Pushkin's Birthday Celebration

  • Theodora
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      The Congress of Russian Americans and Rova Farms commemorate the
      Birthday of Alexander Pushkin

      (Traditionally celebrated by Russians abroad as the Day of Russian
      Culture)

      June 8, 2003
      Rova Farm Center in Jackson, New Jersey
      Gathering at 12noon in Rova main hall.
      Ceremony begins at 1pm at the Pushkin Monument

      Afternoon luncheon in main hall
      Performing:
      Russian Children's Ensemble
      From the Russian Embassy School, Washington, DC

      An informal tour of the nearby group of Russian historical monuments,
      representing perhaps the greatest such ensemble on the East Coast,
      will be available after lunch. St. Vladimir Cemetery—the largest
      Russian American cemetery—is the final resting place of General Anton
      Denikin, as well as Serge Jaroff, leader of the Don Cossack Chorus.
      (St. Vladimir's respectfully requests appropriate attire of those
      wishing to go inside the church; long pants for men, dresses for
      women)

      Directions:
      Exit 7A, New Jersey Turnpike, 195 East (Shore Points & Six Flags)
      about 12 miles to exit 16B (one just after Six Flags Great
      Adventure). Three lights (about 1 mile) on 537 East (to Freehold),
      then right onto Route 571 South (also identified as West Commodore
      Blvd. and Trenton-Lakewood Road). Proceed about three miles, past
      the Russian cemetery and church, until the Pushkin monument, larger
      Russian church (St. Vladimir's) and parking lot are on your right.
      Park in lot around main building.

      For more information call:
      Rova Farm at (732) 928-0928 or:
      Congress of Russian Americans Washington Office at (202) 393-1332
    • maureengirard
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
        Dear Theodora,
        I have been at that cemetary many times but I never saw the General's
        grave. How did he come to be buried at that cemetary?
        Maureen

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Theodora" <theopetr@y...>
        wrote:
        > The Congress of Russian Americans and Rova Farms commemorate the
        > Birthday of Alexander Pushkin
        >
        > (Traditionally celebrated by Russians abroad as the Day of Russian
        > Culture)
        >

        > June 8, 2003
        > Rova Farm Center in Jackson, New Jersey
        > Gathering at 12noon in Rova main hall.
        > Ceremony begins at 1pm at the Pushkin Monument
        >
        > Afternoon luncheon in main hall
        > Performing:
        > Russian Children's Ensemble
        > From the Russian Embassy School, Washington, DC
        >

        > An informal tour of the nearby group of Russian historical
        monuments,
        > representing perhaps the greatest such ensemble on the East Coast,
        > will be available after lunch. St. Vladimir Cemetery—the largest
        > Russian American cemetery—is the final resting place of General
        Anton
        > Denikin, as well as Serge Jaroff, leader of the Don Cossack Chorus.
        > (St. Vladimir's respectfully requests appropriate attire of those
        > wishing to go inside the church; long pants for men, dresses for
        > women)
        >

        > Directions:
        > Exit 7A, New Jersey Turnpike, 195 East (Shore Points & Six Flags)
        > about 12 miles to exit 16B (one just after Six Flags Great
        > Adventure). Three lights (about 1 mile) on 537 East (to Freehold),
        > then right onto Route 571 South (also identified as West Commodore
        > Blvd. and Trenton-Lakewood Road). Proceed about three miles, past
        > the Russian cemetery and church, until the Pushkin monument, larger
        > Russian church (St. Vladimir's) and parking lot are on your right.
        > Park in lot around main building.
        >

        > For more information call:
        > Rova Farm at (732) 928-0928 or:
        > Congress of Russian Americans Washington Office at (202) 393-1332
      • iris cherry
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
          Dear Maureen,

          I hear you are a wife to a priest in Florida? This makes you a russian in
          old greek church? Is your husband Greek? I am confused by the many True
          and Genuwine churches in Greek. Please tell us how yours is, and what
          makes it okay to some of our bishops, but others like Fili more. And your
          metropolitan is from Jordanville? I am so glad to see us close to other
          old calendar traditionals, but we are not as close as possible. What can
          we do to be official together? ROCA and Greek OC are both Orthodox, but MP
          and ROCA are only both Russian. I want union of True Church of all
          countrys, not union of countrymen not all of True Church. Can you help us
          understand why we are not closer together.

          Iris Cherry