Question on censoring

  • Kiril Bart
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      In Tipykhon and many other manuals in a chapter about censoring it said that deacon or priest is censoring "krestoobrazno" (making sign of the cross). In practice I never saw anything of a sort, only movements of the censor back and forth. I guess it wouldn't be hard to do using hand held censor, as was an orthodox practice before those censors on chains (latin type) were introduced to the Eastern Church. Fathers anybody can elaborate on that matter?

      Subdeacon Kirill

    • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
        At 03:09 PM 4/1/03 -0800, you wrote:

        >In Tipykhon and many other manuals in a chapter about censoring it said
        >that deacon or priest is censoring "krestoobrazno" (making sign of the
        >cross). In practice I never saw anything of a sort, only movements of the
        >censor back and forth. I guess it wouldn't be hard to do using hand held
        >censor, as was an orthodox practice before those censors on chains (latin
        >type) were introduced to the Eastern Church. Fathers anybody can elaborate
        >on that matter?
        >
        >Subdeacon Kirill

        First of all, the English word for "kazhdenie" is "censing," not
        "censoring," which means controlling the content of someone's writing or
        speech, something that sometimes I wish were done on these lists to keep
        some of the nonsense spouted on them off.

        "Censer" -- "kadilo"; "censor" -- "tsenzor."

        As to the question itself, many priests and deacons quite consciously cense
        "krestoobrazno" ("in the form of a cross"). They will cense twice in a
        forward and backward motion, and the third time will cense "across"--i.e.
        from left to right, thus making a cross while censing.

        The old ritualists are quite adamant about preserving this form of censing,
        but it is certainly a practice employed by many in the Russian Church,
        both at home and abroad.

        I try to do it as much as I can, and teach deacons to do this as well.

        With love in Christ,

        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff