Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: collaborators and assistants to Metropolitan Anthony

  • Michael Nikitin
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7 9:03 PM
      If dVG did observe the facts he would not be focusing on a signature, but on
      the Patriarch's proposed union of Churches in Europe. Which was not *merely*
      addressed, but a calculated move.

      We know that Bishop Ambrosy permits his priests in France to serve with MP
      and we know Bishops Mark's inclination for union with MP.

      The French,who would oppose such union, are out of the way. The road is
      open in Europe (the French left because of Bishop Ambrosy's leaning for
      union with MP). In America, Canada and Australia more caution is taken,
      because there are still a lot of parishes who are opposing union with MP.

      The MP is in the WCC and prays with heretics.

      In Russia, parishes of ROCOR(V) wanted to register, but were thwarted by
      ROCOR(L) who wrote to the Gov't that they were not a Church. See
      http://www.listok.com in Russian.

      Someone doesn't want the faithful of ROCOR(L) in Russia to go to ROCOR(V)
      when union with MP occurs.

      With the MP nothing is *merely*.

      It will be interesting to see what type of economia is used by the MP when
      ROCOR(L), seen as a schismatic Church by MP, will be embraced.

      Michael N.

      From: "maestro_vg" <diakon@...>
      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: collaborators and assistants to Metropolitan
      Anthony
      Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:45:24 -0000

      What signature? It appears that bishop Amvrosy was merely
      addressed... perhaps another example of how the "super-orthodox"
      observe everything but the facts...
      dVG

    • vkozyreff
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 8 3:48 AM
        Dear Father Daniel, bless.

        I thank you for your good words.

        You write: "Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful?
        discerning? that he does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured
        out upon him at his consecration?

        1. Vl Mark was once disciplined for not being careful vis-à-vis the
        MP. I cannot understand why, having been a NTS activist, he applied
        to study in the Trinity St Sergius Lavra when it was the centre of
        KGB anti God activity.

        2. The number of bishops who, in the past, have erred and fallen into
        schism, apostasy or heresy is considerable. Did they carry the grace
        of the Apostles poured out upon him at his consecration?

        3. We are not choosing between my opinion and that of a bishop. We
        have to choose between the opinion of bishops and sizeable parts of
        the Church that disagree with one another.

        4. We are not accusing or condemning the captains of the ships. We
        have only to choose which ship to board. We know that some maps that
        were obviously wrong have not been corrected and are still in use. We
        know also that some captains say now that it does not matter any
        longer what maps will be used. They say that the most important thing
        is to be all on the same ship.

        5. You write: "There is nothing in the official documents of ROCOR,
        that I have been shown or have read, which indicates that it is not
        possible to discuss possible ways forward following the fall of
        communism in Russia". Speaking about official documents, there is
        none that show any will on the part of the MP to quit sergianism and
        ecumenism, and yet, we are invited to unite. Vl Amvrosii allows his
        flock to commune with the MP.

        6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
        question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
        ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
        concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
        sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

        In God and asking your prayers,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "orthodoxchurch_sg"
        <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:
        > Dear in Christ Vladimir ~
        > You believe this, you assume that, you suspect the other. What are
        > you actually saying, based on evidence, teaching, official
        statements?
        > You are quite right - we are Orthodox or not. And our Orthodoxy
        does
        > not depend upon individual opinion, suspicion, assumption, however
        > respected or revered the opinion giver may be. There is nothing in
        > the official documents of ROCOR, that I have been shown or have
        read,
        > which indicates that it is not possible to discuss possible ways
        > forward following the fall of communism in Russia. Indeed, if we
        were
        > not to consider it a possibilty we would be restricting the wisdom
        > and the power and the glory of God. We must be careful, of course.
        > Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful? discerning? that he
        > does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured out upon him at his
        > consecration? Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not
        unthinking
        > automotons. Yet, surely, as I was taight and brought up in
        Orthodoxy
        > among the clergy and laity of ROCOR (I am now a priest in EP)
        > including Metropolitan Philaret, Bishops Gregory and Constantine
        and
        > Mark, - humility and patience and obedience count for a great deal.
        > Where are they when it comes to splashing documents you dont like
        on
        > the InterNet?
        > God bless you and keep you well / Fr Daniel
      • Victor Artzimovitch
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8 10:17 AM
          You write: "Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful?
          discerning? that he does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured
          out upon him at his consecration?

          1. Vl Mark was once disciplined for not being careful vis-à-vis the
          MP. I cannot understand why, having been a NTS activist, he applied
          to study in the Trinity St Sergius Lavra when it was the centre of
          KGB anti God activity.

          Vl.Mark studied (as far as I know) in the Belgrade academy.
          Vl.Mark was disciplined as was ex-Vl. Varnava, but for very different
          reasons.

          2. The number of bishops who, in the past, have erred and fallen into
          schism, apostasy or heresy is considerable. Did they carry the grace
          of the Apostles poured out upon him at his consecration?

          ...so is the case of ex-Vl. Varnava....

          3. We are not choosing between my opinion and that of a bishop. We
          have to choose between the opinion of bishops and sizeable parts of
          the Church that disagree with one another.

          ... what is a "sizeable part of the Church" ? One ex-bishop and some
          preasts...?

          4. We are not accusing or condemning the captains of the ships. We
          have only to choose which ship to board. We know that some maps that
          were obviously wrong have not been corrected and are still in use. We
          know also that some captains say now that it does not matter any
          longer what maps will be used. They say that the most important thing
          is to be all on the same ship.

          ...it's like flying a Boeing 747 with maps dated back to ancient Rome!!!!
          Times have changed, Russia is in a very difficult process of reforms. So is
          probably MP.
          Yes, the most important thing is to be on the same ship in order to help the
          captains to find back the right track...
          Just pointing that the map is wrong is not enough....

          5. You write: "There is nothing in the official documents of ROCOR,
          that I have been shown or have read, which indicates that it is not
          possible to discuss possible ways forward following the fall of
          communism in Russia". Speaking about official documents, there is
          none that show any will on the part of the MP to quit sergianism and
          ecumenism, and yet, we are invited to unite. Vl Amvrosii allows his
          flock to commune with the MP.

          Our Lord has not refused Judas of being part in the Last Supper...
          How can we not accept "just" a discussion?

          6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
          question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
          ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
          concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
          sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

          Should this question not be part of our discussions? ...and not a statement?

          V.Artzimovitch

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 8 12:26 PM
            Dear V,

            Regarding the possibility of ROCOR to make the MP change course
            after the reunion, even Father Alexander Lebedeff does not believe in
            it.

            We all know where Vl Mark did study, but we also know that his
            application to the Trinity St Sergius Lavra was turned down.

            You write: "How can we not accept "just" a discussion (with the MP)?
            There are many recommendations to the contrary in the Holy Fathers.

            This letter is probably a hoax, but it has been an interesting
            opportunity to exchange ideas.

            The good thing is that this time we did not fight. Glory to God.

            PS I have a special friendship to your family (your father and your
            sister), with regards to the marvellous memories that my children
            have kept of their Vitiazi years. This friendship automatically
            spills over to you.

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Artzimovitch"
            <vartzimovitch@v...> wrote:

> [...]
            Metropolitan

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • byakimov@csc.com.au
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 8 3:31 PM
              Dear Victor

              Our friend Vladimir meant that our current ROCA Bishops & priests who
              perefer
              any dialogue with the MP be undertaken when the "... MP has renounced
              sergianism and
              ecumenism...." etc. Indeed & I am glad that it is very sizeable!

              protodeacon Basil from Canberra

              "Victor Artzimovitch" <vartzimovitch@...> on 09/04/2003 03:17:03 AM

              To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
              cc:
              Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: collaborators and assistants to
              Metropolitan Anthony

              <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:
              > Dear in Christ Vladimir ~
              > You believe this, you assume that, you suspect the other. What are
              > you actually saying, based on evidence, teaching, official
              statements?
              > You are quite right - we are Orthodox or not. And our Orthodoxy
              does
              > not depend upon individual opinion, suspicion, assumption, however
              > respected or revered the opinion giver may be. There is nothing in
              > the official documents of ROCOR, that I have been shown or have
              read,
              > which indicates that it is not possible to discuss possible ways
              > forward following the fall of communism in Russia. Indeed, if we
              were
              > not to consider it a possibilty we would be restricting the wisdom
              > and the power and the glory of God. We must be careful, of course.
              > Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful? discerning? that he
              > does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured out upon him at his
              > consecration? Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not
              unthinking
              > automotons. Yet, surely, as I was taight and brought up in
              Orthodoxy
              > among the clergy and laity of ROCOR (I am now a priest in EP)
              > including Metropolitan Philaret, Bishops Gregory and Constantine
              and
              > Mark, - humility and patience and obedience count for a great deal.
              > Where are they when it comes to splashing documents you dont like
              on
              > the InterNet?
              > God bless you and keep you well / Fr Daniel

            • cantor71
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 9 7:31 AM
                <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

                > This letter is probably a hoax, but it has been an interesting
                > opportunity to exchange ideas.

                Well, it is clearly not a hoax, as it has just been posted on the MP
                website (so far in Russian only).

                George

                http://www.russian-orthodox-church.org.ru/nr304091.htm
              • Michael Nikitin
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 9 9:51 AM
                  From: "Victor Artzimovitch" <vartzimovitch@...>
                  To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
                  Metropolitan Anthony
                  Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:17:03 +0200

                  ...it's like flying a Boeing 747 with maps dated back to ancient Rome!!!!
                  Times have changed, Russia is in a very difficult process of reforms. So is
                  probably MP.
                  Yes, the most important thing is to be on the same ship in order to help the
                  captains to find back the right track...
                  Just pointing that the map is wrong is not enough....

                  We should change the Church to the times?

                  The French did want to stay on course , but the Captains took the new
                  course . They are flying the ship and didn't want anyone interfering. I find
                  it is hard to help the Captains find back the right track. They won't
                  listen. That's why so many left and are leaving.
                  Why crash with them when one can take another ship and fly the same safe
                  route as our Holy Fathers? Knowing at least that we are following
                  the course the Captains took that never crashed.

                  6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
                  question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
                  ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
                  concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
                  sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

                  Should this question not be part of our discussions? ...and not a statement?

                  V.Artzimovitch

                  ROCOR in it's letter to Patriarch Pavel begged him to pave the way for
                  dialogue and eventual union with MP. The MP wrote that ROCOR was in schism
                  from the Russian Church. Who's uniting to whom? How will ROCOR be united
                  with MP since they are in schism?

                  If we are not to waite for MP to show their good will to the faith and
                  renounce ecumenism that we Anathemetized, what should we expect from her?
                  Some concessions here and there and say they repented?
                  The MP have to show a desire to renounce these heresies, otherwise what's
                  stopping us from having dialogue with the Muslims, Jews, Latins,
                  Protestants, etc....Not a good idea.

                  Michael N.

                • frpeterjackson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 14 6:52 AM
                    Just an aside: It was said:

                    >Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not unthinking
                    > automotons.

                    The phrase "rational sheep" is often misunderstood, mainly because of
                    the clumsy tranlation. "Rational" as used here is an overly-literal
                    rendering of the Greek "logikos", which did not mean "logical" at the
                    time. (I don't think it took on this sense till the Middle Ages.) It
                    come from "logos", meaning the inner, non-literal sense of something,
                    rather the the superficial meaning. IOW, "logikos/rational" refers to
                    what we what call the metaphorical sense. "Metaphorical", then, is
                    the best way to render this (though I doubt anyone will ever bother
                    to do so). As Christ's sheep, we are to be reasonable, certainly, but
                    the phrase in question has nothing to do w/this. Rather, it simply
                    means that we are His "metaphorical sheep", rather than literal cud-
                    chewing, bleating creatures.

                    Another case which comes to mind is Romans 12:1, which speaks of us
                    offering ourselves as living sacrifices because this is
                    our "reasonable service". Again, the word "reasonable" is "logikos"
                    and should be translated as "metaphorical". More than once I have
                    heard (or read) people respond to this passage saying, "Yes, offering
                    our bodies as living sacrifices is only reasonable, after all."
                    Actually, it's not very reasonable, and if anyone tried to crawl up
                    onto the altar table, it would be a problem. "Reasonable" has nothing
                    to do with what St. Paul is saying. "Service" here means liturgical
                    worship, in the sense of the OT priests sacrificing animals in the
                    Temple. St. Paul is merely saying that instead of sacrificing
                    animals, we Christians are to offer ourselves; this is how we
                    metaphorically serve God around a metaphorical altar. It is true
                    service, to be sure, but not in the literal sense of a blood
                    sacrifice.

                    Fr. Peter Jackson