Bari, Italy

  • for4z@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2003
      Dear Listmembers,

      God-willing, I'll be in Rome next month. I have a desire to travel to Bari
      to venerate the relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. Whats the
      address/telephone number of our parish there? Are we still serving in the lower church?
      Is there a pilgrim's hotel on the grounds of the church? Also, I have heard
      that the Catholic clergy of the St. Nicholas Basilica only allow their fellow
      clergymen to actually approach and venerate the relics, is this true?

      And finally, what other relics of our common saints can be found in
      Rome/Italy?

      Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

      -Nick Zaharov
    • byakimov@csc.com.au
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
        Dear Nick

        There is a good article found here:
        http://www.pravoslavie.ru/sretmon/bari2.htm
        Venerating the relics in Bari - when I was there in 1972 - we as a group
        were allowed to venerate them
        etc. Best speak to our ROCA Rector of the lower church -

        THE ADDRESSof the RECTOR for contact may have changed recently but this may help you

        Andrei Troufanov, Priest
        CORSO BENEDTTO CROCE, 130
        BARI 70125
        ITALY

        Last Update: Jun 30th, 2002

        Telephone: (080) 552-0880

        St. Nicholas Church & St. Spiridon Church
        CORSO BENEDTTO CROCE, 130
        BARI 70125
        ITALY

        Last Update: Nov 1st, 2002

        Telephone: (080) 552-0880
        Services: S, Italian
        Diocese: W. Europe
        Service Schedule: During winter, services every
        other Sunday.

        Priest Andrei Troufanov

        When you are there please pray for me & mine..

        protodeacon Basil from Canberra

        for4z@... on 29/06/2003 05:28:28 AM

        To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: [orthodox-synod] Bari, Italy

        Dear Listmembers,

        God-willing, I'll be in Rome next month. I have a desire to travel to Bari
        to venerate the relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. Whats the
        address/telephone number of our parish there? Are we still serving in the
        lower church?
        Is there a pilgrim's hotel on the grounds of the church? Also, I have
        heard
        that the Catholic clergy of the St. Nicholas Basilica only allow their
        fellow
        clergymen to actually approach and venerate the relics, is this true?

        And finally, what other relics of our common saints can be found in
        Rome/Italy?

        Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

        -Nick Zaharov

        -
      • Joachim Wertz
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
          Dear Nick,

          I was in Bari in 1977 where I visited the relics of St. Nicholas. If I
          remember correctly, the relics were enclosed behind an iron grate. I was
          able to pray before them and light candles, but not venerate them. This
          seems to be the rule in Italy and elsewhere. In Rome there are of course
          many relics of saints. I particularly remember St. Cecilia and St Peter's
          Chains. If you can make it to Milan, you must visit the relics of St.
          Ambrose and Sts. Gervasius and Protasius, the protomartyrs of Milan.

          In Christ,

          Joachim Wertz

          From: for4z@...
          Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 14:28:28 EDT
          To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com

          Dear Listmembers,

          God-willing, I'll be in Rome next month. I have a desire to travel to Bari
          to venerate the relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker. Whats the
          address/telephone number of our parish there? Are we still serving in the
          lower church?
          Is there a pilgrim's hotel on the grounds of the church? Also, I have heard
          that the Catholic clergy of the St. Nicholas Basilica only allow their
          fellow
          clergymen to actually approach and venerate the relics, is this true?

          And finally, what other relics of our common saints can be found in
          Rome/Italy?

          Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

          -Nick Zaharov

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • orthodoxchurch_sg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1 11:04 PM
            Evlogeite!
            In the early 1980s (1982, I think) I stayed with Fr Marco, the
            resident priest, in the enormous complex built for Russian pilgrims a
            century ago. I was there for about six weeks and it didnt occur to me
            until much later how odd it had been for Fr Marco (Italian) and me
            (English) to struggle through the Liturgy in Slavonic. We had daily
            services in the chapel there and once a week went into the town to
            serve a Molieben at the tomb of S. Nicolas. We were not allowed
            beyond the grille, but I still have oil from the lamp hanging over
            the precious relics.
            I wonder, could anyone tell me if ROCOR still holds that facility,
            and what happened to Fr Marco? There was also a young Italian
            (recent) convert staying at the same time - from Bologna, I seem to
            remember - Sergei. Does anyone know anything of him?
            God bless / Fr Daniel
          • Kirill Khroustalev
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2 10:13 AM
              you can contact the ROCOR priest who serves there now through his
              LiveJournal or you can just write to him: priest Andrew htmbit@... I
              am not sure if he speaks English, but he might.
              The website is here:
              http://www.livejournal.com/users/preteandrei
              Just leave him a comment, and he will reply.

              Kirill

              > In the early 1980s (1982, I think) I stayed with Fr Marco, the
              > resident priest, in the enormous complex built for Russian pilgrims a
              > century ago. I was there for about six weeks and it didnt occur to me
              > until much later how odd it had been for Fr Marco (Italian) and me
              > (English) to struggle through the Liturgy in Slavonic. We had daily
              > services in the chapel there and once a week went into the town to
              > serve a Molieben at the tomb of S. Nicolas. We were not allowed
              > beyond the grille, but I still have oil from the lamp hanging over
              > the precious relics.
              > I wonder, could anyone tell me if ROCOR still holds that facility,
              > and what happened to Fr Marco? There was also a young Italian
              > (recent) convert staying at the same time - from Bologna, I seem to
              > remember - Sergei. Does anyone know anything of him?
              > God bless / Fr Daniel

            • Daniele Marletta
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2 1:23 PM
                Dear Nick,

                > And finally, what other relics of our common saints can be found in
                > Rome/Italy?

                In Pistoia, near Florence, in the orthodox monastery of Saint Seraphim of
                Sarov, there are the relics of Saint Alexander martyr.In Italy he is very
                venerated.

                Deacon Daniele Marletta
                Florence - Italy
              • for4z@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2 2:43 PM
                  Thank you all for your help, I very much appreciate it. I will pray for all
                  of you at St. Nicholas.

                  -Nick Zaharov

                  In a message dated 7/1/2003 11:07:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                  orthodoxchurch_sg@... writes:

                  > I wonder, could anyone tell me if ROCOR still holds that facility,
                  > and what happened to Fr Marco?

                  Fr. Marco is listed as a cleric of the MP. The official MP site has listings
                  for parishes abroad and he's listed a priest somewhere in Italy.