Met.Anastassy's Last Will and Testament of 1957

  • Michael Nikitin
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2003
      Dear List,

      Fr.Alexander conveniently left out Metr.Anastassy's Pastoral Address of
      1959 and his last will and testament of 1957. It clearly shows that our
      previous First Hierarch didn't recognize the MP. Will Fr.Alexander change
      his opinion when he reads all the facts?

      Pastoral Address of Metropolite Anastassy at the opening of the
      Sobor of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia,
      held during October 5-18, 1959.

      " And we must not only teach others, but ourselves also fulfil, following
      the examples of the Moscow Saints, whom we have commemorated today. They
      stand before us as Orthodox Zealots, and we must follow their example,
      turning aside completely from the dishonesty of those who have now occupied
      their throne. Oh if they could but arise; they not only would not recognise
      any of their successions, but rather would have turned against them with
      severe condemnation.
      With what zeal St. Phillip would be set aflame against the weak faith
      representatives of the Church, who indifferently look and see how the
      innocent blood of their flock flows, and yet do not condemn the enemies of
      the Church, but endeavour in every manner to flatter the atheists in
      authority. How the great adamantine Patriarch Germogen would have arisen in
      righteous indignation, seeing the hierarchy remain deceitfully silent at a
      time when atheistic propaganda is being circulated widely, forgetting that
      by their silence they are betraying God. Let us in every way turn aside
      from them, but at the same time let us arm ourselves with apostolic zeal.
      We must avoid as a pestilence every kind of contact with them. You know that
      these people with thoroughly burned consciences will never cease from waging
      war on us, although they constantly change their methods of warfare".

      Then in his last will and testament of 1957:
      "As regards the Moscow Patriarchate and its hierarchs, then, so long as they
      continue in close, active and benevolent cooperation with the Soviet
      Government, which openly professes its complete godlessness and strives to
      implant atheism in the entire Russian nation, then the Church Abroad,
      maintaining Her purity, must not have any canonical, liturgical or even
      simply external communion with them whatsoever, leaving each one of them at
      the same time to the final judgement of the Council (Sobor) of the
      futurefree Russian Church."

      Michael N.

    • lmickle@concentric.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2003
        Michael Nikitin said: Fr.Alexander conveniently left out Metr.Anastassy's
        Pastoral Address of
        1959 and his last will and testament of 1957. It clearly shows that our
        previous First Hierarch didn't recognize the MP. Will Fr.Alexander change
        his opinion when he reads all the facts?

        M.N. also kindly provided the text of the testament:
        "As regards the Moscow Patriarchate and its hierarchs, then, so long as they
        continue in close, active and benevolent cooperation with the Soviet
        Government, which openly professes its complete godlessness and strives to
        implant atheism in the entire Russian nation, then the Church Abroad,
        maintaining Her purity, must not have any canonical, liturgical or even
        simply external communion with them whatsoever, leaving each one of them at
        the same time to the final judgement of the Council (Sobor) of the
        futurefree Russian Church."

        Deacon Leonid says: Thank you for posting the text. If, instead of
        repeatedly citing the testament as reason never to have contact with the MP,
        how about actually reading the words on the page?

        Did Metropolitan Anastassy say "must _never_ have any canonical, liturgical,
        or even simply external communion with them whatsoever??

        No. He said "so long as they continue in close, active and benevolent
        cooperation with the Soviet Government, which openly professes its complete
        godlessness and strives to implant atheism in the entire Russian nation..."
        and that each of the hierarchs will be left "to the judgment of the Council
        (Sobor) of the future free Russian Church..."

        I may not like some of the economic, social, or political policies of the
        government in Moscow, but I cannot pretend the historical fact that neither
        the Soviet Union nor the Soviet Governement exists. The CIS/SNG is pretty
        much a fiction, and now there is a country called the Russian Federation,
        which has its own elected government. The government of the Russian
        Federation does not "profess complete godlessness," it does not "strive to
        implant atheism in the entire Russian nation." Is the current government
        even trying to impede the spread of Orthodoxy throughout Russia? The number
        of parish churches, monasteries, seminaries, and religious schools is
        steadily growing. Moscow is close to being able to reclaim its old title as
        the city of "forty forties" - i.e. a city with 1,600 churches. (I believe
        that the Moscow okrug alone currently has "only" slightly over 1,100).
        There are now churches or chapels at many military installations and
        government offices, and in some areas the Law of God is being taught in
        public schools. You may have followed the debate between atheists and
        believers in the government over the introduction of the series _Foundations
        of Orthodox Culture_, published by the Sretensky Monastery (The Monastery of
        the Meeting of the Vladimir Mother of God, in Moscow) as part of the public
        school curriculum. It is simply disingenuous to suggest that the state of
        the MP or the state of the Russian Government has not changed since the year
        1957, or to suggest that what Metropolitan Anastassy meant to say was
        something other than what he actually said!

        In anticipation of the coming spamfest: I am in no way attempting to deny or
        justify the sad history of MP church/atheist state collaboration in the
        past, and in no way do I suggest that there are no remaining obstacles along
        the path to healing of the rifts in the ROC, and to the Pomestniy Sobor at
        which all of the now-sundered parts of the ROC will have to give an account
        of themselves.

        Deacon Leonid Mickle
      • stefanvpavlenko <StefanVPavlenko@netscap
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2003
          "...so long as they continue in close, active and benevolent
          cooperation with the Soviet Government, which openly professes its
          complete godlessness and strives to implant atheism in the entire
          Russian nation,..." Blessed Metropolitan Anastassy circa 1950's.

          __________________

          So --allowing: building Churches, filling monasteries with monks
          and nuns, publishing Sacred Books and religious materials, teaching
          religion to children, having processions of the Cross with Icons and
          Holy Relics across the countryside, making pilgrimages to Holy Sites,
          blessing homes, offices, and factories, establishing chaplains for
          the military, baptizing, marrying, burying millions of Christians all
          over Russia--- is the same as flinging the faithful into Gulags to
          their death.

          The Holy Fathers of our Russian Orthodox Church would thank God for
          the changes and would have made the APPROPRIATE ADJUSTMENTS!
          Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Nikitin"

        • goossir <irene.goossens@cec.eu.int>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2003
            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "stefanvpavlenko
            <StefanVPavlenko@n...>" <StefanVPavlenko@n...> wrote:

            > "...so long as they continue in close, active and benevolent
            > cooperation with the Soviet Government, which openly professes its
            > complete godlessness and strives to implant atheism in the entire
            > Russian nation,..." Blessed Metropolitan Anastassy circa 1950's.
            > __________________
            >
            > So --allowing: building Churches, filling monasteries with monks
            > and nuns, publishing Sacred Books and religious materials, teaching
            > religion to children, having processions of the Cross with Icons
            and
            > Holy Relics across the countryside, making pilgrimages to Holy
            Sites,
            > blessing homes, offices, and factories, establishing chaplains for
            > the military, baptizing, marrying, burying millions of Christians
            all
            > over Russia--- is the same as flinging the faithful into Gulags to
            > their death.
            ______________________________________-

            Seizing our monasteries in the Holy Land, justifying the past
            collaboration with the atheist government as a clever/bold step,
            eucumenism, strange business deeds - all this without being oppressed.

            What our Holy Fathers would say about it?

            Irina Pahlen

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
              Irina Pahlen wrote:
              "Seizing our monasteries in the Holy Land,"

              ________________________________--
              When they did that, Irina, did YOU fly to the Holy land to support
              the Church Abroad position, did you visit our nuns who were holding
              on to our property, did you stand next to our abbesses as they faced
              down machine-gun armed Palestinian Authority soldiers and Soviet
              holdover agents of the Russian Federation and angry over zealous
              clergy of the Moscow Patriarchate... no, I didn't think so!
              So please do not give me a lesson on what is still bad and needs
              correcting.
              Thank God for what is GOOD and HE will send more good and a final
              victory.
              Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "goossir

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
                Dear Father Stefan, bless.

                You write:
                " did YOU fly to the Holy land…?"
                "…please do not give me a lesson…"

                Did I have to fly? Are you accusing me? If yes, it does in no way
                erase the misdeeds of the MP.

                Did the MP forcefully seize our monasteries or did it not?

                Come on, Father Stefan, be serious!

                I do not teach you any lesson, and I do not accuse you. Do you
                suggest that we say to the MP: "You do not have to repent, you are
                all right"?

                I was just asking what would our Holy Fathers say today about the MP
                deeds - that is all. I still do.

                I do thank God for the good He is doing and that is why I cannot
                approve those who cheat and steal Him.

                Yours in Christ,

                Irina P