[orthodox-synod] Re: Question

  • Rev. John R. Shaw
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 6, 1999
      In fact, I remember some years back when in the Church Abroad, too, most
      cathedrals had a "pastor" who was a priest.
      When I was in high school and college, Vl. Seraphim of Chicago
      and Detroit, of blessed memory, was commemorated regularly at all
      services in the hermitage at Mahopac, NY which he had founded, and when I
      studied in Munich I discovered that he was also commemorated in the
      Monastery of St. Job there--perhaps on the grounds that he was still
      theoretically the head of the Brotherhood of St. Job of Pochaev.
      Fr. John R. Shaw
      > the
      cathedral, and the rector was the senior among them. It is only
      in > the Russian Church Abroad that we observe the phenomenon of assigning
      > ruling bishops as the rectors of their cathedrals. There was probably a
      > legal or other practical reason for this, but it is a departure from the
      > more standard Russian practice.
      >
      > As for Vladyka Alexander being the rector of the Holy Protection parish in
      > Los Angeles, this is a situation not entirely without precedent. Clearly
      > in that parish the name of the diocesean hierarch, Archbishop Antony, is
      > commemorated at every service, and the name of the rector, Bishop
      > Alexander, is commemorated when he is present. Vladyka Mitrofan, the
      > Bishop of Boston, is the rector of St Seraphim's church in Sea Cliff on
      > Long Island, and yet his parish is not within the territory of his
      > vicariate. Within both of these parishes, Los Angeles and Sea Cliff, the
      > rector-Bishops funciton as rectors of their parishes under the omophorion
      > of the ruling hierarch, yet exercise more authority within the territory
      > for which they are canonically responsible (Vl. Alexander's diocese and
      > Vl. Mitrofan's vicariate). As long as the ruling hierarchs agree, there
      > is no prohibition of a bishop serving as the rector of a parish (or
      > monastery) in another diocese. And particularly within the small
      > administrative framework of our Church, it is easy to make such
      > arrangements, since all our bishops know each other well.
      >
      > In Christ,
      > Joseph

      > @Backup - The #1 Online Backup Service. Protect your files before
      > you lose them. Easy, Reliable, Secure online backups. INSTALL
      > today. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/938
      >

      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod

    • CHRIS N CALIN
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 8, 1999
        > It is only in the Russian Church Abroad that we observe the
        phenomenon of
        > assigning ruling bishops as the rectors of their cathedrals. There
        was probably a
        > legal or other practical reason for this, but it is a departure from
        the more standard
        > Russian practice.
        > In Christ,
        > Joseph

        The Cathedral of the Diocese of NY/NJ of the Orthodox Church in America
        has had the ruling hierarch as rector since it ceased to function as the
        pro-Cahtedral for the former metropolia in the early 80's. A
        Priest-in-Charge (nastoyatel) is assigned to administer the parish.
        FrC+

        Hieromonk Christopher (Calin), Priest-in-Charge
        Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the
        Holy Virgin Protection
        59 E. 2nd Street New York, NY 10003
        Ph. (212) 677-4664 fax: (212)475-7867
      • Reader Constantine Wright
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 17, 1999
          grsfm@... wrote:

          > As for Vladyka Alexander being the rector of the Holy Protection parish in
          > Los Angeles, this is a situation not entirely without precedent. Clearly
          > in that parish the name of the diocesean hierarch, Archbishop Antony, is
          > commemorated at every service, and the name of the rector, Bishop
          > Alexander, is commemorated when he is present. Vladyka Mitrofan, the
          > Bishop of Boston, is the rector of St Seraphim's church in Sea Cliff on
          > Long Island, and yet his parish is not within the territory of his
          > vicariate. Within both of these parishes, Los Angeles and Sea Cliff, the
          > rector-Bishops funciton as rectors of their parishes under the omophorion
          > of the ruling hierarch,

          My thanks to Joseph and Fr. John for answering this question.

          In Christ,
          Rd. Constantine

          +Reader Constantine Wright Joy of All Who Sorrow Church+
          +5485 Stanford Village Lane Diocese of New York and Eastern America+
          +Norcros, GA 30071 Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia+
          +770-441-9242 Cumming (North Atlanta) Georgia+
          +http://members.tripod.com/~constans_wright 770-886-7111+
          +constans@... OR constans@... +
          + In Truth -- Unity + SOUTHERN MISSIONS CONFERENCE +
          + In Opinions -- Liberty + ATLANTA GA, NOVEMBER 12TH-14TH +
          + In All Things -- Charity + CALL 404-943-1204 FOR DETAILS +
        • Robert Miller
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
            It would be interesting to know how many parishes of ROCA
            today had special prayers for Mother Maria/Sr Anastasia
            (Stephanopoulos), who is fighting the Synod's battle in
            Jericho.

            Joseph M
          • emrys`nz
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
              Yes!
              Hieromonk Ambrose
              Our Lady of Kazan Russian Orthodox Church
              PO Box 27 563 / Wellington / New Zealand
              Tel: +64(0)4-384-7211 / emrys@...

              >It would be interesting to know how many parishes of ROCA
              >today had special prayers for Mother Maria/Sr Anastasia
              >(Stephanopoulos), who is fighting the Synod's battle in
              >Jericho.
              >
              >Joseph M

              -
              >Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name is
              required, but it is your choice as to whether or not your profile is
              visible to others. If you don't have web access, e-mail this same
              information to orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

              -
              >For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them
              from
              >anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win
              >digital camera.

              >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=orthodox-synod&m=1

            • David
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
                > It would be interesting to know how many parishes of ROCA
                > today had special prayers for Mother Maria/Sr Anastasia
                > (Stephanopoulos), who is fighting the Synod's battle in
                > Jericho.
                >
                > Joseph M

                (snip)

                Our parish certainly did! Our priest also asked us all to continue to pray
                and to call whomever we could to voice our protest.

                Rdr. Paul Wright
                Our Lady Joy of All Who Sorrow
                Cumming, GA
              • Priest Mark Gilstrap
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
                  > From: Robert Miller <rsjmil@...>
                  > > It would be interesting to know how many parishes of ROCA
                  > > today had special prayers for Mother Maria/Sr Anastasia
                  > > (Stephanopoulos), who is fighting the Synod's battle in
                  > > Jericho.

                  St James in Oklahoma did. I would guess it was a
                  fairly widespread practice. Does anyone know if
                  Sr(?) Christina Gerecke was among those expelled?

                  Priest Mark
                • Timothy Tadros
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
                    Sister Christina I believe is at Gethsemane monastery
                    Reader Timothy Tadros

                    Priest Mark Gilstrap wrote:

                    > > From: Robert Miller <rsjmil@...>
                    > > > It would be interesting to know how many parishes of ROCA
                    > > > today had special prayers for Mother Maria/Sr Anastasia
                    > > > (Stephanopoulos), who is fighting the Synod's battle in
                    > > > Jericho.
                    >
                    > St James in Oklahoma did. I would guess it was a
                    > fairly widespread practice. Does anyone know if
                    > Sr(?) Christina Gerecke was among those expelled?
                    >
                    > Priest Mark

                    > Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name is required, but it is your choice as to whether or not your profile is visible to others. If you don't have web access, e-mail this same information to orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

                    > For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
                    > anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
                    > digital camera.
                    >
                    > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/orthodox-synod/
                  • Reader Alban Mosher
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
                      During the coffee hour at St. Michael the Archangel Orthodox Church (OCA) in
                      St. Louis, I gave a brief update to the members of the parish of things
                      happening in the Orthodox Church today, such as the pending withdrawal of
                      the Serbian Orthodox Church from the WCC, the (still to be confirmed)
                      reception of the Christ the Saviour Brotherhood by the Patriarchate of
                      Jerusalem, and the seizure of the convent in Jericho by the Palestinian
                      Authority under Yasser Arafat and the Moscow Patriarchate. The general
                      attitude that as expressed by the people was shock and sadness that the
                      Moscow Patriarchate would indulge in such things and that it could only
                      further rend the unity of the Russian Orthodox Church.

                      In IC XC,
                      Alban Mosher, Reader

                      > It would be interesting to know how many parishes of ROCA
                      > today had special prayers for Mother Maria/Sr Anastasia
                      > (Stephanopoulos), who is fighting the Synod's battle in
                      > Jericho.
                      >
                      > Joseph M

                      > Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name is
                      required, but it is your choice as to whether or not your profile is visible
                      to others. If you don't have web access, e-mail this same information to
                      orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

                      > For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
                      > anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
                      > digital camera.

                      > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=orthodox-synod&m=1

                    • Michael Tscheekar
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
                        Robert Miller wrote:

                        > It would be interesting to know how many parishes of ROCA
                        > today had special prayers for Mother Maria/Sr Anastasia
                        > (Stephanopoulos), who is fighting the Synod's battle in
                        > Jericho.
                        >
                        > Joseph M

                        Ours didn't, because we have no priest. This month, a priest from
                        another county will serve on two Sundays (1/9ns and 1/23ns) only.

                        Misha
                      • Robert Miller
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 16, 2000
                          That's very good to hear, truly. Good news. We must balance that against
                          some other verities. From what I've heard, the same Moscow Patriarchate
                          which obtained the Hebron monastery and yesterday the Jericho monastery is
                          the same Patriarchate which issued the Tomos establishing the Orthodox
                          Church in America. Comments from your OCA perspective
                          are welcomed and respected.

                          Joseph M

                          ----------

                        • zena0bo@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 17, 2000
                            Can someone please tell me how to go NO MAIL?
                            Thank You
                          • Daniel H. Shubin
                            Message 13 of 29 , May 28, 2001
                              Recently I read about a conflict about year 1480 between Tsar of Russia and
                              Metropolitan of Moscow regarding the direction of the procession of the
                              cross, whether it be with the sun or opposite to the sun. I do not
                              understand this route. Does this mean clock-wise or counter clock-wise? Or
                              something else.
                              If you can explain this to me please email me direct at danhshubin@...
                              Regards,
                              Dan Shubin
                              Los Angeles, CA.

                              ---
                            • Deacon Mark Smith
                              Message 14 of 29 , May 28, 2001
                                One would have to be from far enough north to understand that the sun is never directly over head, but appears to make a circle around us in a clock-wise direction. (From northeast to south to northwest.)
                                Recently I read about a conflict about year 1480 between Tsar of Russia and
                                Metropolitan of Moscow regarding the direction of the procession of the
                                cross, whether it be with the sun or opposite to the sun. I do not
                                understand this route. Does this mean clock-wise or counter clock-wise? Or
                                something else.
                                If you can explain this to me please email me direct at danhshubin@...
                                Regards,
                                Dan Shubin
                                Los Angeles, CA.

                                ---

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • V. J. Boitchenko
                                Message 15 of 29 , May 28, 2001
                                  What were the exact Russian words used? You have to keep in mind that in Russian Vostok (East) also means sunrise, and Zapad or Zahod (West) means sunset. In the 15th century the words for North and South were Polunoch (midnight) and Poluden (Noon).

                                  One would have to be from far enough north to understand that the sun is never directly over head, but appears to make a circle around us in a clock-wise direction. (From northeast to south to northwest.)
                                  Recently I read about a conflict about year 1480 between Tsar of Russia and
                                  Metropolitan of Moscow regarding the direction of the procession of the
                                  cross, whether it be with the sun or opposite to the sun. I do not
                                  understand this route. Does this mean clock-wise or counter clock-wise? Or
                                  something else.
                                  If you can explain this to me please email me direct at danhshubin@...
                                  Regards,
                                  Dan Shubin
                                  Los Angeles, CA.

                                  ---

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 29, 2001
                                    Actually, all you have to remember is the old Boy Scout rule: "moss grows
                                    on the North side of trees." In the Northern hemisphere, the South side is
                                    the "sunny side," the North side is the "dark" side (that's why moss is
                                    more likely to grow there). Ask any artist which side of a house he or she
                                    would like their studio on--they will always want a Southern
                                    exposure--that's where the light is best.

                                    So the Old Church Slavonik word "posolon'" means in the same direction of
                                    the Sun--that is, going clockwise. "Protiv solntsa" (against the Sun),
                                    means going counter-clockwise.

                                    The post-Nikonian Russian Church directed, in keeping with the practice of
                                    the ancient Orthodox Patriarchates, that censing around the Holy Table in
                                    the Altar should be done "against the Sun"--counter-clockwise. The Old
                                    Ritualists cense the Holy Table in the opposite direction, clockwise.

                                    It should be noted that the current practice of the Church is that Southern
                                    side is always censed before the Northern side--so censing proceeds as follows:

                                    Starting from a position before the Holy Table looking East, the priest
                                    censes the Holy Table from four sides moving counter-clockwise: The West,
                                    the South, the East, then the North. Then he censes the "High Place" and
                                    moves to cense the icons on the walls of the Altar on the South side, then
                                    goes back and censes the icons on the walls of the Altar on the North side.
                                    He then goes out the Royal Doors, and censes the iconostasis--again South
                                    side first, then the North side. He turns around and censes the klirosy and
                                    the people, again, first the South side, then the North side, and proceeds
                                    to cense around the Church, this time moving **clockwise** (that is, in the
                                    opposite direction that he moved when censing the Holy Table)--again, this
                                    makes the South side be censed first, and the North side last.

                                    So, the practice of the Church now is to always give preference to the
                                    South side as opposed to the North side.

                                    Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy should be happy.

                                    With love in Christ,

                                    Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                                  • Father Maximos
                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 29, 2001

                                      >So, the practice of the Church now is to always give preference to the
                                      >South side as opposed to the North side.
                                      >
                                      >Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy should be happy.
                                      >

                                      >With love in Christ,
                                      >
                                      >Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

                                      Very Happy :)

                                      Rev.Hieromonk Maximos
                                      Ascension Monastery
                                      Russian Orthodox Church
                                      Outside of Russia (ROCOR)
                                      706-277-9442 ( voice)
                                      775-640-2325 ( fax)
                                      http://www.monastery.org
                                      http://shop.monasteryproducts.org

                                    • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 30, 2001
                                        A few more comments regarding the preference to the South (and to the East)
                                        over the North and West.

                                        This is important when having a procession around the Church (such as on
                                        the parish feast day or during Bright Week). It is traditional to stop at
                                        each of the four sides of the Church and bless the people with the Cross or
                                        the Icon of the Feast in all four directions at each stop.

                                        Here is the correct order:

                                        The procession leaves the Church and turns left (towards the South), moving
                                        counter-clockwise. The first stop is on the South side of the Church. The
                                        first blessing is always given in the direction of the Church, where the
                                        processional cross, the banners, and the icons are situated (with the
                                        holders having their backs to the Church). So the blessings on the South
                                        side of the Church are 1) towards the North, 2) towards the South, 3)
                                        towards the East, and 4) towards the West.

                                        At the second stop, behind the Church on its East side, the Gospel is
                                        usually read, and then the blessings are: 1) towards the West, 2) towards
                                        the East, 3) towards the South, and 4) towards the North.

                                        At the third stop, on the North side, the blessings are: 1) towards the
                                        South, 2) towards the North, 3) towards the East and 4) towards the West.

                                        At the last stop, before the entrance to the Church, the blessings are: 1)
                                        towards the East, 2) towards the West, 3) towards the South, and 4) towards
                                        the North.

                                        Although this practice during processions is not described in the Typicon,
                                        we can see it in the rubrics for the Elevation of the Holy Cross on
                                        September 14, where the Typicon says that the Cross is brought out to the
                                        center of the Church, and the Cross is elevated five times: 1) towards the
                                        East, 2) towards the West, 3) towards the South (the Typikon calls it
                                        "towards the Noon side", 4) towards the North, and 5) towards the East again.

                                        With love in Christ,

                                        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
                                      • George
                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 26, 2007
                                          Am I correct that Jordanville's Holy Day is Sunday?
                                        • Carol
                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 26, 2007
                                            Dear In Christ , George,

                                            Will get back to you shortly on the answer to question. Our understanding is 'BOTH '( graduation and Pentecost will be held MONDAY BUT, my husband understood this, from Fr Luke.. But he may have not understtod correctly.. We are going Sunday for Liturgy. Have placed a call to our godfather Fr Cyprian, and left message sure he will get back to us soon, he may be at Trapeza, just now. Then will e-mail you. But THINK BOTH MONDAY that wil be very busy.. many, many people.. of Course, But will let you know for sure as soon as I hear FOR SURE....

                                            In Christ,

                                            Katherine
                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 26, 2007
                                              Um, Pentecost is Pentecost (ie 50 days after Pascha) and is
                                              celebrated accordingly on Sunday. Monday is the 2nd day of the feast
                                              ("Day of the Holy Spirit") but Holy Trinity Monastery's patronal
                                              feast is indeed Pentecost: this Sunday.

                                              With greetings of the feast,
                                              -_Elizabeth Ledkovsky

                                              Message 22 of 29 , May 27, 2007
                                                Dear in Christ, George,

                                                SUNDAY is PENTECOST at'' Jordanville.'' MONDAY the MAIN FEAST DAY and HOLY SPIRIT DAY, and GRADUATION......Hope you get this in time.

                                                Katherine
                                                Am I correct that Jordanville's Holy Day is Sunday?