The suffering Russian Church.

  • P. Joshua Hatala
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
      During liturgy, Synod parishes still pray that the
      Russian people will be freed from the "Godless
      Authority". At least visibly, politically, etc. this
      freedom has come. Since the fall of the Soviet Union,
      has the concept of the power of the "Godless
      Authority" changed? Is the "Godless Authority"
      mentioned in the litany now referring to the effects
      of the godless authority?(i.e. 'sergianism',
      ecumenism, ex-kgb hierarchy,etc) that the Church must
      be freed from? Or is there another reason to continue
      praying for freedom from the godless ones?

      Thanks.
      In Christ,
      P.Hatala

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Elias Gorsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
        After the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the Synod, 10 years or so ago,
        issued a directive changing the petitions, substituting "enemies both
        visible and invisible" for the "Godless authority" (and other related
        changes). Some priests (and bishops?), however, have resisted implementing
        the directive.

        archpriest Ilya Gorsky

      • Priest Seraphim Holland
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
          The litany was changed by ukaz some years ago to:

          For the much suffering Russian Land and its Orthodox people both in the
          homeland and in the diaspora, and for their salvation, let us pray to the
          Lord.

          That He may deliver His people from enemies both visible and invisible,
          and confirm in us oneness of mind, brotherly love, and piety, let us pray
          to the Lord.

          P. Joshua Hatala wrote:

          > During liturgy, Synod parishes still pray that the
          > Russian people will be freed from the "Godless
          > Authority". At least visibly, politically, etc. this
          > freedom has come. Since the fall of the Soviet Union,
          > has the concept of the power of the "Godless
          > Authority" changed? Is the "Godless Authority"
          > mentioned in the litany now referring to the effects
          > of the godless authority?(i.e. 'sergianism',
          > ecumenism, ex-kgb hierarchy,etc) that the Church must
          > be freed from? Or is there another reason to continue
          > praying for freedom from the godless ones?
          >
          > Thanks.
          > In Christ,
          > P.Hatala

          > http://taxes.yahoo.com/

          Priest Seraphim Holland | seraphim@... PHONE: 972/529-2754
          CELL PHONE/PAGES: 214 658-5433 ADDR:2102 Summit, McKinney, TX 75071
          Sermons, Q&A about Orthodox topics, Confession, FAQs, Parish info,links, more
          --> http://www.orthodox.net <--
        • Rev. Sergei Overt
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
            The Orthodox Episcopate of the Church of Russia;
            for our lord the Very Most Reverend
            Metropolitan Laurus, First Hierarch of the
            Russian Church Abroad; and for our lord the
            Most Reverend_________(whose ever diocese
            it is)....ect.

            .....for the much-suffering Russian Land and her
            Orthodox people both in the homeland and in
            the diaspora and for their salvation.

            .......we pray to the Lord our God that He
            may deliver His people from enemies visible
            and invisible and confirm in us oneness of mind,
            brotherly love and piety.

            This is the way we pray for our Church authorities
            and for our Russian homeland in ROCOR today.

            "Enemies visible and invisible" could mean
            all godlessness that is now spread throughout the world.
            There are atheists and people hostile to Christianity
            in every country. In America also!

            Fr. Sergei Overt

            > After the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the Synod, 10 years or so ago,
            > issued a directive changing the petitions, substituting "enemies both
            > visible and invisible" for the "Godless authority" (and other related
            > changes). Some priests (and bishops?), however, have resisted implementing
            > the directive.
            >
            > archpriest Ilya Gorsky

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Nectarios
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
              >>During liturgy, Synod parishes still pray that the
              >>Russian people will be freed from the "Godless
              >>Authority". At least visibly, politically, etc. this
              >>freedom has come. Since the fall of the Soviet Union,
              >>has the concept of the power of the "Godless
              >>Authority" changed? Is the "Godless Authority"
              >>mentioned in the litany now referring to the effects
              >>of the godless authority?

              Well I don't know about you, but I haven't seen that petition read that way in quite a while. All the new ROCOR books I have seen, read "save us from enemies both visible and invisible," when they used to read "save us from the bitter torment of the godless authorities."

              Am I correct in this? Or "off the boat" again? :o)

              In Christ's Love,
              Rdr. Nectarios Yangson

              During liturgy, Synod parishes still pray that the
              Russian people will be freed from the "Godless
              Authority". At least visibly, politically, etc. this
              freedom has come. Since the fall of the Soviet Union,
              has the concept of the power of the "Godless
              Authority" changed? Is the "Godless Authority"
              mentioned in the litany now referring to the effects
              of the godless authority?(i.e. 'sergianism',
              ecumenism, ex-kgb hierarchy,etc) that the Church must
              be freed from? Or is there another reason to continue
              praying for freedom from the godless ones?

              Thanks.
              In Christ,
              P.Hatala

              Posts to this list need to be signed with your full (and real) name.

            • stefanvpavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@netscap
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
                7920
              • StephenATL
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
                  I think these petitions of the litanies should be edited to reflect the
                  current situation.

                  I use the Jordanville Prayerbook for my daily prayers; at the morning
                  «Prayer for the Salvation of Russia» I edit it to say:

                  O Lord Jesus Christ our God, forgive our iniquities. Through the
                  intercessions of Thy Most Pure Mother, save ALL SUFFERING ORTHODOX
                  CHRISTIANS, (ESPECIALLY THE SERBIAN AND PALESTINIAN ORTHODOX
                  PEOPLES) from godless enemies and persecution.

                  and the petition: Save, O Lord, and have mercy on ALL Orthodox
                  Lands, and their people; both in the homeland and in the diaspora.
                  Save also and have mercy on this *American* (German, French,
                  Australian, English, etc........ substitute whichever) land and it's
                  authorities.

                  (Whether or not we should have full communion with the Serbs....... I
                  see both sides of the argument and am torn between the two.......... I
                  insist that we should still pray for them DAILY as they continue to
                  suffer much from the godless Muslim Albanians and others.......)

                  The poor Palestinian Orthodox Christians are being persecuted on two
                  sides........ by the godless Jews and by their godless brother Muslim
                  Palestinians. God save them!

                  Stephanos