Remember Lot's Wife

  • ourlittlecity@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25 4:09 AM
      I was startled when I heard:

      "Now is the hour, 'Flee!'
      Already others have fled ahead,
      Flee, before the path becomes cluttered with debris.
      Already the Evil One attempts to hide the Shepherds steps.
      Hasten thy flight, darkness quickly falls.
      Quickly now, hasten thy steps."

      I stirred myself and pondered what I should pack, but was startled when I
      heard:

      "No time to wait,
      No possessions take,
      No salutations or good-byes make,
      No thoughts about 'what' or 'if,' the hour is now, 'flee!'"

      I must wait for my wife, my son, my daughter and both my parents live near, I
      shall call them, but was startled when I heard:

      "If thy spouse hesitates,
           Be wise, the door shall quickly shut and the gate is narrow.
      If thy son or daughter resists,
          Be wise, the path is but momentarily lit, already your oil is being
      spent.
      If thy fathers eye seems old and thy mother's tears taste sweet,
          Be wise, the vine of entanglement quickly grows, 'Remember, Lot's wife!'"

      Which path shall I take, the pressing crowd gives me pause, but I was
      startled when I heard:

      "Awake, awake and rouse thyself, the hour is ready to depart.
      The light which blinds the pressing crowd, shall shroud thy own escape.
      Hesitate no more, already the moment flees.
      Swiftly, without thought or care, 'Lest Lot's wife keep thee here!'"

      Startled, I awoke from this dream and contemplated briefly, 'what does this
      mean?'
      Why should I run now, I see by the illumined dial that it is but 3 AM?

      Ahh!  It was only a dream.  I close my eyes again and smile wisely as the
      fading voices refrain, "Remember Lot's wife!"

      Asleep again, the haste is past.  I shall stir myself up later and dress, for
      now I need my rest.

      It will be a Good-Friday, if only I can get some sleep, before the Paschal f
      east.

      rdr. john