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
        I have compiled an Epistle book in English, but lack the funds to professionally publish it. I have however found a source that can bind this book using a pressure spine. It is actually very good.
        I have used the King James version and the prokeimenon and alleluia translations are mostly taken from Fr. Lawrence's vigil service book. For the rare prokemenon I have used the psalter that Boston put out years ago.
        For the most part, I have kept the exact same format as the slavonic Epistle that we use. I have added some of the newer saints ie St. John of Krondstadt etc.

        I would be willing to send you a copy if you wish, but the printing costs are not cheap. It costs me almost $50.00 just to copy and bind the book.

        Priest Stelian Liabotis
        London Ontario Canada
        What Epistle lectionaries are available in English, suitable for a
        ROCA parish? (E.g., Slavic usage, probably HTM-style Psalter
        translations for prokeimen/allelulias, etc.) The only possibility
        I've run across (on the Web) is the one published by the Holy Apostles
        Convent <http://www.buenavistaco.com/GOC/HRDPUB.HTM#Service-Books>.
        Does anyone have any experience with this edition? Any others to be
        recommended?

        I know that St. John of Kronstadt Press was going to publish one a
        few years ago (I pre-ordered one), but it seems nothing came of it.

        Thanks.

        /Symeon

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Symeon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
          "Steve Liabotis" <s.liabotis@...> writes:
          > I have compiled an Epistle book in English....

          This sounds like just the thing. Actually, I'm using something along
          these lines now, but I don't know where the samizdat came from. I've
          been halfway considering putting such a book together myself, for my
          own use, but you've already done the work.

          I'll be in touch.

          For reference, I've listed the candidate publications I've found so
          far at <http://www.noon.org/apostolos.txt>. The one with the most
          "votes" (granted, a tiny sample!) has been the St. Tikhon's text,
          although the chads haven't sounded especially enthusiastic. I believe
          this uses "you/who" English, which isn't my preference, but might be
          fine except that the other material we use from Jordanville,
          Tennessee, and such use "thee/thou" English and it would be
          inconsistent.

          /Symeon
        • batushka@msn.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2003
            Father Stelian

            Christ is in our midst ! You should speak to Igumen George at Monastery. It might be something they would consider printing, or he could probably lead you to the right source.

            In Christ, Father Basil Grisel

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2003

              Subject: Re: English Apostolos

              I have compiled an Epistle book in English, but lack the funds to professionally
              publish it. I have however found a source that can bind this book using a
              pressure spine. It is actually very good.
              I have used the King James version and the prokeimenon and alleluia translations
              are mostly taken from Fr. Lawrence's vigil service book. For the rare
              prokemenon I have used the psalter that Boston put out years ago.
              For the most part, I have kept the exact same format as the slavonic Epistle
              that we use. I have added some of the newer saints ie St. John of Krondstadt
              etc.

              I would be willing to send you a copy if you wish, but the printing costs are
              not cheap. It costs me almost $50.00 just to copy and bind the book.

              Priest Stelian Liabotis
              London Ontario Canada
              <<

              Dear Father,

              Is this compilation a file in a standard word processor or publishing program
              format? If so, you might look into the possibility of burning some CD's with
              the file (much cheaper than paper and ink printing) and market the CD's -
              allowing the purchaser to print and bind his own copy at his own expense.

              Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...
              Boise, Idaho
            • Fr. Gregory Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2003
                >What Epistle lectionaries are available in English, suitable for a
                ROCA parish? (E.g., Slavic usage, probably HTM-style Psalter
                translations for prokeimen/allelulias, etc.) ...

                >I know that St. John of Kronstadt Press was going to publish one a
                few years ago (I pre-ordered one), but it seems nothing came of it.

                Thanks.

                /Symeon

                With apologies to you and all others, our Apostolos project was stalled (but
                not abandoned) by a desire to regularize the translations used in liturgical
                texts published here. The Apostolos presents a number of thorny issues, so
                is likely to be stalled quite a while longer. Anyone who has a backorder
                for this item and would prefer to abandon it in favor of a credit (or
                refund) may certainly do so.

                Fr. Gregory+
                St. John of Kronstadt Press