[orthodox-synod] Re: O.C.A.

  • Robert Miller
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 18, 1999
      Is this keynote address available on line, or by mail,
      or any way at all?

      Joseph Miller

      ----------
      > From: David James <dmjames@...>
      > To: 'orthodox-synod@egroups.com'
      > Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: O.C.A.
      > Date: Monday, October 18, 1999 12:22 PM
      >
      > However, as the Orthodox Christian Laity's recent newsletter pointed out,
      > Metropolitan Theodosius,
    • David James
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 1999
        I would think so. Try http://www.oca.org/ <http://www.oca.org/> for
        starters.

        Deacon David

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod
      • LJames6034@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 18, 1999
          Father Anthony,

          Well, yes.

          I wish I could remember the quote from the OCA bishops' #1 decision, but, it
          effectively establishes their intention to take in everyone else. Iakovos,
          without reference to that decision, perceived it.

          Father Deacon David James is correct, of course, that they now say this is
          NOT their prime directive.

          Though circumstances alter cases, which of their two very different
          positions is true?

          Father Andrew
        • Robert Miller
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 18, 1999
            Thank you Fr Dcn David James, I did just that, and I just
            now did it. It does make very interesting reading,
            especially if read with good will but critically, being
            careful for what it really does and does not say. What is
            somewhat astonishing for its candor is the report on the
            OCA homepage about the perceived great decline in active membership, and
            their official response to it. Careful
            reading also gives a clear impression of their attitude
            toward the Ecumenical Movement, and the traditional
            Patriarchates. I'm glad I read it.

            Joseph M

            ----------
            > From: David James <dmjames@...>
            > To: 'orthodox-synod@egroups.com'
            > Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: O.C.A.
            > Date: Monday, October 18, 1999 6:29 PM
            >
            > I would think so. Try http://www.oca.org/ <http://www.oca.org/> for
            > starters.
            >
            > Deacon David

          • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 19, 1999
              Dear Fr. Andrew,

              Have you considered posting this article on the internet on a website?

              I'll be glad to format it and upload to one of the more tolerable free
              internet hosts, if you like. Something like this should be available more
              easily for all to read.

              Yours in Christ,
              Elizabeth, a sinner
              and Perennial Student

              1999 Southern Orthodox Missions Conference
              *Establishing Community Roots Through Personal Spiritual Growth*
              Cumming, GA (Atlanta, GA area)
              November 12th -14th.

              Registration deadline: October 1st but registrations will continue to be
              accepted!

              For more information about the conference, please see our website at
              http://www.monastery.org/conference .
              Personal WEB-page:
              http://www.mindspring.com/~ewriggs/church.htm
              JOY OF ALL WHO SORROW CHURCH
              Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
              6728 Campground Road
              Cumming, GA 30130
              http://www.avana.net/~fralexis
              Save, O Lord, Thy people, and bless Thine
              inheritance; grant Thou unto Orthodox
              Christians victory over enemies; and by
              the power of Thy Cross do Thou preserve
              Thy commonwealth.

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19, 1999
                Dear Elizabeth,

                Thank you. I had not thought about that. I would have to find my own copy,
                which, given my penchant for "a place for everything, and everything every
                place," I cannot lay my hand upon it, just now. I was quoting it, off the
                top of my head.

                It's here. I'll get back to you.

                ALJJ+