Re: collaborators and assistants to Metropolitan Anthony

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 8 3:48 AM
      Dear Father Daniel, bless.

      I thank you for your good words.

      You write: "Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful?
      discerning? that he does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured
      out upon him at his consecration?

      1. Vl Mark was once disciplined for not being careful vis-à-vis the
      MP. I cannot understand why, having been a NTS activist, he applied
      to study in the Trinity St Sergius Lavra when it was the centre of
      KGB anti God activity.

      2. The number of bishops who, in the past, have erred and fallen into
      schism, apostasy or heresy is considerable. Did they carry the grace
      of the Apostles poured out upon him at his consecration?

      3. We are not choosing between my opinion and that of a bishop. We
      have to choose between the opinion of bishops and sizeable parts of
      the Church that disagree with one another.

      4. We are not accusing or condemning the captains of the ships. We
      have only to choose which ship to board. We know that some maps that
      were obviously wrong have not been corrected and are still in use. We
      know also that some captains say now that it does not matter any
      longer what maps will be used. They say that the most important thing
      is to be all on the same ship.

      5. You write: "There is nothing in the official documents of ROCOR,
      that I have been shown or have read, which indicates that it is not
      possible to discuss possible ways forward following the fall of
      communism in Russia". Speaking about official documents, there is
      none that show any will on the part of the MP to quit sergianism and
      ecumenism, and yet, we are invited to unite. Vl Amvrosii allows his
      flock to commune with the MP.

      6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
      question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
      ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
      concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
      sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

      In God and asking your prayers,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "orthodoxchurch_sg"
      <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:
      > Dear in Christ Vladimir ~
      > You believe this, you assume that, you suspect the other. What are
      > you actually saying, based on evidence, teaching, official
      statements?
      > You are quite right - we are Orthodox or not. And our Orthodoxy
      does
      > not depend upon individual opinion, suspicion, assumption, however
      > respected or revered the opinion giver may be. There is nothing in
      > the official documents of ROCOR, that I have been shown or have
      read,
      > which indicates that it is not possible to discuss possible ways
      > forward following the fall of communism in Russia. Indeed, if we
      were
      > not to consider it a possibilty we would be restricting the wisdom
      > and the power and the glory of God. We must be careful, of course.
      > Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful? discerning? that he
      > does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured out upon him at his
      > consecration? Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not
      unthinking
      > automotons. Yet, surely, as I was taight and brought up in
      Orthodoxy
      > among the clergy and laity of ROCOR (I am now a priest in EP)
      > including Metropolitan Philaret, Bishops Gregory and Constantine
      and
      > Mark, - humility and patience and obedience count for a great deal.
      > Where are they when it comes to splashing documents you dont like
      on
      > the InterNet?
      > God bless you and keep you well / Fr Daniel
    • Victor Artzimovitch
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8 10:17 AM
        You write: "Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful?
        discerning? that he does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured
        out upon him at his consecration?

        1. Vl Mark was once disciplined for not being careful vis-à-vis the
        MP. I cannot understand why, having been a NTS activist, he applied
        to study in the Trinity St Sergius Lavra when it was the centre of
        KGB anti God activity.

        Vl.Mark studied (as far as I know) in the Belgrade academy.
        Vl.Mark was disciplined as was ex-Vl. Varnava, but for very different
        reasons.

        2. The number of bishops who, in the past, have erred and fallen into
        schism, apostasy or heresy is considerable. Did they carry the grace
        of the Apostles poured out upon him at his consecration?

        ...so is the case of ex-Vl. Varnava....

        3. We are not choosing between my opinion and that of a bishop. We
        have to choose between the opinion of bishops and sizeable parts of
        the Church that disagree with one another.

        ... what is a "sizeable part of the Church" ? One ex-bishop and some
        preasts...?

        4. We are not accusing or condemning the captains of the ships. We
        have only to choose which ship to board. We know that some maps that
        were obviously wrong have not been corrected and are still in use. We
        know also that some captains say now that it does not matter any
        longer what maps will be used. They say that the most important thing
        is to be all on the same ship.

        ...it's like flying a Boeing 747 with maps dated back to ancient Rome!!!!
        Times have changed, Russia is in a very difficult process of reforms. So is
        probably MP.
        Yes, the most important thing is to be on the same ship in order to help the
        captains to find back the right track...
        Just pointing that the map is wrong is not enough....

        5. You write: "There is nothing in the official documents of ROCOR,
        that I have been shown or have read, which indicates that it is not
        possible to discuss possible ways forward following the fall of
        communism in Russia". Speaking about official documents, there is
        none that show any will on the part of the MP to quit sergianism and
        ecumenism, and yet, we are invited to unite. Vl Amvrosii allows his
        flock to commune with the MP.

        Our Lord has not refused Judas of being part in the Last Supper...
        How can we not accept "just" a discussion?

        6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
        question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
        ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
        concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
        sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

        Should this question not be part of our discussions? ...and not a statement?

        V.Artzimovitch

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8 12:26 PM
          Dear V,

          Regarding the possibility of ROCOR to make the MP change course
          after the reunion, even Father Alexander Lebedeff does not believe in
          it.

          We all know where Vl Mark did study, but we also know that his
          application to the Trinity St Sergius Lavra was turned down.

          You write: "How can we not accept "just" a discussion (with the MP)?
          There are many recommendations to the contrary in the Holy Fathers.

          This letter is probably a hoax, but it has been an interesting
          opportunity to exchange ideas.

          The good thing is that this time we did not fight. Glory to God.

          PS I have a special friendship to your family (your father and your
          sister), with regards to the marvellous memories that my children
          have kept of their Vitiazi years. This friendship automatically
          spills over to you.

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Artzimovitch"
          <vartzimovitch@v...> wrote:

> [...]
          Metropolitan

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • byakimov@csc.com.au
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8 3:31 PM
            Dear Victor

            Our friend Vladimir meant that our current ROCA Bishops & priests who
            perefer
            any dialogue with the MP be undertaken when the "... MP has renounced
            sergianism and
            ecumenism...." etc. Indeed & I am glad that it is very sizeable!

            protodeacon Basil from Canberra

            "Victor Artzimovitch" <vartzimovitch@...> on 09/04/2003 03:17:03 AM

            To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
            cc:
            Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: collaborators and assistants to
            Metropolitan Anthony

            <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:
            > Dear in Christ Vladimir ~
            > You believe this, you assume that, you suspect the other. What are
            > you actually saying, based on evidence, teaching, official
            statements?
            > You are quite right - we are Orthodox or not. And our Orthodoxy
            does
            > not depend upon individual opinion, suspicion, assumption, however
            > respected or revered the opinion giver may be. There is nothing in
            > the official documents of ROCOR, that I have been shown or have
            read,
            > which indicates that it is not possible to discuss possible ways
            > forward following the fall of communism in Russia. Indeed, if we
            were
            > not to consider it a possibilty we would be restricting the wisdom
            > and the power and the glory of God. We must be careful, of course.
            > Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful? discerning? that he
            > does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured out upon him at his
            > consecration? Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not
            unthinking
            > automotons. Yet, surely, as I was taight and brought up in
            Orthodoxy
            > among the clergy and laity of ROCOR (I am now a priest in EP)
            > including Metropolitan Philaret, Bishops Gregory and Constantine
            and
            > Mark, - humility and patience and obedience count for a great deal.
            > Where are they when it comes to splashing documents you dont like
            on
            > the InterNet?
            > God bless you and keep you well / Fr Daniel

          • cantor71
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 9 7:31 AM
              <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

              > This letter is probably a hoax, but it has been an interesting
              > opportunity to exchange ideas.

              Well, it is clearly not a hoax, as it has just been posted on the MP
              website (so far in Russian only).

              George

              http://www.russian-orthodox-church.org.ru/nr304091.htm
            • Michael Nikitin
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 9 9:51 AM
                From: "Victor Artzimovitch" <vartzimovitch@...>
                To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
                Metropolitan Anthony
                Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:17:03 +0200

                ...it's like flying a Boeing 747 with maps dated back to ancient Rome!!!!
                Times have changed, Russia is in a very difficult process of reforms. So is
                probably MP.
                Yes, the most important thing is to be on the same ship in order to help the
                captains to find back the right track...
                Just pointing that the map is wrong is not enough....

                We should change the Church to the times?

                The French did want to stay on course , but the Captains took the new
                course . They are flying the ship and didn't want anyone interfering. I find
                it is hard to help the Captains find back the right track. They won't
                listen. That's why so many left and are leaving.
                Why crash with them when one can take another ship and fly the same safe
                route as our Holy Fathers? Knowing at least that we are following
                the course the Captains took that never crashed.

                6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
                question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
                ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
                concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
                sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

                Should this question not be part of our discussions? ...and not a statement?

                V.Artzimovitch

                ROCOR in it's letter to Patriarch Pavel begged him to pave the way for
                dialogue and eventual union with MP. The MP wrote that ROCOR was in schism
                from the Russian Church. Who's uniting to whom? How will ROCOR be united
                with MP since they are in schism?

                If we are not to waite for MP to show their good will to the faith and
                renounce ecumenism that we Anathemetized, what should we expect from her?
                Some concessions here and there and say they repented?
                The MP have to show a desire to renounce these heresies, otherwise what's
                stopping us from having dialogue with the Muslims, Jews, Latins,
                Protestants, etc....Not a good idea.

                Michael N.

              • frpeterjackson
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 14 6:52 AM
                  Just an aside: It was said:

                  >Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not unthinking
                  > automotons.

                  The phrase "rational sheep" is often misunderstood, mainly because of
                  the clumsy tranlation. "Rational" as used here is an overly-literal
                  rendering of the Greek "logikos", which did not mean "logical" at the
                  time. (I don't think it took on this sense till the Middle Ages.) It
                  come from "logos", meaning the inner, non-literal sense of something,
                  rather the the superficial meaning. IOW, "logikos/rational" refers to
                  what we what call the metaphorical sense. "Metaphorical", then, is
                  the best way to render this (though I doubt anyone will ever bother
                  to do so). As Christ's sheep, we are to be reasonable, certainly, but
                  the phrase in question has nothing to do w/this. Rather, it simply
                  means that we are His "metaphorical sheep", rather than literal cud-
                  chewing, bleating creatures.

                  Another case which comes to mind is Romans 12:1, which speaks of us
                  offering ourselves as living sacrifices because this is
                  our "reasonable service". Again, the word "reasonable" is "logikos"
                  and should be translated as "metaphorical". More than once I have
                  heard (or read) people respond to this passage saying, "Yes, offering
                  our bodies as living sacrifices is only reasonable, after all."
                  Actually, it's not very reasonable, and if anyone tried to crawl up
                  onto the altar table, it would be a problem. "Reasonable" has nothing
                  to do with what St. Paul is saying. "Service" here means liturgical
                  worship, in the sense of the OT priests sacrificing animals in the
                  Temple. St. Paul is merely saying that instead of sacrificing
                  animals, we Christians are to offer ourselves; this is how we
                  metaphorically serve God around a metaphorical altar. It is true
                  service, to be sure, but not in the literal sense of a blood
                  sacrifice.

                  Fr. Peter Jackson