Gawdie! [was: American-Russian orthodox etiquette...]

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9 1:48 PM
      Paul Tiajoloff wrote:

      > There is an interesting thing that Russian Orthodox children refer to
      > God as "Bojinka" which is a diminutive of "Bog". Nevertheless it
      > does not dimisnish the power of God Almighty. English, to my
      > knowledge, has no such ability to be so concise, so
      > endearing...taking someone so large and making Him almost smaller
      > than a grain of sand yet not taking away anything of His Godliness.

      JRS: Actually, "Bozhen'ka" is not too far from the English "Gawdie"...

    • StephenATL
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9 3:23 PM
        In Greek people say: Christoúli mou......... i.e. My Little-Christ
        as a term of endearment. I know of no such term for God the Father or
        God the Holy Spirit....... We also say: Panayítsa mou........
        My Little Panagía........ (Panagía = Allholy One =
        Presvyataya........ refering to the Theotokos).

        Stephanos

        Fr. John R. Shaw wrote:

        > Paul Tiajoloff wrote:
        >
        > > There is an interesting thing that Russian Orthodox children refer to
        > > God as "Bojinka" which is a diminutive of "Bog". Nevertheless it
        > > does not dimisnish the power of God Almighty. English, to my
        > > knowledge, has no such ability to be so concise, so
        > > endearing...taking someone so large and making Him almost smaller
        > > than a grain of sand yet not taking away anything of His Godliness.
        >
        > JRS: Actually, "Bozhen'ka" is not too far from the English "Gawdie"...
        >
        > In Christ
        > Fr. John R. Shaw
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246694.2952583.4334860.2251764/D=egroupweb/S=1705074598:HM/A=1468267/R=0/*http://www.choiceshirts.com/index_yh_relig.asp?source=yhgroupmailreligc>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      • tiajaia
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9 5:39 PM
          As I was saying...it does not exactly do it justice. Some cultures
          are able to express certain things. This being just a small example
          of what Russia and Russian culture has given to the Church and it
          would be a pity to loose those sort of concepts.
          It was nice to read in a later post that the Greek language is able
          to do the same.
          Paul