Appeal for Help

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2003
      March 17/4, 2003 Second Week of Great and Holy Lent
      http://www.brooklynchurch.org/ (In Russian & English)

      Dear in Christ Parishioners and Friends-Honorable Donors,
      May God Bless You!

      We congratulate you with the Great and Holy Fast √ the Spiritual
      Ambulatory, which heals all who let its graceful presence into the depths
      of their Souls┘..May this Holy Fast be replete with spiritual fruit and
      allow us to greet the Queen of Days, Holy PASCHA √ in deep Spiritual Joy
      and in the Health of Soul and Body!

      We have existed, Glory be to God, for three years now, growing and
      flowering, thanks to your holy prayers and kind support. As we had shared
      with you recently, on January 1, 2003, we received, by the prayers of the
      Newmartyrs, a temporary place to pray √ a downstairs chapel of a large
      Catholic Church, where we continue to pray to this day. This Gift from
      Heaven has opened to us a direct path to touching the hearts of many
      Russian Orthodox people by means of regular Divine Services, Sacraments
      (especially Baptisms) as well as molebens and panihidas in a real CHURCH,
      which has put on a true Orthodox visage, by means of √ a new iconostas,
      many old and new Icons, new candle stands from Russia and vestments, sewn
      by our talented and loving new Sisterhood┘..The Nativity of Christ and our
      Church Holiday of the NewMartyrs and Confessors of Russia brought in
      approximately 600 Believers to the services, and Theophany allowed us to
      see over 2000 Believers in the confines of our large and spiritually cozy
      Church┘..Our Choir sounds wonderful. A typical Sunday brings in up to 250
      people √ with about 100 repentants and communicants, many of whom are
      children and young adults. Three weeks ago, we opened a Parish School,
      which already boasts 25 children of various ages. We have our own
      contingent of the ill, the elderly and feeble and even the reposed┘..and
      this is all where ⌠yesterday■, there was a desert, a vacuum, nothing┘.and
      now a large, thriving and quickly growing parish takes its place, by the
      Almighty Grace of God┘..

      To our shock and dismay, we received, just a few days ago, the sad news
      that our Catholic landlords wish us to vacate our temporary Church by the
      middle of May, in other words, in two (2) months √ remaining without a roof
      over our heads in order to continue our Holy and Godpleasing activity. At
      the same time, we received news (we believe, by the prayers of the
      Newmartyrs) of a church building and hall for sale, which is in excellent
      condition, as well as fitting all of our needs, just 2 blocks from where we
      are currently worshipping, for a price of 1 million dollars, which is
      considered to be a very fair price for a building of like quality and type,
      in South Brooklyn.

      We turn to you, our dear Parishioners and Non-Parishioners √ our Dear
      Friends and Benefactors √ HELP us to not end up ⌠on the street■, thus,
      halting our very existence! How many souls now receive nourishment from
      our parish!┘..We fervently ask you √ help us to acquire a CHURCH √ our OWN
      Church!┘..We ask you not to turn us away and help us in the acquisition of
      a CHURCH, according to the following proposed plan:

      For a Donation in the sum of $1,000 √ Eternal Commemoration
      (Send your Living and Reposed Commemoration Lists)
      For a Donation in the sum of $ 500 √ One Year Commemoration (Send your
      Living and Reposed Commemoration Lists)
      For a Donation in the sum of $ 250 √ Forty Day Commemoration (Send your
      Living and Reposed Commemoration Lists)

      We ask you not to forget us in our EXTREME NEED and time of CRISIS! If you
      can interest your relatives, friends and close ones in also helping us, we
      would be much obliged! You may send your commemorations and kind donations
      to the following address:

      Holy Newmartyrs and Confessors Russian Orthodox Church
      Attn: Mrs. Svetlana Goldin, Treasurer
      20 Ocean Court, Apt 6J
      Brooklyn, New York 11223

      May God Grant you Salvation, Health and great Fruit from your Lenten
      struggles √ by the prayers of the NewMartyrs and Confessors of Russia!
      Many Years to you and your close ones! We thank you in advance, for your
      speedy answer to our extreme situation!

      With Love in Christ,
      Archpriest George Kallaur, Rector, Deacon Vadim Arefiev,
      the Parish Council, Sisterhood and God-Protected Parishioners