Re: Neighborhood Groups and the Orthodox: St. Juliana's victory!

  • James Baglien
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 10:54 AM
      Glory to God, and congratulations on your perserverence and success!

      As some of you know, our experiences in Corvallis, OR (another
      "heavily protected" city) were remarkably similar to those described
      by Subdeacon Michael in Santa Fe, both as to the difficulties
      encountered, and as to their ultimate resolution.

      The moral of the story is that meticulously following the procedural
      niceties in such matters comes highly recommended. It both satisfies
      the bureaucrats (who often then take *your* side, once you are seen
      as cooperative and respectful of their role), and wears down the
      opposition during the long process.

      I offer my poor services as well, to anyone seeking advice on a
      similar church project.

      In IC XC,

      Pr. James Baglien
      St. Martin the Merciful Orthodox Church
      Corvallis, Oregon

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, MM Ossorgin <mm@o...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I have been asked to share our experience in obtaining and
      receiving
      > zoning approval for our church with both of these lists since our
      > priest (Dmitry Wieber) has signed off until after lent. Vladyka
      > Gabriel, Protodeacon Leonid, reader Isaac already know of their
      > importance to our parish. We want to thank any of you who offered
      > prayers and support.
      >
      > We bought (a small parish of less than fifty) a three acre
      residential
      > site on a ridge-top in Santa Fe which is governed by both county
      and
      > city authorities. Santa Fe is heavily protected by these agencies.
      > did not obtain a permit (placing the church at a risk) and we built
      our
      > first church on this site. This aggravated and united the majority
      of
      > neighbors against us. The church was served with a notice of
      > violation. We applied for a zoning change but were met with a
      > tremendous amount of neighborhood opposition and lost before both
      > authorities. We appealed and lost in District, State and State
      Supreme
      > courts.
      >
      > We came back and started all over with changes in plans which
      relieved
      > us of any prior concessions since the neighbors won the first
      round.