BUILDING APPEAL

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2003
      BUILDING APPEAL http://www.holynewmartyrs.com/building_appeal.htm

      On Sunday, April 4, 1998, the Feast of Our Lord's Entrance into Jerusalem,
      the mission parish of the Holy New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia was
      established by the blessing of His Grace Gabriel, bishop of Manhattan in
      the God-protected city of Norwich. Ours is the first parish of the Russian
      Orthodox Church Outside Russia formed in Eastern Connecticut, and is the
      only Orthodox parish which maintains the usage of the traditional Julian
      Calendar in the region.

      Our parish was born out of truth and witness to the two-thousand- year-
      old history of Orthodox Christianity, and a struggle to maintain our faith
      unbroken and unchanged against the intrusions of modern times. It is
      indeed sad to see so many Orthodox churches which have succumbed to
      modernism and ecumenism. Our little community stands alone against the
      tremendous tide to get "in step" with the times.

      Our parish was established with tremendous hard work and sacrifice, in
      prayer and service to God, and through the generous gifts of support from
      so many people across the country.

      In four short years our parish has doubled in numbers. We have members
      from all walks of life, from Orthodox and non-Orthodox backgrounds, new
      arrivals and old émigrés, and our sphere of influence has widened to cover
      three states. We have raised funds through appeals and donations, dinners,
      tag sales and from many, many concerned and generous people. With the
      moneys we have collected we have purchased eight beautiful acres of
      farmland where our future church will be built. Everything that has been
      given to us comes with love for God and His Holy Church.

      Up until Great Lent last year we had been planning to erect our church,
      and the plans were being completed in order for construction to begin late
      in the year. We had hoped to be much further along by this point in time.
      The construction plans were being finished by our architect, Mr. Paul
      Tiajaloff, who is a member of the commission on Church Architecture for
      the Russian Church Abroad. We knew that we weren't financially prepared
      for this task. There were many issues still to be addressed, but we were
      pressing forward.

      During Great Lent it became especially apparent that the evil one was
      doing everything he could in order to upset our spiritual lives and our
      plans. It was during this most sacred period of the Church Year that we
      came under persecution once more new restrictions have been imposed on our
      church life by our landlords. We have tried to comply with the demands of
      the landlord to the best of our ability, which included the request to not
      use candles during our services. We use candles and lampadas at a minimum,
      but no longer can sell candles to be put up before ikons. We need to make
      other accommodations as it has become increasingly difficult to function
      within our faith. Leading up to our annual meeting we all seemed to want
      the same thing, to leave our present location and relocate onto our
      property as quickly as possible.

      In June 2002 we held our annual parish meeting. It was at this meeting
      when an almost unanimous voice seemed to rise from the assembly. We
      decided to set aside the plans for our church and do whatever it takes to
      move, and as quickly as possible. We could be evicted at anytime.

      As stated previously, we are not adequately prepared to raise the church.
      To do so properly will take more time and better preparation on our part.
      We sought advise and guidence from our hierarch, Bishop Gabriel, and from
      one of our pre-eminent priests, Father Valery Lukianov. It was the
      decision of the parish to construct a large parish center. The building
      will hold a large dining hall for various functions, a commercial-style
      kitchen, book store, lavatories and a large class room which will serve as
      our church for the time being. The building will be simple in style, easy
      to construct and we will finally be on our land.

      We need your assistance.

      Our finances have come up short. Any amount that you can offer to help us
      in our efforts to build the church hall and relocate to our property will
      be greatly appreciated. We are not asking for a lot, just a small donation
      can do a great deal to help us.

      A $10.00 donation from every person who receives this letter will solve
      our financial shortfall. Please, won't you help us? Time is getting short,
      construction has begun, and we would like to relocate to our own premises
      as soon as it is possible. All we ask for is $10.00.

      Thank you for your kindness and consideration. As we begin the Great Fast
      in preparation for our Lord's Passion, Death and Resurrection we humbly
      ask forgiveness and your prayers for the well being of our parish. May God
      grant you a prosperous and  peaceful life, health, salvation  and
      furtherance in all good things !

      With love in Christ,
      Protopriest Basil Grisel
    • batushka@msn.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5, 2003
        Dear in Christ Father Deacon Basil, and readers,

        Sprazdnikom ! Greetings for the feast of Our Lord's Ascension !

        Thank you so much for this effort to help our little parish. We are
        desperately trying to complete our building and move in by the end of the
        year.

        I would just like to ask, anyone who wishes to make a donation toward the
        completion of our building may post to:

        Holy New Martyrs Building Fund
        P.O. Box 389
        Norwich, CT 06360

        We thank you all for your prayers and financial gifts ! Father Basil Grisel