Orthodox Palestinians killed in Bethlehem

  • Tim Tadros
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2003
      10 year old Christine Sa'ada of Beit Sahour was shot and killed
      Tuesday evening March 25 by Israeli undercover forces in Bethlehem.
      Christine's father, George, was severely wounded in the neck by the
      gunshots and his wife, Najawah, was moderately wounded. A passerby,
      40 year old Mawfik Badawna of Beit Jala was also killed by the
      Israeli undercover unit. The family was shot 200 meters from the
      Bethlehem Holy Family Hospital (the "Creche") as they were driving
      home. The Israeli forces also shot up another car killing two men
      who they claim were Hamas activists, thus they felt it necessary to
      assassinate them in the middle of town.

      George Sa'ada was the headmaster of the Orthodox School in Beit
      Sahour.

      May the forces who occupy lands that are not theirs realize that
      their actions do little to bring freedom, safety or peace to the
      people they occupy.

      Memory eternal for Christine. Please remember her in your prayers
      and let us all pray for wisdom and humility on the part of our
      leaders so that their efforts may be focused on working for peace in
      the Middle East.

      m. Agapia, Orthodox School of Bethany
    • Nick Steblez
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2003
        Christ is in our midst!

        There is no doubt that the endless circle of violence
        is a tragedy and if anything could add to the horror
        of it all, the fact that it takes place in the Holy
        Land certainly does.
        It was my instant desire to send this message to a
        number of my heterodox friends who somehow believe
        that Christians who live in the Middle East are not
        suffering at the hands of Israeli authorities. This is
        not surprising as, despite the fact that I keep
        hearing from the same story from many Orthodox who
        have spent any amount of time in that area, one never
        hears anything of the sort in the press here in the
        US. However, I am not sure of the exact source of this
        report other than the name at the tag end of it:

        m. Agapia, Orthodox School of Bethany.

        Is there an official source for this such as a
        newspaper report or an acknowledgment from either
        Israeli or Palestinian authorities? It can be
        embarassing and damaging to send a story that proves
        to be untrue or where the source cannot be confirmed.
        Thank you.

        The unworthy servant of God
        Nicholas

        http://platinum.yahoo.com
      • Fr. Gregory Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
          Nicholas Stablez wrote:

          >I am not sure of the exact source of this
          report other than the name at the tag end of it:

          m. Agapia, Orthodox School of Bethany.

          Is there an official source for this such as a
          newspaper report or an acknowledgment from either
          Israeli or Palestinian authorities? It can be
          embarassing and damaging to send a story that proves
          >to be untrue or where the source cannot be confirmed.

          An entirely legitimate concern, Nicholas. I just returned from a week away,
          and am surprised that no one has already responded. I don't know M. Agapia
          myself, but do know quite well Bethany School, which is an institution of
          our Church. Assuming the authenticity of the e-mail (I of course have no
          reason to to assume it, but...!), for my part I would accord a greater
          probability of accuracy and integrity to information emanating from Bethany
          School than from most news sources.

          I'm cc-ing this e-mail to M. Maria (Stephanopoulos) at Bethany, as she may
          wish to comment or provide additional information.
        • StephenATL
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
            Bless, Father;

            If I am not mistaken, «Sister» Maria (Stephanopoulos) was tonsured as a
            nun now, and was given the name Agapia; so she is now «Mother» Agapia.

            Stephanos

            Fr. Gregory Williams wrote:

            > Nicholas Stablez wrote:
            >
            > >I am not sure of the exact source of this
            > report other than the name at the tag end of it:
            >
            > m. Agapia, Orthodox School of Bethany.
            >
            > Is there an official source for this such as a
            > newspaper report or an acknowledgment from either
            > Israeli or Palestinian authorities? It can be
            > embarassing and damaging to send a story that proves
            > >to be untrue or where the source cannot be confirmed.
            >
            > An entirely legitimate concern, Nicholas. I just returned from a week
            > away,
            > and am surprised that no one has already responded. I don't know M.
            > Agapia
            > myself, but do know quite well Bethany School, which is an institution of
            > our Church. Assuming the authenticity of the e-mail (I of course have no
            > reason to to assume it, but...!), for my part I would accord a greater
            > probability of accuracy and integrity to information emanating from
            > Bethany
            > School than from most news sources.
            >
            > I'm cc-ing this e-mail to M. Maria (Stephanopoulos) at Bethany, as she may
            > wish to comment or provide additional information.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246694.3096149.4429097.1711688/D=egroupweb/S=1705074598:HM/A=1512991/R=0/*http://www.choiceshirts.com/store/adsys.asp?coup=cscdaye15&p=/index_yh_relig.asp&source=yhgroupmailreligc-5p>

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          • stefanvpavlenko
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 30, 2003
              If I am not mistaken, Sister Maria (Stephanopolos) IS Mother Agapia
              now.
              Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Gregory Williams"
              <frgregory@k...> wrote:
              > Nicholas Stablez wrote:
              >
              > >I am not sure of the exact source of this
              > report other than the name at the tag end of it:
              >
              > m. Agapia, Orthodox School of Bethany.
              >
              > Is there an official source for this such as a
              > newspaper report or an acknowledgment from either
              > Israeli or Palestinian authorities? It can be
              > embarassing and damaging to send a story that proves
              > >to be untrue or where the source cannot be confirmed.
              >
              > An entirely legitimate concern, Nicholas. I just returned from a
              week away,
              > and am surprised that no one has already responded. I don't know
              M. Agapia
              > myself, but do know quite well Bethany School, which is an
              institution of
              > our Church. Assuming the authenticity of the e-mail (I of course
              have no
              > reason to to assume it, but...!), for my part I would accord a
              greater
              > probability of accuracy and integrity to information emanating
              from Bethany
              > School than from most news sources.
              >
              > I'm cc-ing this e-mail to M. Maria (Stephanopoulos) at Bethany, as
              she may
              > wish to comment or provide additional information.
            • Reader Timothy Tadros
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
                I am sorry to confuse everyone but I originally posted the comunique
                that Mother Agapia (former sister Maria Syephanopoulos) of the
                Bethany School for girls sent me.
                You may view an authenticated news article below:
                http://www.hcef.org/news/news/index.cfm/dsp/NewsView/itemId/939.htm

                other sites to look at:
                http://geocities.com/arabchristian2002/israel.html
                Malik is an Arab Christian who has many other resourced web sites
                listed.
                http://www.jerusalem-times.com
                http://worldnetdaily.com