Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Defrocked but First Hierarch Commemorated

  • VladMoss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
      larrymost2002@... writes:

      > Rather than railing against the MP I would rather spend my time PRAYING for
      > the MP. I know that there are probably KGB agents etc. in the MP, but I
      > would rather have what we have today than what we had in the 60's 70's and 80's.
      > At least the Church has a chance to grow and eventually be pure. Besides, who
      > am I to make a harsh judgement on others. I'm sorry if I offended you
      > guys,but I would rather spend my time praying for the MP, not hating it.

      Pray for them by all means - and for the other Russian jurisdictions, such as
      Suzdal, ROCOR (V), the Seraphimo-Gennadiites, who are all more Orthodox than
      the MP.

      But don't think that you can remain truly Orthodox if you do not hate the
      enemies of Orthodoxy with the kind of "perfect hatred" that the Prophet David
      speaks about. In other words, a hatred that has no personal element in it, no
      fallen passion it it, but only unalloyed zeal for the truth.

      This is not an option, this is a duty. We are reminded of it every Sunday of
      Orthodoxy when, with a pure zeal for the truth, we anathematize all the
      enemies of Orthodoxy.

      Vladimir Moss

    • V. Boitchenko
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
        Dear Mr. Kozyrev,

        May I ask if someone in the Synod gave you any authority to speak in the name of the ROCOR? I am really confused. Are you sure you are in the right church? Do you have any authority to accuse anyone of heresy or should it be the Council to have such authority? I also wonder if you (or anyone else) individually have any authority to apply anathemas as they feel fit in order to suit their political convictions. I do not know that the Synod has ever stated officially that all the anathemas against ecumenism or any other false doctrine specifically apply to the Moscow Patriarchate, and therefore MP is "heretical." If it is only your personal opinion please say so.

        v.

        Dear Lawrence,

        The ROCOR has been watchful for eighty years, and we have become
        tired of defending the faith. That is the first reason for us to pray.

        « Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The
        spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Mark 14:37-39)

        You are perfectly right in saying that we should pray for the
        sinners.

        I think however you are mistaken when you say that we should pray
        *instead* of denouncing the sin. Denouncing the sin and praying for
        the sinner are both inseparable obligations for the Christian. The
        horror of their sin is the reason why we must pray for them and why
        we cannot endorse their sin by associating with them before they
        renounced it.

        « It is therefore unlawful, and a profanation, and an act the
        punishment of which is death, to love to associate with unholy
        heretics, and to unite yourself to their communion ». (St. Cyril of
        Alexandria).

        It is an error to believe that we should chose between faith and
        love. None can suffer from the other. Both are inseparable. This was
        discussed many times on this site.

        "Frequently, on this forum and in many other circumstances, the
        relationship of our Church with the heretical MP is presented in a
        wrong way, in my opinion. That is why many around us believe that we
        must soften somewhat the rigor of the dogma in order to accommodate
        the necessity to love the victims of heresy and apostasy". (message
        6598).

        Let us not overlook the danger of being seduced under the pretext of
        brotherly love.

        « Do not, even for the sake of defending the faith, converse with
        heretics, for fear less their words instill their venom into thy
        mind. If thou meet with a book said to be by one of the heretics,
        read it not, lest it fill thy heart with deadly poison; but so
        continue in that doctrine which thou hast learnt in holy church, as
        neither to add or to take from it. « Isaias, Abbot [4th Cent.]

        In God,

      • frpeterjackson
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
          I also think it is time to abolish the EP in Istanbul and promote the
          MP to 'First among Equals'.

          > Alban

          Of course, even if the EP were to fall away from the Church, as Rome
          did a millenium ago, the highest ranking patriarchate would then be
          Alexandria.

          Priest Peter Jackson
        • sergerust2002
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 4, 2003
            Mr Kozyreff wrote:
            > The ROCOR has been watchful for eighty years,
            > and we have become tired of defending the faith.

            Mr Boytchenko answered:
            > May I ask if someone in the Synod gave you any authority to speak
            > in the name of the ROCOR? I am really confused.
            > Are you sure you are in the right church?

            Dear Mr Boytchenko,

            Do you mean that ROCOR *has not* been watchful for 80 years ?

            Where do you think Mr Kozyreff is at odds with ROCOR teaching ?

            Your rhetorical question "Are you sure you are in the right
            church ?" does not bring any evidence to the subject. It is simply an
            ad hominem consideration. The debated question is not whether Mr
            Kozyreff is sure or not sure of his opinions.

            The debated question is much more important. Its importance is
            recognized by the Sobor, since it is has appointed a Commission for
            the "Unity of the Russian Church" (while Metropolitan Vitaly
            claims that such commission has no object).

            Maybe it would be more clear to put it this way : How come you do not
            ask to Fr John Show "Are you sure you are in the right church ?",
            when he claims that the anathema against ecumenism was "a damage" ?

            In Christ,

            Serge Rust
          • vkozyreff
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 4, 2003
              Dear Mr Boitchenko,

              Thank you for your message.

              Your question: May I ask if someone in the Synod gave you any
              authority to speak in the name of the ROCOR? I am really confused.

              I do not speak in the name of ROCOR, I just express what she has
              always taught me (and you, if you are orthodox). If I say "the ROCOR
              has been faithful for eighty years", I make a statement, which I
              claim to be correct, and which, I claim, will be supported by most
              believers.

              Your question: Are you sure you are in the right church?

              Yes, I am in the orthodox Church.

              Your question: Do you have any authority to accuse anyone of heresy
              or should it be the Council to have such authority?

              Stating that the MP is heretical is not exerting any authority or
              accusing it any longer in our days. It is just mentioning a well know
              established fact. Since ecumenism and sergianism are heresies, and
              have been anathematised, professing them is being heretical. In the
              same way, calling the Latino-catholic heretical is not accusing them
              any more. It is mentioning an established fact.

              Your question: I also wonder if you (or anyone else) individually
              have any authority to apply anathemas as they feel fit in order to
              suit their political convictions.

              I did not apply any anathema. An anathema is not "applied". An
              anathema has been proclaimed or has not. It is as simple as that. If
              you knowingly profess an opinion that has been anathematised, you are
              anathema without any further administrative measure.

              Since sergianism and ecumenism were anathematised, those who profess
              them are anathema. "Ya zdyes ni pri chom". To hate sergianism and
              ecumenism is not political, it is being faithful to orthodoxy.

              Your question: I do not know that the Synod has ever stated
              officially that all the anathemas against ecumenism or any other
              false doctrine specifically apply to the Moscow Patriarchate, and
              therefore MP is "heretical." If it is only your personal opinion
              please say so.

              God does not know "official statements" and does not need them. An
              anathema applies to all those who profess the positions that have
              been anathematised, whether officially confirmed or not. The anathema
              is God's judgement and the Church only explicitly expresses it. As
              explained by Vladimir Moss, (Message 8513), all heresies and heretics
              are anathematised 'from all eternity' by the eternal Lord, for just
              as every truth is approved by the Truth Himself from all eternity, so
              is every lie and condemned by Him from all eternity, being condemned
              with 'the father of lies' to the gehenna of fire (Revelation 22.15).

              In God,

              Vladimir Kozyrrev

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "V. Boitchenko"

            • V. Boitchenko
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 4, 2003
                Dear Mr. Rust,

                >>Do you mean that ROCOR *has not* been watchful for 80 years ?

                No, I did not mean that. However, can you tell me what is meant by that statement exactly? As Orthodox, I believe that my Church has been watchful for 2000 years and not some 80.

                >>Where do you think Mr. Kozyreff is at odds with ROCOR teaching ?

                In my opinion Mr. Kozyreff made statements that go beyond what the Church Abroad has taught. Here are some examples:

                >>VK:...the relationship of our Church with the heretical MP...

                Our Church has never taught or proclaimed MP to be "heretical." Mr. Kozyreff took the liberty to speak on behalf of the Church and make such claim.

                >>VK:...Let us not overlook the danger of being seduced under the pretext of brotherly love...

                I agree. Let us not. Who is the seducer?

                >>VK:...and we have become tired of defending the faith...

                Who is we? Did the Church Abroad or any of its officials ever declare that "they are tired of defending the faith?" Do you believe that is what we teach? If Mr. Kozyreff is "tired after defending the faith for 80 years", my question is not as rhetorical as it seems to you. Anyone who is tired of defending the faith must be in the wrong church.

                >Your rhetorical question "Are you sure you are in the right
                >church ?" does not bring any evidence to the subject. It is simply an
                >ad hominem consideration. The debated question is not whether Mr
                >Kozyreff is sure or not sure of his opinions.

                I hope this clarifies what I meant and answers your questions.

                In XC,