Re: [orthodox-synod] Question on censing

  • for4z@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2003
      In a message dated 4/1/2003 3:27:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      kirbart@... writes:

      > In Tipykhon and many other manuals in a chapter about censoring it said that
      > deacon or priest is censoring "krestoobrazno" (making sign of the cross).
      > In practice I never saw anything of a sort, only movements of the censor
      > back and forth. I guess it wouldn't be hard to do using hand held censor,
      > as was an orthodox practice before those censors on chains (latin type)
      > were introduced to the Eastern Church. Fathers anybody can elaborate on
      > that matter?
      >
      > Subdeacon Kirill

      In our ROCOR bishops, priests, and deacons DO in fact make the sign of the
      Cross with the censer as the typicon prescribes (kresto-obrazno), yet ever so
      slightly. If one looks very carefully, for example when the Altar Table or
      the festal icon in the center of the church is censed on all four sides,
      he/she will see the first 2 swings of the censer on any given side (of the 4)
      go straight back and forth. Yet, on the 3rd swing the person censing usually
      swings the censer slightly from left to right as the censer swings out
      (thereby creating a cross) while he bows, before moving to the next side.

      -Nick Zaharov...PS..In a way, this way of censing adds an aspect of artistry
      and smooth transitioning between the censing of the individual sides, as the
      "left to right" hitch of the 3rd swing turns into an actual turn to the right
      in order to walk to the next side.