Research Request for two Russian Saints

  • MM Ossorgin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2003
      Dear Friends,

      I am having research conducted in Russia on all information available
      including icons for the following saints:

      St. Juliana of Lazarevo
      We have a lot of information, much of which is on our website which you
      can visit in order to minimize duplications: stjuliana.com

      We are still conducting research as Reader Isaac is translating and
      helping to assemble all such information for a complete work next year,
      her 400th anniversary. I am also trying to contact (if anyone can
      help, his church email address has been fruitless) Priest Theodore
      Juriewicz who wrote one or two of the icons we have posted at this site.

      I am trying to locate more information of location of this icon (from
      Russia, their translation):
      > [Juliania] looks like Elisavet* with a [twig?] in her left hand; her
      > husband Georgi is taking a seat, his beard is at Grigori Theologian,
      > closed in the prince's fur coat and a cap; their daughter, nun having
      > taken vows of schema Feodora are painted on the ancient icon. Avraam,
      > the son of their son Dimitri is in the Starodubski district.
      > [Institute of Russian Litirature, Collection of Perets, #524, page
      > 107, January 2].
      >
      > Other source contains almost the same description but more details
      > about the colors -
      >
      > [Juliania] looks like Elisavet, has a green shawl on her head, the
      > upper chasuble is of [bakanny?] color, under chasuble is pale blue,
      > her hand is clasped, takes a [twig?]. Her husband Georgi sits down,
      > the beard is at Grigori Theologian, prince's fur coat is cinnabar,
      > under closure is green... [Composite original by Filimonov, page 43,
      > January 2].
      >
      > Iuliania looks like Elisavet, clasped the hand, takes a [twig?], her
      > shawl is green, the chasuble is painted by [bakan?], the under is pale
      > blue. Her husband looks like Grigori Theologian, is taking a seat, in
      > the cap, the prince's fur coat is cinnabar, the under is green. Her
      > daughter nun having taken vows of schema Feodora. All of them are
      > painted on the ancient icon. [Library of Science Academy, Stroganov
      > collection, #66, page 69verso, January 2].

      Century XII: Michael of Murom, wonderworker (not Tver) (feast day May
      21 OS)
      St. Mikhael is mentioned together with his father St. Konstantin and
      brother St. Feodor in all sources. I am also trying to locate more
      information on the location of this icon (from Russia, their
      translation):

      > There is the following description of the icon of the Saint Princes
      > Konstantin and his children Mikhail and Feodor located in the main
      > Cathedral of the monastery in the publication [6]. It is the icon of
      > the XVII century of large size with 87 marks on its sides. The marks
      > contain the inscriptions concerning the acts of these miracle-workers.
      > There is the following text on the bottom of the icon: "The first
      > representatives of the Enlightenment with the Saint baptizing in the
      > city of Murom in the year 6700. In the year 7223 (the year 1714 from
      > Chris Birth), Alexander, the son of Ivan Kazantsev painted this icon".
      > The icon is of 2 arshin 14 vershok of height and 3 arshin 3 vershok of
      > width. Is painted on the lime board on the dark green background. A
      > gray stone from the grave of the miracle workers is on the parvis. It
      > is installed to the bottom part of the iconostasis icon-case.

      They are continuing to research archives in Russia and many relatives
      are helping, but any additional help will be greatly, I repeat greatly,
      appreciated. It does not matter if the information is in Slavonic,
      Russian or English. Of course, I will pay for any expenses.

      MM Ossorgin
      2904 Avenida Alamosa
      Santa Fe, NM 87507-0454 USA

      mm@... You can send an email to me if you prefer my phone