Re: [orthodox-synod] In Christ's Church,Councils are the determining factor

    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 1, 2003
      Serge Rust wrote:

      > Now you tell us that Archbishop Afanassy also shared this position!
      >
      > All ROCOR bishops (In Christ's Church, Councils are the determining
      > factor) shared the anti-ecumenist position, not just HTM.

      JRS: All the ROCOR bishops still do reject ecumenism, as do, so far as
      I know, all the priests.

      > Fr John, you did not answer my question: why was the anathema «a
      > damage»?

      JRS: Because, although its contents are true and Orthodox, the *fact*
      of this anathema has been used almost exclusively as a means of
      attacking ROCOR.

      Thus, for example, one could cite your own anti-ROCOR posts, based on
      this anathema.

      > Is this your personal or your official opinion?

      JRS: I am a parish priest -- not a bishop. So I don't really see where
      one would draw the line between "personal" and "official" opinions.

      > Does your bishop bless it?

      JRS: My view is based on what my bishop has told me.

      > Are we going to be judged on our personal or on our official
      > statements?

      JRS: Both.

      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 1, 2003
        Serge Rust wrote:

        > Now you tell us that Archbishop Afanassy also shared this position!
        >
        > All ROCOR bishops (In Christ's Church, Councils are the determining
        > factor) shared the anti-ecumenist position, not just HTM.

        JRS: All the ROCOR bishops still do reject ecumenism, as do, so far as
        I know, all the priests.

        > Fr John, you did not answer my question: why was the anathema «a
        > damage»?

        JRS: Because, although its contents are true and Orthodox, the *fact*
        of this anathema has been used almost exclusively as a means of
        attacking ROCOR.

        Thus, for example, one could cite your own anti-ROCOR posts, based on
        this anathema.

        > Is this your personal or your official opinion?

        JRS: I am a parish priest -- not a bishop. So I don't really see where
        one would draw the line between "personal" and "official" opinions.

        > Does your bishop bless it?

        JRS: My view is based on what my bishop has told me.

        > Are we going to be judged on our personal or on our official
        > statements?

        JRS: Both.