Re: St Georges Church Feast Day Celebration!!

  • klandsberg
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1 9:31 AM
      Peter,
      Voistinu Voskrese! Thank you for posting the news about the services
      to take place at St. George's. For those who have not been there, it
      is a beautiful small church and pictures of it can be seen in _Howell
      and Farmingdale: A Social and Cultural History_, part of the "Images
      of America" series. Even though it is not technically old enough to
      be a historical landmark, it is considered by town historians to be
      significant, as the Cossack and Russian settlement in Howell are
      considered an important part of local history. The Cossack Museum is
      also definitely worth seeing.

      Kirill, Peter has posted this message to a ROCOR list, and so I don't
      think there is anything in his invitation that suggests clergy of
      other jurisdictions will be there. It is common practice in central
      New Jersey for clergy to serve at one another's churches on the
      churches' feast days, especially when they are celebrated on
      weekdays. There are a number of ROCOR churches within one hour's
      driving distance from this one, and there is another Cossack church
      in southern NJ whose clergy might be interested in coming. Therefore,
      I hope this dispels and suspicions you may have about the event.

      Thanks again to Peter for his announcement.
      Katya

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Kiril Bart <kirbart@y...>
      wrote:
      > To what local clergy you are extending your hand? From your wording
      it is not so obvious. Would RC, OCA, MP etc. be included?Curious
      subdeacon Kirill

      > Peter Okopny <peter.okopny@w...> wrote:Hristos Voskrese!!!
      >
      > I would like to wish everyone a wonderful Happy Easter!
      >

      > Secondly, with his blessing Protopresbyter Valery Lukianov, I would
      like to invite everyone to a great holiday of celebrating Saint
      George's Day at St Georges Russian Orthodox Church located in
      Freewood Acres, north of St Alexander Nevsky's Church on Route 9
      Lakewood, NJ. This celebration will start at 9:30am on Tuesday May
      6th with Liturgy, following afterwards a procession around the church
      and a lunch located in the Kuban Cossack Museum. This service will be
      the first in 2 years since Very Memorable Fr Stefan Trubiloff has
      passed away. There is much work going on to restore the church at
      least inside before the holiday, so please support us by honoring us
      with your presence. I know that it is a working day but at least if
      some of you know of people living close by can tell them about this
      great holiday then they can come and put your name in to be
      remembered during the service. Also since this is a great Cossack
      holiday the museum located adjacent to the church will be opened for
      all to view the incredible collection of Cossack history starting
      form the Tsars to the White Army.

      > Furthermore, I extend my hand further to all local clergy to come
      and serve. One can find a detailed map under Freewood Acres, NJ on
      MapQuest. The church is on 3rd & Frederick Street (near exit 29B on
      195 & Rt 9).

      > Hope to see you all there, and if possible a small donation will be
      greatly appreciated to help restore the church (info on donations
      will be provided later).

      > Any questions please don't hesitate to email me.
      >

      > Faithful unto Christ,
      >
      > Peter Okopny (Kuban Cossack)

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.

    • klandsberg
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1 2:33 PM
        In case anyone is interested, just for fun, I have posted two
        pictures of St. George's church in the "Photos" area of the list's
        web interface. You can see these pictures by going to
        http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox-
        synod/lst?.dir=/St.+George%
        27s+Church&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

        or just click Photos on the left side of the screen if you use the
        web interface.

        (I don't know if the link I have pasted here is going to work,
        because it is very long.)

        Here is the source of the pictures:
        Navarra, Tova. Images of America: Howell and Farmingdale: A Social
        and Cultural History. Arcadia Publishing; Dover, 1996.

        NB: The book also contains photos of other Cossack buildings and
        events, as well as photos of St. Alexander Nevksy Church (old and
        new), which is also in Howell, and Rodina, another Russian
        organization whose facility is located near that church.

        Hope you enjoy these pictures.
        Katya
      • Peter Okopny
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1 4:15 PM
          Kirill,

          The church is a ROCOR church so only ROCOR clergy is able to participate at the service but any clergy from outside ROCOR affiliation can only attend the service. Since this is a house of God all people are welcome. I have written down phone numbers of local ROCOR priests and I am inviting them personally (the ones that I can get a hold of). I will try to submit to the SYNOD website a small article with photos about the event so that everyone can enjoy.

          PS by you noting RC I am assuming Roman Catholic, if so, why would they be at an orthodox ROCOR service? If I misunderstood your abbreviation please educate me then.

          Faithful unto Christ

          Peter Okopny (Kuban Cossack)

          Message 4 of 11 , May 1 5:47 PM
            I just wanted to clarify that when I wrote "It is common practice in
            central New Jersey for clergy to serve at one another's churches on
            the churches' feast days, especially when they are celebrated on
            weekdays," that I meant to write that it is common practice for
            _ROCOR_ clergy to serve at one another's churches on the churches'
            feast days. My main point was that I am sure Kirill is not familiar
            with the geography of New Jersey and the ROCOR churches' proximity to
            one another and that, if he were, he would not have been confused by
            Peter's invitation.

            Anyway, I don't mean to belabor this point unnecessarily, so I
            apologize. I just reread my message and thought I should clarify.

            With love in Christ,
            Katya B.

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "klandsberg" <klandsberg@y...>

          • Kiril Bart

                Message 7 of 11 , May 2 1:45 PM
                  Dear Valya,

                  I am sorry that you had trouble viewing the pictures.
                  Try the following:

                  - If you are not a Yahoo! member, you will have to create an account
                  and choose a name and password. If you are a Yahoo! member,
                  click "Sign in" and then enter your log-in name and password.

                  - The Home page for this list will come up. On the left-hand side of
                  the screen, you will see a box with links in it (i.e. Home | Messages
                  | Chat | etc.) Click "Photos". The third folder in the list of
                  Photos is "St. George's Church". Click on it, and you will see the
                  pictures. There are two of them.

                  If you still can't see them, let me know and I will just e-mail them
                  to you privately. Also, the book I mentioned has several pages about
                  the Cossacks in Howell, which I could scan and send you if you think
                  your father would like to see them. Unfortunately, there are no
                  pictures of the interior of the Cossack museum, but this museum has
                  many banners of Cossack regiments (not sure if this is the right
                  term) and the famous painting by Korolkoff of the Betrayal of the
                  Cossacks at Lienz, a picture of which can be seen here:
                  http://members.tripod.com/~shtyetz_john/lienz-cossacks.html

                  If anyone else wants to see the two pictures I have posted but can't
                  get to them using the above instructions, let me know and I will send
                  you those pictures privately.

                  Love,
                  Katya

                  -- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Wally Wally <couckla@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Christos Voskrece!Voistinu Voskrece! Dearest Katya, I' ve tried to
                  visit the site, unfortunately, very unsuccessfully, most
                  disappointed. I' m told it's the wrong site, a spelling error,
                  etc. ... . I hope it can be corrected. My father belong to the
                  cossacks, in Montreal, so I'm sure he's interested in viewing the
                  pictures that you have posted. Thanks! Valya

                  > In case anyone is interested, just for fun, I have posted two
                  > pictures of St. George's church in the "Photos" area of the list's
                  > web interface. You can see these pictures by going to
                  > http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodox-
                  > synod/lst?.dir=/St.+George%
                  > 27s+Church&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%
                  3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

                  > or just click Photos on the left side of the screen if you use the
                  > web interface.
                  >
                  > (I don't know if the link I have pasted here is going to work,
                  > because it is very long.)
                  >
                  > Here is the source of the pictures:
                  > Navarra, Tova. Images of America: Howell and Farmingdale: A Social
                  > and Cultural History. Arcadia Publishing; Dover, 1996.
                  >
                  > NB: The book also contains photos of other Cossack buildings and
                  > events, as well as photos of St. Alexander Nevksy Church (old and
                  > new), which is also in Howell, and Rodina, another Russian
                  > organization whose facility is located near that church.
                  >
                  > Hope you enjoy these pictures.
                  > Katya
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.

                • Kenneth Doll
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 6 6:52 AM
                    Christ is Risen!

                    I find it slightly amusing that at St. George's (at least according
                    to the photos) they practice a combination of Russian-Cossack and
                    Greek Orthodox religions! It must be one of the "very well informed
                    writers" who penned this one!

                    Congratulations on the feast!

                    In Christ,
                    Kenneth Doll

                    wrote:
                    > - The Home page for this list will come up. On the left-hand side
                    of
                    > the screen, you will see a box with links in it (i.e. Home |
                    Messages
                    > | Chat | etc.) Click "Photos". The third folder in the list of
                    > Photos is "St. George's Church". Click on it, and you will see the
                    > pictures. There are two of them.
                  • Theodora Wright
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6 12:55 PM
                      Test