XPAMb BOCKPECEHIYA XPICTOBA

  • Reader John
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2003
      Church of the Savior of the Blood

      I was in a doctor's office today and picked up a travel magazine
      while waiting for my son to finish. The magazine had photographs of
      the above church in St. Petersburg. The church is built on the site
      where Tsar Alexander II was murdered.

      The architecture of this church is breathtakingly beautiful. It is
      classical Russian. I was so impressed that I upon my return home I
      looked it up in Protodeacon Nikita's 1970's vintage book on Russian
      Architecture.

      Does anyone know if this church has been restored? Is it an active
      church? Any websites that show recent photographs? Does anyone have
      any photographs they could email me?

      A joyous feast of the Annunciation to all.

      In Christ,
      Rdr John
    • Kiril Bart
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2003
        Yes, this Church has been restored. Although it still be shared with city museum, so they don't have everyday services. This Church has being a main Church of St. Martyr Metr. Iosiph of Petrograd and has been main church for "Josephyns" long after his Holy death.
        Subdeacon Kirill
        Most of the painting was done by Vasnetsov, a prominent artist of the end of 19th Century.
        Reader John <rdrjohn2000@...> wrote:Church of the Savior of the Blood

        I was in a doctor's office today and picked up a travel magazine
        while waiting for my son to finish. The magazine had photographs of
        the above church in St. Petersburg. The church is built on the site
        where Tsar Alexander II was murdered.

        The architecture of this church is breathtakingly beautiful. It is
        classical Russian. I was so impressed that I upon my return home I
        looked it up in Protodeacon Nikita's 1970's vintage book on Russian
        Architecture.

        Does anyone know if this church has been restored? Is it an active
        church? Any websites that show recent photographs? Does anyone have
        any photographs they could email me?

        A joyous feast of the Annunciation to all.

        In Christ,
        Rdr John

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2003
          In a message dated 4/8/2003 12:10:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          rdrjohn2000@... writes:

          > Church of the Savior of the Blood
          >
          > I was in a doctor's office today and picked up a travel magazine
          > while waiting for my son to finish. The magazine had photographs of
          > the above church in St. Petersburg. The church is built on the site
          > where Tsar Alexander II was murdered.

          Hmmm...

          Don't know about restoration, but I have a fair idea concerning translation,
          and it sure looks to me like the name given in pseudo-Slavonic says "Church
          of the Resurrection of Christ."

          :-))

          Vova

        • viatich1002
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2003
            Both names belong to the same church. One is official: Khram
            Voskresenija Khristova; the other is just a popular name. :-((