Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Defrocked but First Hierarch Commemorated

  • larry most
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2003
      CHRIST IS RISEN - INDEED HE IS RISEN
      Dear Vladimir,
      Rather than railing against the MP I would rather spend my time PRAYING for the MP. I know that there are probably KGB agents etc. in the MP, but I would rather have what we have today than what we had in the 60's 70's and 80's. At least the Church has a chance to grow and eventually be pure. Besides, who am I to make a harsh judgement on others. I'm sorry if I offended you guys,but I would rather spend my time praying for the MP, not hating it.
      Love in Christ,
      Sub-deacon Lawrence

      vkozyreff <vladimir.kozyreff@...> wrote:
      Dear Sub-deacon Lawrence,

      You write: "I don't have any special interest with them�I have yet to
      figure out why you hate them so much".

      "I hated injustice and I loved your law. " (Ps 119, 163), (Rom. 12,
      19). "Christians must hate to lie and every way of injustice." (Ps
      119, 163). "I hate the double-minded but I love your Law (Ps 119:13).

      "A common misconception is that hatred is never an option and should
      not exist in the vocabulary of the pious God-loving, peace-loving and
      mature Christian. But the Holy Romanian Father Cleopa states that
      there is a form of hatred that is not only allowed, but commendable
      in the life of the devout Christian. The type of hatred that our Lord
      Jesus Christ refers to in the second chapter of the book of the
      Revelation: "You hate the works of the Nicolaitans which I also
      hate." (Rev. 2:6)".

      http://holyorthodoxy.tripod.com/romanianfathers.html

      If you are a member of the ROCOR, you know that the only reason that
      ROCOR is stil in existence is that the MP is still in existence.

      The ROCOR must reunite with the rest of the Russian Church (and thus
      disappear as such) as soon as freedom to reunite has returned. The
      discussion that we have is about the fact that, if freedom has
      returned in Russia, we should unite with the MP, but only if it is a
      part of the real Church.

      So thus, the question of the MP's nature is capital for any member of
      the ROCOR. The schism that we experience stems from the disagreement
      as to whether or not the MP is the real Church.

      In message 8522, I have mentioned Father Alexander Lebedeff's 1994
      opinion, following which a merge with the MP would mean ROCOR failing
      in her mission. Father John has explained to us that Father Alexander
      in the meantime had changed his mind.

      Below however is recent information supporting the notion that the MP
      is still strongly in KGB's hands and yet for some quite some time to
      come.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      "The Moscow Helsinki group has distributed the text of a letter from
      one of its members, priest George Edelstein to the president of
      Russia Vladimir Putin. The occasion for the letter is the recent
      award in the Kremlin of the order of Friendship to metropolitan of
      Voronezh and Lipetsk, Mefodii.

      The author of the letter remarks that this bishop of the MP, along
      with the metropolitan of Smolensk and Kaliningrad Cyril, in
      connection with the recent worsening of patriarch Aleksii's health,
      is considered as a probable candidate to the patriarchal throne.

      George Edelstein provides evidence indicating that metropolitan
      Mefodii in the past was an officer of the KGB and besides had in the
      Church the reputation of being an atheist and of living in vice.

      As to metropolitan Cyril, according to Father George, he has long
      been heading the Department of External Church Relations ("RPTS"),
      formerly " the secret KGB centre of the agency among believers ".
      According to the press, his name has also been associated with well-
      known scandalous financial frauds in the recent past.

      In George Edelstein's opinion the "deep infiltration by agencies of
      the special services in religious associations... represents a
      serious danger to society and the State... the president should be
      concerned about this".

      http://www.compromat.ru/main/rpc/mefodij.htm

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, larry most
      <larrymost2002@y...> wrote:
      > CHRIST IS RISEN - INDEED HE IS RISEN
      > Dear Vladimir Moss,
      > Your very low opinion of the MP is simply amazing. I have yet to
      figure out why you hate them so much and why you like to argue so
      much against them. I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the
      Moscow Patriarchate so I don't have any special interest with them. I
      feel bad that you would spend so much time bashing another Orthodox
      Jurisdiction.
      > Love in Christ,
      > Sub-deacon Lawrence
      >
      > VladMoss@a... wrote:
      vrevjrs@e...
      > writes:
      >

      > > When I was a student at Jordanville, I wrote an article
      > > in "Pravoslavnaya Rus" in which I attacked the present Patriarch,
      after
      > > I had met him (he was then Metropolitan of Talinn).
      > >
      > > None of us is infallible. There is no good in pretending we could
      never
      > > have been mistaken in the past.
      >

      > Well, it's nice to know that you know that you're not infallible.
      But what's
      > worrying is the fact that you are more fallible now than you were
      in the past,
      > that you were right in the past and are wrong now.
      >
      > There's a saying in the Bible about a leopard not being able to
      change its
      > spots. KGB agents such as Drozdov and Putin do not change their
      spots.

      > Vladimir Moss

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Service.

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • vkozyreff
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
        Dear Lawrence,

        The ROCOR has been watchful for eighty years, and we have become
        tired of defending the faith. That is the first reason for us to pray.

        « Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The
        spirit is willing, but the body is weak." Mark 14:37-39)

        You are perfectly right in saying that we should pray for the
        sinners.

        I think however you are mistaken when you say that we should pray
        *instead* of denouncing the sin. Denouncing the sin and praying for
        the sinner are both inseparable obligations for the Christian. The
        horror of their sin is the reason why we must pray for them and why
        we cannot endorse their sin by associating with them before they
        renounced it.

        « It is therefore unlawful, and a profanation, and an act the
        punishment of which is death, to love to associate with unholy
        heretics, and to unite yourself to their communion ». (St. Cyril of
        Alexandria).

        It is an error to believe that we should chose between faith and
        love. None can suffer from the other. Both are inseparable. This was
        discussed many times on this site.

        "Frequently, on this forum and in many other circumstances, the
        relationship of our Church with the heretical MP is presented in a
        wrong way, in my opinion. That is why many around us believe that we
        must soften somewhat the rigor of the dogma in order to accommodate
        the necessity to love the victims of heresy and apostasy". (message
        6598).

        Let us not overlook the danger of being seduced under the pretext of
        brotherly love.

        « Do not, even for the sake of defending the faith, converse with
        heretics, for fear less their words instill their venom into thy
        mind. If thou meet with a book said to be by one of the heretics,
        read it not, lest it fill thy heart with deadly poison; but so
        continue in that doctrine which thou hast learnt in holy church, as
        neither to add or to take from it. « Isaias, Abbot [4th Cent.]

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

      • VladMoss@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
          larrymost2002@... writes:

          > Rather than railing against the MP I would rather spend my time PRAYING for
          > the MP. I know that there are probably KGB agents etc. in the MP, but I
          > would rather have what we have today than what we had in the 60's 70's and 80's.
          > At least the Church has a chance to grow and eventually be pure. Besides, who
          > am I to make a harsh judgement on others. I'm sorry if I offended you
          > guys,but I would rather spend my time praying for the MP, not hating it.

          Pray for them by all means - and for the other Russian jurisdictions, such as
          Suzdal, ROCOR (V), the Seraphimo-Gennadiites, who are all more Orthodox than
          the MP.

          But don't think that you can remain truly Orthodox if you do not hate the
          enemies of Orthodoxy with the kind of "perfect hatred" that the Prophet David
          speaks about. In other words, a hatred that has no personal element in it, no
          fallen passion it it, but only unalloyed zeal for the truth.

          This is not an option, this is a duty. We are reminded of it every Sunday of
          Orthodoxy when, with a pure zeal for the truth, we anathematize all the
          enemies of Orthodoxy.

          Vladimir Moss

        • V. Boitchenko

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 3, 2003
              I also think it is time to abolish the EP in Istanbul and promote the
              MP to 'First among Equals'.

              > Alban

              Of course, even if the EP were to fall away from the Church, as Rome
              did a millenium ago, the highest ranking patriarchate would then be
              Alexandria.

              Priest Peter Jackson
            • sergerust2002
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 4, 2003
                Mr Kozyreff wrote:
                > The ROCOR has been watchful for eighty years,
                > and we have become tired of defending the faith.

                Mr Boytchenko answered:
                > May I ask if someone in the Synod gave you any authority to speak
                > in the name of the ROCOR? I am really confused.
                > Are you sure you are in the right church?

                Dear Mr Boytchenko,

                Do you mean that ROCOR *has not* been watchful for 80 years ?

                Where do you think Mr Kozyreff is at odds with ROCOR teaching ?

                Your rhetorical question "Are you sure you are in the right
                church ?" does not bring any evidence to the subject. It is simply an
                ad hominem consideration. The debated question is not whether Mr
                Kozyreff is sure or not sure of his opinions.

                The debated question is much more important. Its importance is
                recognized by the Sobor, since it is has appointed a Commission for
                the "Unity of the Russian Church" (while Metropolitan Vitaly
                claims that such commission has no object).

                Maybe it would be more clear to put it this way : How come you do not
                ask to Fr John Show "Are you sure you are in the right church ?",
                when he claims that the anathema against ecumenism was "a damage" ?

                In Christ,

                Serge Rust
              • vkozyreff
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 4, 2003
                  Dear Mr Boitchenko,

                  Thank you for your message.

                  Your question: May I ask if someone in the Synod gave you any
                  authority to speak in the name of the ROCOR? I am really confused.

                  I do not speak in the name of ROCOR, I just express what she has
                  always taught me (and you, if you are orthodox). If I say "the ROCOR
                  has been faithful for eighty years", I make a statement, which I
                  claim to be correct, and which, I claim, will be supported by most
                  believers.

                  Your question: Are you sure you are in the right church?

                  Yes, I am in the orthodox Church.

                  Your question: Do you have any authority to accuse anyone of heresy
                  or should it be the Council to have such authority?

                  Stating that the MP is heretical is not exerting any authority or
                  accusing it any longer in our days. It is just mentioning a well know
                  established fact. Since ecumenism and sergianism are heresies, and
                  have been anathematised, professing them is being heretical. In the
                  same way, calling the Latino-catholic heretical is not accusing them
                  any more. It is mentioning an established fact.

                  Your question: I also wonder if you (or anyone else) individually
                  have any authority to apply anathemas as they feel fit in order to
                  suit their political convictions.

                  I did not apply any anathema. An anathema is not "applied". An
                  anathema has been proclaimed or has not. It is as simple as that. If
                  you knowingly profess an opinion that has been anathematised, you are
                  anathema without any further administrative measure.

                  Since sergianism and ecumenism were anathematised, those who profess
                  them are anathema. "Ya zdyes ni pri chom". To hate sergianism and
                  ecumenism is not political, it is being faithful to orthodoxy.

                  Your question: I do not know that the Synod has ever stated
                  officially that all the anathemas against ecumenism or any other
                  false doctrine specifically apply to the Moscow Patriarchate, and
                  therefore MP is "heretical." If it is only your personal opinion
                  please say so.

                  God does not know "official statements" and does not need them. An
                  anathema applies to all those who profess the positions that have
                  been anathematised, whether officially confirmed or not. The anathema
                  is God's judgement and the Church only explicitly expresses it. As
                  explained by Vladimir Moss, (Message 8513), all heresies and heretics
                  are anathematised 'from all eternity' by the eternal Lord, for just
                  as every truth is approved by the Truth Himself from all eternity, so
                  is every lie and condemned by Him from all eternity, being condemned
                  with 'the father of lies' to the gehenna of fire (Revelation 22.15).

                  In God,

                  Vladimir Kozyrrev

                  --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "V. Boitchenko"

                • V. Boitchenko
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 4, 2003
                    Dear Mr. Rust,

                    >>Do you mean that ROCOR *has not* been watchful for 80 years ?

                    No, I did not mean that. However, can you tell me what is meant by that statement exactly? As Orthodox, I believe that my Church has been watchful for 2000 years and not some 80.

                    >>Where do you think Mr. Kozyreff is at odds with ROCOR teaching ?

                    In my opinion Mr. Kozyreff made statements that go beyond what the Church Abroad has taught. Here are some examples:

                    >>VK:...the relationship of our Church with the heretical MP...

                    Our Church has never taught or proclaimed MP to be "heretical." Mr. Kozyreff took the liberty to speak on behalf of the Church and make such claim.

                    >>VK:...Let us not overlook the danger of being seduced under the pretext of brotherly love...

                    I agree. Let us not. Who is the seducer?

                    >>VK:...and we have become tired of defending the faith...

                    Who is we? Did the Church Abroad or any of its officials ever declare that "they are tired of defending the faith?" Do you believe that is what we teach? If Mr. Kozyreff is "tired after defending the faith for 80 years", my question is not as rhetorical as it seems to you. Anyone who is tired of defending the faith must be in the wrong church.

                    >Your rhetorical question "Are you sure you are in the right
                    >church ?" does not bring any evidence to the subject. It is simply an
                    >ad hominem consideration. The debated question is not whether Mr
                    >Kozyreff is sure or not sure of his opinions.

                    I hope this clarifies what I meant and answers your questions.

                    In XC,