RE: [orthodox-synod] Re: In Christ's Church,Councils are the determining factor

  • larry most
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 1, 2003
      Glory to Jesus Christ - Glory to Him forever
      I'm sorry, but when I was in the OCA church, I never saw an ikon to "St. Francis". nor did I see any troparion or kontakion for him. That dosen't mean that they don't exist, just that at St. Nicholas we never saw or heard of them. It seems like we used to refeer to him as "Blessed Francis", although I could be wrong.
      Love in Christ,
      Sub-deacon Lawrence
      PS I do wonder about "New Skete" though.
      "P. Joshua Hatala" <Josh_providence@...> wrote:I've visited an OCA parish(not associated with new
      skete) that displays an icon of St.Francis. I kept
      looking at it thinking it might be someone else. No
      such luck.

      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 1, 2003
        Serge Rust wrote:

        > Now you tell us that Archbishop Afanassy also shared this position!
        >
        > All ROCOR bishops (In Christ's Church, Councils are the determining
        > factor) shared the anti-ecumenist position, not just HTM.

        JRS: All the ROCOR bishops still do reject ecumenism, as do, so far as
        I know, all the priests.

        > Fr John, you did not answer my question: why was the anathema «a
        > damage»?

        JRS: Because, although its contents are true and Orthodox, the *fact*
        of this anathema has been used almost exclusively as a means of
        attacking ROCOR.

        Thus, for example, one could cite your own anti-ROCOR posts, based on
        this anathema.

        > Is this your personal or your official opinion?

        JRS: I am a parish priest -- not a bishop. So I don't really see where
        one would draw the line between "personal" and "official" opinions.

        > Does your bishop bless it?

        JRS: My view is based on what my bishop has told me.

        > Are we going to be judged on our personal or on our official
        > statements?

        JRS: Both.