[orthodox-synod] Keryx: facing the "Apostacy by Mumbling"

  • markishm@simplexnet.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 1999
      A senior clergyman of our Church in a recent article in the _Russkij
      Pastyr_ magazine referred to the threat of the "Apostasy by Mumbling":
      inarticulate, unclear, listless reading of the Church services;
      resulting in people's inability to grasp their meaning, not to mention
      their beauty and depth, and eventual perversion of the liturgical life
      of the Church. This danger, although ever present in the Church, has
      become pressing in our time, when traditional way of life has been
      disrupted by historical circumstances, and multitudes of people are
      returning to the Church, or entering her for the first time, in
      desperate search for truth, -- at times only to find senseless mumbling.

      Prominent Russian Orthodox authors of the recent past (e.g. St.
      Theophanes the Recluse, metr. Anthony Khrapovicsky) repeatedly warned
      about that danger; Modernists in Russia are using it as a weapon in
      their attack on the Church-Slavonic language. Archbishop Spiridon of
      the Greek American Archdiocese, before his untimely departure,
      mentioned the same threat to his Greek flock.

      As an effort in combating this disease, a software system called
      _Keryx_ has been developed. In its Rev. 1.03 it is available for
      download as a demonstration package. As you will see, it can have a
      variety of other applications, besides liturgical: further development
      efforts will depend on your response.

      Please see http://members.tripod.com/alphaom/keryx/ for the description
      and download instructions.

      Faithfully, -- M.Markish