[orthodox-synod] Typika, set up for a reader service, now online

  • Deacon John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 1999
      http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/typica.htm

      I've had this on my old klunky home p.c. for some
      time, but now have a decent home computer, and a web
      page to put it on. I had to re type it, becase the
      old one had a 5 1/4 floppy drive, and the new one
      doesn't... so there may be errors, and so please let
      me know if you find any.

      =====
    • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
        Der Fr. Deacon John,

        Good job!

        Just on first glance, however, I strongly recommend enlarging the print for
        the rubrics - those of us with terminal "elder-eyes" have difficulty reading
        that tiny, tiny, italicized print...

        :-)

        Elizabeth, a sinner
        and Perennial Student

        1999 Southern Orthodox Missions Conference
        *Establishing Community Roots Through Personal Spiritual Growth*
        Cumming, GA (Atlanta, GA area)
        November 12th -14th.

        Registration deadline: October 1st but registrations will continue to be
        accepted!

        For more information about the conference, please see our website at
        http://www.monastery.org/conference .
        Personal WEB-page:
        http://www.mindspring.com/~ewriggs/church.htm
        JOY OF ALL WHO SORROW CHURCH
        Russian Orthodox Church Abroad
        6728 Campground Road
        Cumming, GA 30130
        http://www.avana.net/~fralexis
        Save, O Lord, Thy people, and bless Thine
        inheritance; grant Thou unto Orthodox
        Christians victory over enemies; and by
        the power of Thy Cross do Thou preserve
        Thy commonwealth.

        > I've had this on my old klunky home p.c. for some
        > time, but now have a decent home computer, and a web
        > page to put it on. I had to re type it, becase the
        > old one had a 5 1/4 floppy drive, and the new one
        > doesn't... so there may be errors, and so please let
        > me know if you find any.
        >

        > =====

        > @Backup - The #1 Online Backup Service. Protect your files before
        > you lose them. Easy, Reliable, Secure online backups. INSTALL
        > today. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/938
        >

        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

      • fraese
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
          There are additions to this service which make it different from the one in
          the Horologian published by Holy Trinity Monastery, ie. the Entry Hymn and
          the Troparia are not included in the Horologion nor is the Megalynarion.
          Why the difference?
          Theodora

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 1999
            --- fraese <fraese@...> wrote:
            > There are additions to this service which make it
            > different from the one in
            > the Horologian published by Holy Trinity Monastery,
            > ie. the Entry Hymn and
            > the Troparia are not included in the Horologion nor
            > is the Megalynarion.
            > Why the difference?
            > Theodora

            What is in the Horologion is the standard service of
            Typika. What I posted is Typika set up as a reader
            service, to be used when a priest is not available to
            serve the liturgy that would have been served. The
            order of service is based on the Typikon for reader
            services translated by Fr. George Lardas. My
            understanding is that this is a translation of an
            order laid out by Vladika Daniel, and follows Old Rite
            practice.

            Obviously, there are variations in practice when it
            comes to doing reader's typika... and if someone
            prefers to stick with the order found in the
            Horologion, then I certainly would not argue with
            them. However, for those who are in mission
            situations in which they very often are doing typika
            because a priest is not available to serve -- and
            especially for those who are isolated, and very rarely
            are able to attend a liturgy -- it is nice to be able
            to do more, rather than less.

            For example, if you were unable to attend the liturgy
            on Pascha... wouldn't it be a bummer to only be able
            to do the Kontakion of the feast at Typika, rather
            than the festal antiphons, the entry verse, the
            troparion, and the Megalynarion of the feast? It
            would be enough of a bummer to not be able to attend
            the liturgy.

            -Deacon John Whiteford

            =====