Re: [orthodox-synod] Met.Anastassy's Last Will and Testament of 1957

    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 26, 2003
      Michael Nikitin wrote:

      > Fr.Alexander conveniently left out Metr.Anastassy's Pastoral
      Address of
      > 1959 and his last will and testament of 1957. It clearly shows that
      our
      > previous First Hierarch didn't recognize the MP. Will Fr.Alexander
      change
      > his opinion when he reads all the facts?

      JRS: Fr. Alexander has read these texts and commented extensively on
      them.

      Thus for example:

      > "As regards the Moscow Patriarchate and its hierarchs, then, *so long
      as they
      > continue in close, active and benevolent cooperation with the Soviet
      > Government, which openly professes its complete godlessness and
      strives to
      > implant atheism in the entire Russian nation*, then the Church
      Abroad,
      > maintaining Her purity, must not have any canonical, liturgical or
      even
      > simply external communion with them whatsoever, leaving each one of
      them at
      > the same time to the final judgement of the Council (Sobor) of the
      > futurefree Russian Church."

      JRS: Now the words "so long as" are obviously a CONDITION.

      Today, the Russian government no longer "professes its complete
      godlessness and strives to implant atheism in the entire Russian
      nation".

      President Putin openly professes Orthodox Christianity, and he was
      sworn in before the Patriarch, with the Cross and Gospel in front of
      him.

      That is far more than can be said of any American president.

      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 8, 2003
        Vladimir Moss wrote:

        I have faith - that is,
        > certain belief - in the prophecies of the saints concerning the
        resurrection
        > of Holy Russia through a True Orthodox Tsar who will overthrow almost
        all the
        > hierarchs of the official church. You do not have this faith.

        JRS: Did it ever occur to you that what you are yearning for is quite
        contrary to the Canons?

        However, we ought not to be as concerned about the future, as about the
        present. Who can say how long any of us might live?

        Somewhere C. S. Lewis wrote that the communists lived for the future,
        and justified everything they did by the utopia that was to come. But
        while their expected utopia never came, what was real was all the
        destruction and murder they committed trying to achieve it.

        It is quite possible to live for a "future Tsardom" that we may never
        see. But all of the discord, the schisms, the confusion of the faithful
        supposedly justified by that future reign of justice on earth, is real
        enough.