collaborators and assistants to Metropolitan Anthony

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2003
      Dear List,

      Below is a very interesting document dated April 1, 2003, and
      particularly the paragraph below, were Vl Amvrosii and vl Mark are
      invited to collaborate with metropolitan Anthony.

      "…In the period preceding the election the Most Reverend Archbishop
      Simon of Brussels and Belgium, the Most Reverend Archbishop
      Innokentii of Korsun, the Right Reverend Bishop Gabriel of Komana,
      the Right Reverend Bishop Amvrosii of Geneva and Western Europe, as
      well as Archbishop Anatolii of Kerch, Bishop Basil of Sergievo and
      Bishop Michael of Klavdiopolis, whilst retaining their usual powers,
      are invited to become close collaborators and assistants to
      Metropolitan Anthony.

      At the next stage the Most Reverend Archbishop Mark of Berlin,
      Germany and Great Britain (Russian Church Abroad), the Most Reverend
      Archbishop Longin of Klinsk, the Most Reverend Archbishop Feofan of
      Berlin and Germany, and the Most Reverend Archbishop Paul of Vienna
      and Budapest should obviously also be invited to take part in the
      process, so that the restoration of Church unity in the Russian
      diaspora can be extended to the countries of Central Europe as well…"

      in God

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      http://www.sourozh.org/news/patriarch010403_en.htm

      The following letter has been received by Metropolitan Anthony and he
      has asked that it be placed on our diocesan website and given general
      distribution. The proposals made in it are quite clearly of great
      importance for the Diocese of Sourozh. Indeed, if it proves possible
      to implement them, they will significantly affect the development of
      Orthodoxy in Western and Central Europe.

      + Basil

      Bishop of Sergievo
      Assistant Bishop
      Diocese of Sourozh

      THE PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA
      ALEXIS
      1st April
      2003
      119034 Moscow, Chistiy per. 5
      Doc. No. 1378

      His Grace the Most Reverend Anthony,
      Metropolitan of Sourozh
      His Grace the Most Reverend Simon,
      Archbishop of Brussels and Belgium
      His Grace the Most Reverend Innokentii,
      Archbishop of Korsun
      His Grace the Right Reverend Gabriel,
      Bishop of Komana,
      Locum Tenens of the Archdiocese
      of Russian Orthodox Parishes in Western Europe
      His Grace the Right Reverend Amvrosii,
      Bishop of Geneva and Western Europe
      (Russian Orthodox Church Abroad)
      and all Orthodox parishes of Russian tradition in Western Europe

      Most Reverend Bishops,
      dear Fathers, Brothers and Sisters!
      During these forty days of Holy Lent we think constantly about the
      future of the heritage of the Russian Church which follows the
      traditions of Russian Orthodoxy in the countries of the West.
      By the grace of God, through the intercession of the Queen of Heaven
      and the prayers of the New Martyrs and Confessors of Russia, Church
      life in our country is being successfully reborn in all its fullness.
      Of course one must not yield to the temptation of a misplaced
      triumphalism: on the human side there are still very many
      shortcomings in the good ordering of our Holy Church. The Lord
      expects from us a greater depth of repentance, a greater readiness
      for sacrifice, a greater zeal in our work for the salvation and
      enlightenment of the millions of people, who though they have been
      baptised were not brought up in the Orthodox faith as children.
      However, the temptations and weaknesses to be observed in the Church
      community in our country are mainly due to "growing pains". A
      spring-like awakening after a long and cruel winter of enforced god-
      lessness can be neither instantaneous nor painless.
      The picture changes when we look at the Church life of our
      compatriots in the diaspora. The first question which inevitably
      arises is: how can one explain the continuing separation of the
      sundered parts of the Russian Church? Clearly it was brought into
      being by the historical tragedy of the Russian people, the breakdown
      of society as a result of the catastrophe that was the Revolution.
      Both Metropolitan Anthony [Khrapovitsky – Ed.] and Metropolitan
      Evlogii made it clear that their move away from full unity with the
      Mother Church in our country was motivated only by political rather
      than by any other reasons. These outstanding bishop-pastors, each in
      his own way, deeply loved the Russia they were never to see again,
      and each believed that Church unity would be restored as soon as the
      yoke of godlessness oppressing their country was broken. Their
      fellow bishops, who experienced the full ferocity of the persecution
      of the Church in the USSR of that time, believed this too. His
      Holiness Photius, Patriarch of Constantinople, also believed this
      when, in 1931, he voiced his opinion that the temporary subordination
      of the Russian Exarchate in Western Europe to the throne of
      Constantinople would continue "until, God willing, unity and the
      unbroken image of the Holy sister Russian Church are restored." His
      Holiness Patriarch Athenagoras confirmed this when, in 1965, he gave
      his blessing to the Exarchate of Russian Parishes in Western Europe
      for their return to the bosom of the Russian Orthodox Church.
      We can hardly doubt that the time has come for a restoration of
      unity. We have already written on this matter in brotherly epistles,
      in September of last year to His Holiness Bartholomew, Patriarch of
      Constantinople, and in the preceding year to the members of the
      Episcopal Council of the Russian Church Abroad. We consider that the
      time has now come for us to address this epistle directly to our
      compatriots in the countries of Western Europe and to their spiritual
      pastors. Why is it that now, when the years of sore trials have
      passed, when the Mother Church can freely fulfil its calling and
      Russia aspires to restore continuity with its historical past, Church
      divisions still continue, though the reasons for them have long
      disappeared? Why do we not fulfil the hopes of our predecessors and
      spiritual fathers?
      Apart from those reasons that have their roots in human sinfulness,
      there are other, more benign reasons for this. The grandchildren and
      great grandchildren of the `first generation' émigrés feel that they
      have in every sense put down roots in the countries where they now
      live and where they play an active part in social and cultural life.
      While the heritage of their fathers is precious to them, many of
      these representatives of the Russian spiritual tradition who live in
      Western Europe wish to preserve the forms of Church life which have
      gradually developed over many years conditions quite unlike those in
      which the Church found itself in Russia, though these forms are
      rooted in the same canonical tradition, as set out in the regulations
      established by the Ecumenical and Local Councils and by the Fathers
      of the Church, traditions made manifest in the acts and decisions of
      the All-Russian Local Council (Sobor) of 1917-1918.
      In addition to this, parishes founded by Russians and following
      Russian traditions have over the years acquired a multinational
      character and in liturgical practice make widespread use of local
      languages, which since the time of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Equal
      to the Apostles, has invariably been a characteristic of Orthodox
      pastoral and missionary work.
      Therefore, so as to have a certain guarantee in the preservation of
      an established, familiar order, some of our compatriots living in
      Western countries - and some of the local Orthodox who form part of
      communities living according to the Russian tradition - wish to
      structure their Church life according to their own Statutes, which
      guarantee internal self-government and the election of their own
      ruling bishop, on condition that the bishop so elected is then
      confirmed by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and the Holy
      Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church.
      Such wishes have been expressed in particular by the Diocesan
      Assembly of the Diocese of Sourozh and have found expression in their
      draft Statutes. They also represent a very significant element in
      the conclusions arrived at by the "Commission on the Future of the
      Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Parishes in Western Europe"
      established two years ago by the late Archbishop Serge of Evkarpia.
      Such an arrangement is also envisaged in the current Statutes of the
      Archdiocese.
      Taking into consideration the combined weight of these wishes, I
      consider that they could be realised through the creation in Western
      Europe of a single Metropolia, consisting of several diocese and
      embracing all the Orthodox parishes, monasteries and communities of
      Russian origin and Russian spiritual tradition who would wish to be a
      part of such a Metropolia. In addition to this it is envisaged that
      such a Metropolia would be granted the right of self-government,
      including the election of its ruling bishop by a Council of the
      Metropolia consisting of bishops, presbyters and laity on the basis
      of Statutes to be worked out with the participation of all groups in
      the Orthodox Russian diaspora in the countries of Western Europe.
      Until the first election of a Ruling Bishop (Metropolitan) takes
      place we consider it right to entrust the care of the newly
      constituted Metropolia to His Grace Anthony, Metropolitan of Sourozh,
      despite his previously expressed wish to retire. The immense pastoral
      experience and recognised spiritual authority of this universally
      respected Bishop will act as a guarantee of success for this new way
      of organising the life of the Russian Orthodox Church in Western
      Europe.
[...]
      We hope that an autonomous Metropolia, uniting all the faithful of
      the Russian Orthodox tradition in the countries of Western Europe,
      will serve, at a time pleasing to God, as the foundation for the
      future canonical establishment of a multinational Local Orthodox
      Church of Western Europe, to be built in a spirit of conciliarity by
      all the Orthodox faithful living in those countries.
      In a spirit of love I call upon you all, dear Bishops, Fathers,
      Brothers and Sisters, to labour in the great work of healing the
      painful divisions of the Russian diaspora. May the God of love and
      peace bless your efforts.

      (signed) + ALEXIS
      PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA
    • Michael Nikitin
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2003
        The signature of Bishop Ambrosy tells it all. The Synod didn't want anyone
        interfering with their union with MP and therefore got rid of those who were
        in their way. To some this was obvious in 1986 when many parishes left. Now
        everyone knows why the French were driven out also.

        The Anathema Against Ecumenism which ROCOR signed in 1983 and later
        confirmed doesn't matter?

        The MP is in the WCC and prays with heretics.

        We have to find a hard hat or seek somewhere it doesn't rain Anathema's on
        our heads.

        Michael N.

        From: "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@...>
        To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [orthodox-synod] collaborators and assistants to Metropolitan
        Anthony
        Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 16:26:00 -0000

        Dear List,

[...]

        great grandchildren of the `first generation' �migr�s feel that they

      • maestro_vg
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2003
          What signature? It appears that bishop Amvrosy was merely
          addressed... perhaps another example of how the "super-orthodox"
          observe everything but the facts...
          dVG

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Nikitin"
          <mikeniki@h...> wrote:
          > The signature of Bishop Ambrosy tells it all. The Synod didn't want
          anyone
          > interfering with their union with MP and therefore got rid of those
          who were
          > in their way. To some this was obvious in 1986 when many parishes
          left. Now
          > everyone knows why the French were driven out also.
          >
          > The Anathema Against Ecumenism which ROCOR signed in 1983 and later
          > confirmed doesn't matter?
          >
          > The MP is in the WCC and prays with heretics.
          >
          > We have to find a hard hat or seek somewhere it doesn't rain
          Anathema's on
          > our heads.
          >
          > Michael N.
          >
          > From: "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@s...>
          > To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [orthodox-synod] collaborators and assistants to
          Metropolitan

          5
> [...]
          > Archbishop Paul of Vienna and Budapest should obviously also be
          > invited to take part in the process, so that the restoration of
          > Church unity in the Russian diaspora can be extended to the
          countries
          > of Central Europe as well.
          > We hope that an autonomous Metropolia, uniting all the faithful of
          > the Russian Orthodox tradition in the countries of Western Europe,
          > will serve, at a time pleasing to God, as the foundation for the
          > future canonical establishment of a multinational Local Orthodox
          > Church of Western Europe, to be built in a spirit of conciliarity by
          > all the Orthodox faithful living in those countries.
          > In a spirit of love I call upon you all, dear Bishops, Fathers,
          > Brothers and Sisters, to labour in the great work of healing the
          > painful divisions of the Russian diaspora. May the God of love and

        • orthodoxchurch_sg
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 6, 2003
            Evlogite!
            Indeed ~ if I am invited to become a Mason, have I erred? If I am
            asked to a BBQ next week, have I broken the Fast?
            The desire of the 'super-Orthodox' to run to condemnation does no
            credit to their cause. "Help me to see my own faults and not to judge
            my brother" we pray most days during the Great Lent, but the desire
            on the part of some to condemn and judge their hierarchs sometimes
            beggars belief.
            Fr Daniel
          • boulia_1
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2003
              This is indeed interesting and it will be interesting to see the
              reactions to this letter, particularly from the Synod.

              My husband pointed out its date: April Fool's Day (Ne komu ne veri).

              Still, if this letter IS 'for real,' it is interesting that Abp. Mark
              (who is healthy and active; as opposed to Vl. Amvrossy, who is unwell
              and wishes to retire) was not 'invited' to participate in the
              organization of this proposed new Metropolitinate now, even though
              his (ROCOR)diocese includes Great Britain (Metropolitan Anthony Bloom
              is in Great Britain).

              Also, I have heard from my relatives in England that Metropolitan
              Anthony's health is very poor.

              I certainly hope that everyone will restrain themselves from jumping
              to conclusions and rushing to condemn our ROCOR hierarchs; remember,
              THEY did not write this letter (in fact, I wonder who did?).

              Wishing all a joyous Feast of the Annunciation,
              Elizabeth

              <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
              > Dear List,
              >
              > Below is a very interesting document dated April 1, 2003, and
              > particularly the paragraph below, were Vl Amvrosii and vl Mark are
              > invited to collaborate with metropolitan Anthony.
              >
              > "…In the period preceding the election the Most Reverend Archbishop
              > Simon of Brussels and Belgium, the Most Reverend Archbishop
              > Innokentii of Korsun, the Right Reverend Bishop Gabriel of Komana,
              > the Right Reverend Bishop Amvrosii of Geneva and Western Europe, as
              > well as Archbishop Anatolii of Kerch, Bishop Basil of Sergievo and
              > Bishop Michael of Klavdiopolis, whilst retaining their usual
              powers,
              > are invited to become close collaborators and assistants to
              > Metropolitan Anthony.
              >
              > At the next stage the Most Reverend Archbishop Mark of Berlin,
              > Germany and Great Britain (Russian Church Abroad), the Most
              Reverend
              > Archbishop Longin of Klinsk, the Most Reverend Archbishop Feofan of
              > Berlin and Germany, and the Most Reverend Archbishop Paul of Vienna
              > and Budapest should obviously also be invited to take part in the
              > process, so that the restoration of Church unity in the Russian
              > diaspora can be extended to the countries of Central Europe as
              well…"

              > in God
              >
              > Vladimir Kozyreff
              >

              > http://www.sourozh.org/news/patriarch010403_en.htm
              >

              > The following letter has been received by Metropolitan Anthony and
              he
              > has asked that it be placed on our diocesan website and given
              general
              > distribution. The proposals made in it are quite clearly of great
              > importance for the Diocese of Sourozh. Indeed, if it proves
              possible
              > to implement them, they will significantly affect the development
              of
              > Orthodoxy in Western and Central Europe.
              >
              > + Basil
              >
              > Bishop of Sergievo
              > Assistant Bishop
              > Diocese of Sourozh
              >

              > THE PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA
              > ALEXIS
              > 1st April

              2003

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2003
                Dear Father Daniel, bless.

                The autonomy that "Patriarch" Aleksy II is suggesting here has
                already been suggested by Vl Mark before. Vl Mark probably does not
                consider that the invitation is that negative and would probably not
                equate this to an invitation to become a Mason. Vl Amvrosii, I
                believe, has always agreed with Vl Mark in this matter. The
                invitation does not mention ecumenism or sergianism, but neither Vl
                Mark nor Vl Amvrosii seemed to believe that these are obstacles.

                I think the question is not about judging people, be it our ROCOR
                hierarchs or the MP hierarchs. The question is to know whether ROCOR
                follows the right course. As we all know, there have been
                disagreements on this matter. Observing contradictions and detecting
                them has nothing to do with "the desire on the part of some to
                condemn and judge their hierarchs". Again, we are not judging people.
                We are discussing proposals. Lay people too may do this. The question
                is:

                1. Is that autonomy acceptable in the present conditions? (Union
                before the MP has renounced sergianism and ecumenism.)
                2. How will the 2 ROCOR hierarchs reply? (The invitation seems to
                correspond to wishes that they already expressed before.)

                I would like to add that there is no "super orthodox", in my opinion.
                There are only orthodox and non - orthodox. An orthodox should be
                fundamentally orthodox, because nothing is wrong in orthodoxy. You
                cannot become better by becoming a little bit less orthodox. There is
                no such thing as being "too much orthodox".

                In God,

                Vladimir Kozyreff

                In his June 5, 2002 interview to "Nezavisimaya gazeta", Vl Mark
                says:
                - "In the remote prospect there could be a form of coexistence, and a
                further dialogue in the form which was described already by Patriarch
                Aleksy II.
                - In one of the interviews he gave, he recognised natural, that the
                ROCOR part of the Russian Church has a life, features which were
                developed for 80 years, and nobody should bury them into oblivion.
                - For example, among our parishioners there are a a lot of non-
                Russians. We thus in many respects differ from the Russian parishes.
                - Any model of a mutual recognition which gradually would pass in the
                form of an autonomy is therefore necessary".

                http://religion.ng.ru/people/2002-06-05/1_looking.html

                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "orthodoxchurch_sg"
                <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:

                > Evlogite!
                > Indeed ~ if I am invited to become a Mason, have I erred? If I am
                > asked to a BBQ next week, have I broken the Fast?
                > The desire of the 'super-Orthodox' to run to condemnation does no
                > credit to their cause. "Help me to see my own faults and not to
                judge
                > my brother" we pray most days during the Great Lent, but the desire
                > on the part of some to condemn and judge their hierarchs sometimes
                > beggars belief.
                > Fr Daniel
              • Joachim Wertz
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2003
                  I have some problems with this letter. The language just doesn't sound
                  official or ecclesiastical enough. It is unclear, at least to me, whether
                  Bishop Simon is already Bishop of Brussels or "will be" elected. Is it a
                  foregone conclusion? Also, when all these MP vicar Bishops are mentioned,
                  why is not Bishop Agapit mentioned along side of Archbishop Mark? What ever
                  became of the MP Bishop Hilarion of Brussels? Now as I understand it, there
                  might be some legal considerations involved that necessitate treating Bishop
                  Amvrosii and Archbishop Mark on different levels. For example, I think that
                  any ecclesiastical institution based in Germany cannot legally exercise
                  jurisdiction in Austria. I have heard or read this, although the situation
                  of the Serbian Church in Germany and western Europe would seem to contradict
                  this. Those who know better, please correct me if I am wrong. So any Russian
                  Orthodox Metropolia for Western Europe might have to be administratively
                  distinct from one for Germany.

                  Joachim Wertz

                  From: "boulia_1" <eledkovsky@...>
                  Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 12:15:11 -0000
                  To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                  Anthony

                  <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
                  > Dear List,
                  >
                  > Below is a very interesting document dated April 1, 2003, and
                  > particularly the paragraph below, were Vl Amvrosii and vl Mark are
                  > invited to collaborate with metropolitan Anthony.
                  >
                  > "…In the period preceding the election the Most Reverend Archbishop
                  > Simon of Brussels and Belgium, the Most Reverend Archbishop
                  > Innokentii of Korsun, the Right Reverend Bishop Gabriel of Komana,
                  > the Right Reverend Bishop Amvrosii of Geneva and Western Europe, as
                  > well as Archbishop Anatolii of Kerch, Bishop Basil of Sergievo and
                  > Bishop Michael of Klavdiopolis, whilst retaining their usual
                  powers,
                  > are invited to become close collaborators and assistants to
                  > Metropolitan Anthony.
                  >
                  > At the next stage the Most Reverend Archbishop Mark of Berlin,
                  > Germany and Great Britain (Russian Church Abroad), the Most
                  Reverend
                  > Archbishop Longin of Klinsk, the Most Reverend Archbishop Feofan of
                  > Berlin and Germany, and the Most Reverend Archbishop Paul of Vienna
                  > and Budapest should obviously also be invited to take part in the
                  > process, so that the restoration of Church unity in the Russian
                  > diaspora can be extended to the countries of Central Europe as
                  well…"

                  > in God
                  >
                  > Vladimir Kozyreff
                  >

                  > http://www.sourozh.org/news/patriarch010403_en.htm
                  >

                  > The following letter has been received by Metropolitan Anthony and
                  he
                  > has asked that it be placed on our diocesan website and given
                  general
                  > distribution. The proposals made in it are quite clearly of great
                  > importance for the Diocese of Sourozh. Indeed, if it proves
                  possible
                  > to implement them, they will significantly affect the development
                  of
                  > Orthodoxy in Western and Central Europe.
                  >
                  > + Basil
                  >
                  > Bishop of Sergievo
                  > Assistant Bishop
                  > Diocese of Sourozh
                  >

                  > THE PATRIARCH OF MOSCOW AND ALL RUSSIA
                  > ALEXIS
                  > 1st April

                  2003
> [...]
                  > Archbishop Paul of Vienna and Budapest should obviously also be
                  > invited to take part in the process, so that the restoration of
                  > Church unity in the Russian diaspora can be extended to the
                  countries
                  > of Central Europe as well.
                  > We hope that an autonomous Metropolia, uniting all the faithful of
                  > the Russian Orthodox tradition in the countries of Western Europe,
                  > will serve, at a time pleasing to God, as the foundation for the
                  > future canonical establishment of a multinational Local Orthodox
                  > Church of Western Europe, to be built in a spirit of conciliarity
                  by
                  > all the Orthodox faithful living in those countries.
                  > In a spirit of love I call upon you all, dear Bishops, Fathers,
                  > Brothers and Sisters, to labour in the great work of healing the
                  > painful divisions of the Russian diaspora. May the God of love and

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • orthodoxchurch_sg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2003
                    Dear in Christ Vladimir ~
                    You believe this, you assume that, you suspect the other. What are
                    you actually saying, based on evidence, teaching, official statements?
                    You are quite right - we are Orthodox or not. And our Orthodoxy does
                    not depend upon individual opinion, suspicion, assumption, however
                    respected or revered the opinion giver may be. There is nothing in
                    the official documents of ROCOR, that I have been shown or have read,
                    which indicates that it is not possible to discuss possible ways
                    forward following the fall of communism in Russia. Indeed, if we were
                    not to consider it a possibilty we would be restricting the wisdom
                    and the power and the glory of God. We must be careful, of course.
                    Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful? discerning? that he
                    does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured out upon him at his
                    consecration? Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not unthinking
                    automotons. Yet, surely, as I was taight and brought up in Orthodoxy
                    among the clergy and laity of ROCOR (I am now a priest in EP)
                    including Metropolitan Philaret, Bishops Gregory and Constantine and
                    Mark, - humility and patience and obedience count for a great deal.
                    Where are they when it comes to splashing documents you dont like on
                    the InterNet?
                    God bless you and keep you well / Fr Daniel
                  • Michael Nikitin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 7, 2003
                      If dVG did observe the facts he would not be focusing on a signature, but on
                      the Patriarch's proposed union of Churches in Europe. Which was not *merely*
                      addressed, but a calculated move.

                      We know that Bishop Ambrosy permits his priests in France to serve with MP
                      and we know Bishops Mark's inclination for union with MP.

                      The French,who would oppose such union, are out of the way. The road is
                      open in Europe (the French left because of Bishop Ambrosy's leaning for
                      union with MP). In America, Canada and Australia more caution is taken,
                      because there are still a lot of parishes who are opposing union with MP.

                      The MP is in the WCC and prays with heretics.

                      In Russia, parishes of ROCOR(V) wanted to register, but were thwarted by
                      ROCOR(L) who wrote to the Gov't that they were not a Church. See
                      http://www.listok.com in Russian.

                      Someone doesn't want the faithful of ROCOR(L) in Russia to go to ROCOR(V)
                      when union with MP occurs.

                      With the MP nothing is *merely*.

                      It will be interesting to see what type of economia is used by the MP when
                      ROCOR(L), seen as a schismatic Church by MP, will be embraced.

                      Michael N.

                      From: "maestro_vg" <diakon@...>
                      To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                      Anthony

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 8, 2003
                        Dear Father Daniel, bless.

                        I thank you for your good words.

                        You write: "Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful?
                        discerning? that he does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured
                        out upon him at his consecration?

                        1. Vl Mark was once disciplined for not being careful vis-à-vis the
                        MP. I cannot understand why, having been a NTS activist, he applied
                        to study in the Trinity St Sergius Lavra when it was the centre of
                        KGB anti God activity.

                        2. The number of bishops who, in the past, have erred and fallen into
                        schism, apostasy or heresy is considerable. Did they carry the grace
                        of the Apostles poured out upon him at his consecration?

                        3. We are not choosing between my opinion and that of a bishop. We
                        have to choose between the opinion of bishops and sizeable parts of
                        the Church that disagree with one another.

                        4. We are not accusing or condemning the captains of the ships. We
                        have only to choose which ship to board. We know that some maps that
                        were obviously wrong have not been corrected and are still in use. We
                        know also that some captains say now that it does not matter any
                        longer what maps will be used. They say that the most important thing
                        is to be all on the same ship.

                        5. You write: "There is nothing in the official documents of ROCOR,
                        that I have been shown or have read, which indicates that it is not
                        possible to discuss possible ways forward following the fall of
                        communism in Russia". Speaking about official documents, there is
                        none that show any will on the part of the MP to quit sergianism and
                        ecumenism, and yet, we are invited to unite. Vl Amvrosii allows his
                        flock to commune with the MP.

                        6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
                        question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
                        ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
                        concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
                        sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

                        In God and asking your prayers,

                        Vladimir Kozyreff

                        <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:
                        > Dear in Christ Vladimir ~
                        > You believe this, you assume that, you suspect the other. What are
                        > you actually saying, based on evidence, teaching, official
                        statements?
                        > You are quite right - we are Orthodox or not. And our Orthodoxy
                        does
                        > not depend upon individual opinion, suspicion, assumption, however
                        > respected or revered the opinion giver may be. There is nothing in
                        > the official documents of ROCOR, that I have been shown or have
                        read,
                        > which indicates that it is not possible to discuss possible ways
                        > forward following the fall of communism in Russia. Indeed, if we
                        were
                        > not to consider it a possibilty we would be restricting the wisdom
                        > and the power and the glory of God. We must be careful, of course.
                        > Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful? discerning? that he
                        > does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured out upon him at his
                        > consecration? Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not
                        unthinking
                        > automotons. Yet, surely, as I was taight and brought up in
                        Orthodoxy
                        > among the clergy and laity of ROCOR (I am now a priest in EP)
                        > including Metropolitan Philaret, Bishops Gregory and Constantine
                        and
                        > Mark, - humility and patience and obedience count for a great deal.
                        > Where are they when it comes to splashing documents you dont like
                        on
                        > the InterNet?
                        > God bless you and keep you well / Fr Daniel
                      • Victor Artzimovitch
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2003
                          You write: "Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful?
                          discerning? that he does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured
                          out upon him at his consecration?

                          1. Vl Mark was once disciplined for not being careful vis-à-vis the
                          MP. I cannot understand why, having been a NTS activist, he applied
                          to study in the Trinity St Sergius Lavra when it was the centre of
                          KGB anti God activity.

                          Vl.Mark studied (as far as I know) in the Belgrade academy.
                          Vl.Mark was disciplined as was ex-Vl. Varnava, but for very different
                          reasons.

                          2. The number of bishops who, in the past, have erred and fallen into
                          schism, apostasy or heresy is considerable. Did they carry the grace
                          of the Apostles poured out upon him at his consecration?

                          ...so is the case of ex-Vl. Varnava....

                          3. We are not choosing between my opinion and that of a bishop. We
                          have to choose between the opinion of bishops and sizeable parts of
                          the Church that disagree with one another.

                          ... what is a "sizeable part of the Church" ? One ex-bishop and some
                          preasts...?

                          4. We are not accusing or condemning the captains of the ships. We
                          have only to choose which ship to board. We know that some maps that
                          were obviously wrong have not been corrected and are still in use. We
                          know also that some captains say now that it does not matter any
                          longer what maps will be used. They say that the most important thing
                          is to be all on the same ship.

                          ...it's like flying a Boeing 747 with maps dated back to ancient Rome!!!!
                          Times have changed, Russia is in a very difficult process of reforms. So is
                          probably MP.
                          Yes, the most important thing is to be on the same ship in order to help the
                          captains to find back the right track...
                          Just pointing that the map is wrong is not enough....

                          5. You write: "There is nothing in the official documents of ROCOR,
                          that I have been shown or have read, which indicates that it is not
                          possible to discuss possible ways forward following the fall of
                          communism in Russia". Speaking about official documents, there is
                          none that show any will on the part of the MP to quit sergianism and
                          ecumenism, and yet, we are invited to unite. Vl Amvrosii allows his
                          flock to commune with the MP.

                          Our Lord has not refused Judas of being part in the Last Supper...
                          How can we not accept "just" a discussion?

                          6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
                          question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
                          ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
                          concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
                          sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

                          Should this question not be part of our discussions? ...and not a statement?

                          V.Artzimovitch

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 8, 2003
                            Dear V,

                            Regarding the possibility of ROCOR to make the MP change course
                            after the reunion, even Father Alexander Lebedeff does not believe in
                            it.

                            We all know where Vl Mark did study, but we also know that his
                            application to the Trinity St Sergius Lavra was turned down.

                            You write: "How can we not accept "just" a discussion (with the MP)?
                            There are many recommendations to the contrary in the Holy Fathers.

                            This letter is probably a hoax, but it has been an interesting
                            opportunity to exchange ideas.

                            The good thing is that this time we did not fight. Glory to God.

                            PS I have a special friendship to your family (your father and your
                            sister), with regards to the marvellous memories that my children
                            have kept of their Vitiazi years. This friendship automatically
                            spills over to you.

                            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Artzimovitch"
                            <vartzimovitch@v...> wrote:

> [...]
                            Metropolitan

                          • byakimov@csc.com.au
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 8, 2003
                              Dear Victor

                              Our friend Vladimir meant that our current ROCA Bishops & priests who
                              perefer
                              any dialogue with the MP be undertaken when the "... MP has renounced
                              sergianism and
                              ecumenism...." etc. Indeed & I am glad that it is very sizeable!

                              protodeacon Basil from Canberra

                              "Victor Artzimovitch" <vartzimovitch@...> on 09/04/2003 03:17:03 AM

                              To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
                              cc:
                              Subject: Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: collaborators and assistants to
                              Metropolitan Anthony

                              <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:
                              > Dear in Christ Vladimir ~
                              > You believe this, you assume that, you suspect the other. What are
                              > you actually saying, based on evidence, teaching, official
                              statements?
                              > You are quite right - we are Orthodox or not. And our Orthodoxy
                              does
                              > not depend upon individual opinion, suspicion, assumption, however
                              > respected or revered the opinion giver may be. There is nothing in
                              > the official documents of ROCOR, that I have been shown or have
                              read,
                              > which indicates that it is not possible to discuss possible ways
                              > forward following the fall of communism in Russia. Indeed, if we
                              were
                              > not to consider it a possibilty we would be restricting the wisdom
                              > and the power and the glory of God. We must be careful, of course.
                              > Are you suggesting that Vl Mark is not careful? discerning? that he
                              > does not carry the grace of the Apostles poured out upon him at his
                              > consecration? Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not
                              unthinking
                              > automotons. Yet, surely, as I was taight and brought up in
                              Orthodoxy
                              > among the clergy and laity of ROCOR (I am now a priest in EP)
                              > including Metropolitan Philaret, Bishops Gregory and Constantine
                              and
                              > Mark, - humility and patience and obedience count for a great deal.
                              > Where are they when it comes to splashing documents you dont like
                              on
                              > the InterNet?
                              > God bless you and keep you well / Fr Daniel

                            • cantor71
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                                <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

                                > This letter is probably a hoax, but it has been an interesting
                                > opportunity to exchange ideas.

                                Well, it is clearly not a hoax, as it has just been posted on the MP
                                website (so far in Russian only).

                                George

                                http://www.russian-orthodox-church.org.ru/nr304091.htm
                              • Michael Nikitin
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 9, 2003
                                  From: "Victor Artzimovitch" <vartzimovitch@...>
                                  To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
                                  Metropolitan Anthony
                                  Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:17:03 +0200

                                  ...it's like flying a Boeing 747 with maps dated back to ancient Rome!!!!
                                  Times have changed, Russia is in a very difficult process of reforms. So is
                                  probably MP.
                                  Yes, the most important thing is to be on the same ship in order to help the
                                  captains to find back the right track...
                                  Just pointing that the map is wrong is not enough....

                                  We should change the Church to the times?

                                  The French did want to stay on course , but the Captains took the new
                                  course . They are flying the ship and didn't want anyone interfering. I find
                                  it is hard to help the Captains find back the right track. They won't
                                  listen. That's why so many left and are leaving.
                                  Why crash with them when one can take another ship and fly the same safe
                                  route as our Holy Fathers? Knowing at least that we are following
                                  the course the Captains took that never crashed.

                                  6. The question is not "to unite or not to unite with the MP". The
                                  question is "To unite after the MP has renounced sergianism and
                                  ecumenism or before it has renounced sergianism and ecumenism". I am
                                  concerned, and this concern is not only mine. It is the concern of a
                                  sizeable part of the Church and of bishops.

                                  Should this question not be part of our discussions? ...and not a statement?

                                  V.Artzimovitch

                                  ROCOR in it's letter to Patriarch Pavel begged him to pave the way for
                                  dialogue and eventual union with MP. The MP wrote that ROCOR was in schism
                                  from the Russian Church. Who's uniting to whom? How will ROCOR be united
                                  with MP since they are in schism?

                                  If we are not to waite for MP to show their good will to the faith and
                                  renounce ecumenism that we Anathemetized, what should we expect from her?
                                  Some concessions here and there and say they repented?
                                  The MP have to show a desire to renounce these heresies, otherwise what's
                                  stopping us from having dialogue with the Muslims, Jews, Latins,
                                  Protestants, etc....Not a good idea.

                                  Michael N.

                                • frpeterjackson
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 14, 2003
                                    Just an aside: It was said:

                                    >Yes, the laity should be rational sheep, not unthinking
                                    > automotons.

                                    The phrase "rational sheep" is often misunderstood, mainly because of
                                    the clumsy tranlation. "Rational" as used here is an overly-literal
                                    rendering of the Greek "logikos", which did not mean "logical" at the
                                    time. (I don't think it took on this sense till the Middle Ages.) It
                                    come from "logos", meaning the inner, non-literal sense of something,
                                    rather the the superficial meaning. IOW, "logikos/rational" refers to
                                    what we what call the metaphorical sense. "Metaphorical", then, is
                                    the best way to render this (though I doubt anyone will ever bother
                                    to do so). As Christ's sheep, we are to be reasonable, certainly, but
                                    the phrase in question has nothing to do w/this. Rather, it simply
                                    means that we are His "metaphorical sheep", rather than literal cud-
                                    chewing, bleating creatures.

                                    Another case which comes to mind is Romans 12:1, which speaks of us
                                    offering ourselves as living sacrifices because this is
                                    our "reasonable service". Again, the word "reasonable" is "logikos"
                                    and should be translated as "metaphorical". More than once I have
                                    heard (or read) people respond to this passage saying, "Yes, offering
                                    our bodies as living sacrifices is only reasonable, after all."
                                    Actually, it's not very reasonable, and if anyone tried to crawl up
                                    onto the altar table, it would be a problem. "Reasonable" has nothing
                                    to do with what St. Paul is saying. "Service" here means liturgical
                                    worship, in the sense of the OT priests sacrificing animals in the
                                    Temple. St. Paul is merely saying that instead of sacrificing
                                    animals, we Christians are to offer ourselves; this is how we
                                    metaphorically serve God around a metaphorical altar. It is true
                                    service, to be sure, but not in the literal sense of a blood
                                    sacrifice.

                                    Fr. Peter Jackson