Re:Fundemental Question

  • Reader Timothy Tadros
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2003
      In the words of the new Hieromartyr Metropolitan Cyril of Kazan, of
      which the Russian Orthodox Church in Exile, Abroad, Outside Russia
      whatever; has always used St. Cyril's definition about their non-
      concelebration with Sergianists and the Moscow Patriarchate. I
      quote: " I am not separating from anything holy, from anything that
      authentically belongs to the Church. I fear only to approach and
      cling to that which I recognize as sinful in its origin, and
      therefore I refrain from brotherly communion with Metropolitan
      Sergius and the Archpastors who are one mind with him... By thus
      refraining for my part, I am not in the least affirming or
      suspecting ANY LACK OF GRACE {ed.} in the sacred actions and
      mysteries performed by Sergianists (may the Lord God preserve us
      from such a thought), but I only underline my un-willingness and
      refusal to participate in the sins of others." He also goes on to
      say when was accused of breaking with Church discipline concerning
      non-concelebration. "Church discipline is capable of preserving its
      efficacy as long as it is the actual reflection of the hierarchical
      conscience of the Orthodox Catholic Church; and discipline can never
      itself replace this conscience". St. Cyril wrote to Metropolitan
      Sergius I consider you a usurper of Church authority and refuse to
      submit to your administrative-ecclesiastical decrees, as well as the
      synod that you established".
      In 1946 when Metropolitan Theophilus (Metropolia) was in
      concelebration and recognized the authority of the ROCA he said: "a
      particular interest is now being shown by Moscow in the Orthodox of
      America by the so called Patriarchal Church, which in reality does
      not exist since,... the election of his (Patriarch Tikhon's)
      successors were not conducted according to the canons of the
      Church... " If the Russian Church Abroad chooses to refrain from con-
      celebrating then it is not based on the personal merits or defects
      of the clergy, but it is rather based on the reasoning of
      Metropolitan of Cyril of Kazan that to con-celebrate (which implies
      one heart and one mind) would be hypocritical considering our
      differences".
      Reader Timothy Tadros