Re: [orthodox-synod] Bari, Italy

  • Joachim Wertz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
      Dear Nick,

      I was in Bari in 1977 where I visited the relics of St. Nicholas. If I
      remember correctly, the relics were enclosed behind an iron grate. I was
      able to pray before them and light candles, but not venerate them. This
      seems to be the rule in Italy and elsewhere. In Rome there are of course
      many relics of saints. I particularly remember St. Cecilia and St Peter's
      Chains. If you can make it to Milan, you must visit the relics of St.
      Ambrose and Sts. Gervasius and Protasius, the protomartyrs of Milan.

      In Christ,

      Joachim Wertz

      From: for4z@...
      Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:28:28 EDT
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Bari, Italy

      Dear Listmembers,

      God-willing, I'll be in Rome next month. I have a desire to travel to Bari
      to venerate the relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. Whats the
      address/telephone number of our parish there? Are we still serving in the
      lower church?
      Is there a pilgrim's hotel on the grounds of the church? Also, I have heard
      that the Catholic clergy of the St. Nicholas Basilica only allow their
      fellow
      clergymen to actually approach and venerate the relics, is this true?

      And finally, what other relics of our common saints can be found in
      Rome/Italy?

      Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

      -Nick Zaharov

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • orthodoxchurch_sg
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 11:04 PM
        Evlogeite!
        In the early 1980s (1982, I think) I stayed with Fr Marco, the
        resident priest, in the enormous complex built for Russian pilgrims a
        century ago. I was there for about six weeks and it didnt occur to me
        until much later how odd it had been for Fr Marco (Italian) and me
        (English) to struggle through the Liturgy in Slavonic. We had daily
        services in the chapel there and once a week went into the town to
        serve a Molieben at the tomb of S. Nicolas. We were not allowed
        beyond the grille, but I still have oil from the lamp hanging over
        the precious relics.
        I wonder, could anyone tell me if ROCOR still holds that facility,
        and what happened to Fr Marco? There was also a young Italian
        (recent) convert staying at the same time - from Bologna, I seem to
        remember - Sergei. Does anyone know anything of him?
        God bless / Fr Daniel
      • Kirill Khroustalev
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 10:13 AM
          you can contact the ROCOR priest who serves there now through his
          LiveJournal or you can just write to him: priest Andrew htmbit@... I
          am not sure if he speaks English, but he might.
          The website is here:
          http://www.livejournal.com/users/preteandrei
          Just leave him a comment, and he will reply.

          Kirill

          > In the early 1980s (1982, I think) I stayed with Fr Marco, the
          > resident priest, in the enormous complex built for Russian pilgrims a
          > century ago. I was there for about six weeks and it didnt occur to me
          > until much later how odd it had been for Fr Marco (Italian) and me
          > (English) to struggle through the Liturgy in Slavonic. We had daily
          > services in the chapel there and once a week went into the town to
          > serve a Molieben at the tomb of S. Nicolas. We were not allowed
          > beyond the grille, but I still have oil from the lamp hanging over
          > the precious relics.
          > I wonder, could anyone tell me if ROCOR still holds that facility,
          > and what happened to Fr Marco? There was also a young Italian
          > (recent) convert staying at the same time - from Bologna, I seem to
          > remember - Sergei. Does anyone know anything of him?
          > God bless / Fr Daniel

        • Daniele Marletta
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2 1:23 PM
            Dear Nick,

            > And finally, what other relics of our common saints can be found in
            > Rome/Italy?

            In Pistoia, near Florence, in the orthodox monastery of Saint Seraphim of
            Sarov, there are the relics of Saint Alexander martyr.In Italy he is very
            venerated.

            Deacon Daniele Marletta
            Florence - Italy
          • for4z@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2 2:43 PM
              Thank you all for your help, I very much appreciate it. I will pray for all
              of you at St. Nicholas.

              -Nick Zaharov

              In a message dated 7/1/2003 11:07:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              orthodoxchurch_sg@... writes:

              > I wonder, could anyone tell me if ROCOR still holds that facility,
              > and what happened to Fr Marco?

              Fr. Marco is listed as a cleric of the MP. The official MP site has listings
              for parishes abroad and he's listed a priest somewhere in Italy.