Senior Serb Bishop Prays With Pope

  • Michael Nikitin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2003
      How can we pray with Latins?

      This is why many left and are leaving ROCOR.

      Michael N.

      SENIOR SERB BISHOP PRAYS WITH POPE AND DENOUNCES USA

      VATICAN CITY, February 6, 2003 (Zenit) -- A representative of the Serbian
      Orthodox Patriarchate told John Paul II that a war against Iraq would be a
      "disgrace for humanity."

      The representative, Metropolitan Amfilohije of Montenegro, is heading a
      delegation in Rome this week, to promote ecumenical rapprochement with the
      Catholic Church.

      After the Orthodox metropolitan greeted and prayed with the Holy Father
      today, he took advantage of the occasion to make an appeal for peace in
      Iraq.

      "In the 20th century alone, our Church and our people were subjected to
      seven wars, and still today they suffer from profound wounds, especially in
      Kosovo," Metropolitan Amfilohije said.

      This is why the Serbian Orthodox Church, "together with His Holiness,
      requests the powerful of the earth, especially the United States and its
      allies, not to get involved in a new war, on this occasion
      against Iraq," he added.

      "This new war would be a new defeat for all of us and a new disgrace for the
      whole of humanity, and not just a humiliation and destruction of the honest
      Iraqi people," he stressed.

      The Serbian Orthodox Church has 9 million faithful spread over 32 dioceses
      worldwide, including four in North America, two in Western Europe, and two
      in Australia and New Zealand.

    • hoodpeters
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2003
        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Nikitin"
        <mikeniki@h...> wrote:
        > How can we pray with Latins?

        Check your sources.
        "Zenit" is a Vatican media outlet.
        Why you would use such a source to discredit the SOC and the ROCOR
        makes one wonder as to your "good intentions".
        In Christ,
        Dcn. John