Re: [orthodox-synod] Question on censoring

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      At 03:09 PM 4/1/03 -0800, you wrote:

      >In Tipykhon and many other manuals in a chapter about censoring it said
      >that deacon or priest is censoring "krestoobrazno" (making sign of the
      >cross). In practice I never saw anything of a sort, only movements of the
      >censor back and forth. I guess it wouldn't be hard to do using hand held
      >censor, as was an orthodox practice before those censors on chains (latin
      >type) were introduced to the Eastern Church. Fathers anybody can elaborate
      >on that matter?
      >
      >Subdeacon Kirill

      First of all, the English word for "kazhdenie" is "censing," not
      "censoring," which means controlling the content of someone's writing or
      speech, something that sometimes I wish were done on these lists to keep
      some of the nonsense spouted on them off.

      "Censer" -- "kadilo"; "censor" -- "tsenzor."

      As to the question itself, many priests and deacons quite consciously cense
      "krestoobrazno" ("in the form of a cross"). They will cense twice in a
      forward and backward motion, and the third time will cense "across"--i.e.
      from left to right, thus making a cross while censing.

      The old ritualists are quite adamant about preserving this form of censing,
      but it is certainly a practice employed by many in the Russian Church,
      both at home and abroad.

      I try to do it as much as I can, and teach deacons to do this as well.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff