[orthodox-synod] Re: Typika, set up for a reader service, now online

  • fraese
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
      There are additions to this service which make it different from the one in
      the Horologian published by Holy Trinity Monastery, ie. the Entry Hymn and
      the Troparia are not included in the Horologion nor is the Megalynarion.
      Why the difference?
      Theodora

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
        --- fraese <fraese@...> wrote:
        > There are additions to this service which make it
        > different from the one in
        > the Horologian published by Holy Trinity Monastery,
        > ie. the Entry Hymn and
        > the Troparia are not included in the Horologion nor
        > is the Megalynarion.
        > Why the difference?
        > Theodora

        What is in the Horologion is the standard service of
        Typika. What I posted is Typika set up as a reader
        service, to be used when a priest is not available to
        serve the liturgy that would have been served. The
        order of service is based on the Typikon for reader
        services translated by Fr. George Lardas. My
        understanding is that this is a translation of an
        order laid out by Vladika Daniel, and follows Old Rite
        practice.

        Obviously, there are variations in practice when it
        comes to doing reader's typika... and if someone
        prefers to stick with the order found in the
        Horologion, then I certainly would not argue with
        them. However, for those who are in mission
        situations in which they very often are doing typika
        because a priest is not available to serve -- and
        especially for those who are isolated, and very rarely
        are able to attend a liturgy -- it is nice to be able
        to do more, rather than less.

        For example, if you were unable to attend the liturgy
        on Pascha... wouldn't it be a bummer to only be able
        to do the Kontakion of the feast at Typika, rather
        than the festal antiphons, the entry verse, the
        troparion, and the Megalynarion of the feast? It
        would be enough of a bummer to not be able to attend
        the liturgy.

        -Deacon John Whiteford

        =====