[orthodox-synod] Re: Typika, set up for a reader service, now online

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
      Der Fr. Deacon John,

      Good job!

      Just on first glance, however, I strongly recommend enlarging the print for
      the rubrics - those of us with terminal "elder-eyes" have difficulty reading
      that tiny, tiny, italicized print...

      :-)

      Elizabeth, a sinner
      and Perennial Student

      1999 Southern Orthodox Missions Conference
      *Establishing Community Roots Through Personal Spiritual Growth*
      Cumming, GA (Atlanta, GA area)
      November 12th -14th.

      Registration deadline: October 1st but registrations will continue to be
      accepted!

      For more information about the conference, please see our website at
      http://www.monastery.org/conference .
      Personal WEB-page:
      http://www.mindspring.com/~ewriggs/church.htm
      JOY OF ALL WHO SORROW CHURCH
      Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
      6728 Campground Road
      Cumming, GA 30130
      http://www.avana.net/~fralexis
      Save, O Lord, Thy people, and bless Thine
      inheritance; grant Thou unto Orthodox
      Christians victory over enemies; and by
      the power of Thy Cross do Thou preserve
      Thy commonwealth.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
        There are additions to this service which make it different from the one in
        the Horologian published by Holy Trinity Monastery, ie. the Entry Hymn and
        the Troparia are not included in the Horologion nor is the Megalynarion.
        Why the difference?
        Theodora

        > I've had this on my old klunky home p.c. for some
        > time, but now have a decent home computer, and a web
        > page to put it on. I had to re type it, becase the
        > old one had a 5 1/4 floppy drive, and the new one
        > doesn't... so there may be errors, and so please let
        > me know if you find any.
        >

        > =====

        > @Backup - The #1 Online Backup Service. Protect your files before
        > you lose them. Easy, Reliable, Secure online backups. INSTALL
        > today. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/938
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

      • Deacon John Whiteford
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
          --- fraese <fraese@...> wrote:
          > There are additions to this service which make it
          > different from the one in
          > the Horologian published by Holy Trinity Monastery,
          > ie. the Entry Hymn and
          > the Troparia are not included in the Horologion nor
          > is the Megalynarion.
          > Why the difference?
          > Theodora

          What is in the Horologion is the standard service of
          Typika. What I posted is Typika set up as a reader
          service, to be used when a priest is not available to
          serve the liturgy that would have been served. The
          order of service is based on the Typikon for reader
          services translated by Fr. George Lardas. My
          understanding is that this is a translation of an
          order laid out by Vladika Daniel, and follows Old Rite
          practice.

          Obviously, there are variations in practice when it
          comes to doing reader's typika... and if someone
          prefers to stick with the order found in the
          Horologion, then I certainly would not argue with
          them. However, for those who are in mission
          situations in which they very often are doing typika
          because a priest is not available to serve -- and
          especially for those who are isolated, and very rarely
          are able to attend a liturgy -- it is nice to be able
          to do more, rather than less.

          For example, if you were unable to attend the liturgy
          on Pascha... wouldn't it be a bummer to only be able
          to do the Kontakion of the feast at Typika, rather
          than the festal antiphons, the entry verse, the
          troparion, and the Megalynarion of the feast? It
          would be enough of a bummer to not be able to attend
          the liturgy.

          -Deacon John Whiteford

          =====