Path of Life and the Path of Death

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26 2:37 PM
      About the path of life and the path of death

      "Sometimes a way seems right to a man but the end of it leads to death!" (
      Proverbs 14:12).

      It sometimes appears to man that the path of the godless is right for he
      sees that the godless obtains riches and succeeds. O, if it where only
      given to him to see the end of that path! He would be horrified and would
      never tread on that path.

      If the end of a path terminates in destruction, can it be the right path?
      Therefore, O man, do not say that one path is right if you do not see its
      end. You ask: "How could I, a weak and shortsighted man, perceive the end
      of a long path?" In two ways: by reading Holy Scripture through the
      experience of the Orthodox Church and by observing the end of the path of
      life of those around you and those who die before you. However, the first
      path is the more reliable path and if you adhere to it, know that you will
      not stumble into the night of eternal death.

      Only that path is right which is shown by God as right. All other paths
      that appear as right to your mind and do not coincide with the path of God
      are wrong and are deadly. Behold, even the beasts have their paths but
      would you travel those paths if they seemed right to you? Do not go, for in
      the end you will fall into the hungry jaws of the beasts. And the path
      shown by God, even if it appears wrong to you, is right - therefore travel
      by it. Because of our sins, the path of God occasionally seems wrong to us.
      If we were without sin and if our mind was not distorted by sin it would
      not be possible for us, even for a moment, to conceive that another path
      would be right except God's path. To a distorted mind many wrong paths seem
      right and the only right path as being wrong.

      O All-seeing Lord, our Guide, correct our mind so as not to be detained on
      the wrong paths. Jesus, You are the only Path, Truth and Life and that
      which we fantasize apart from You is the wrong way, a lie and death.

      To You be glory and thanks always. Amen.
                                                                     Saint
      Nikolai Velimirovic