Re: Excerpt from Letter of St.Metr.Philaret to Archb.Anthony of Geneva

  • orthodoxchurch_sg
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2003
      Evlogite!
      It is now Good Friday morning in Singapore and I do not have time (or
      inclination, actually) to reply in details to the points various
      people raise. However, before I start the Royal Hours could I just
      say to the person who said I quoted Metropolitan Philaret, of blessed
      memory, and 'truncate' according to taste, that I have never quoted
      him on this list, or any other, though there are many who do. You are
      either, I hope, mistaking me for someone else, or being deliberately
      mischievous (which I hope not!)
      To the others, and especially Rdr Vladimir, may I apologise for not
      making myself clear. I meant that when personal opinion and official
      documents contradict, then we should always take the latter as
      authoritative. This has happened in the past (and will no doubt
      happen in the future) and Fr Alexander Lebedev, among others, has
      shewn this to be the case quite clearly on many occasions.
      I am surprised that contributors as erudite and well-read as have
      responded to my message, should retreat to the argument - Saints
      proclaim the teaching of the Church; Metropolitan Philaret, of
      blessed memory, is a Saint; therefore everything the Metropolitan
      wrote or said is the teaching of the Church. Surely we all learnt a
      long time ago that this sort of syllogism does not hold water.
      May God bless you all and keep you well / Fr Daniel
      May God bless you all and keep you well.